Layout In A Crate

dseagull

You may have seen my 'Modelling Miscellany' forum post which sums up my current 'time & other issues' quite well.

However, I have been pondering how I can 'keep my hand in' until 'the big one' is an option.

Well, I've come up with the wholly unoriginal idea of a small, portable layout that can live on top of the wardrobe when not in use, but is small enough to be taken wherever there is space to work on it.

The general idea is as follows;

Late 70's/Early 80's, Southern Region electrified branch in order to run the 4-CEP and other forthcoming goodies. Potential for some shunting and through freight, but the main aim is something which will give me plenty to do scenically.

Me being me, however, I'm torn between two trackplans.

Plan A;

post-723-127292217845_thumb.png

Plan B;

post-723-127292219646_thumb.png

Setup is the same in both cases, with a 6 ft Scenic section, and one/possibly two, cassettes which act as fiddle yards, clipping into the top frame of the 'crate'.

Preliminary note to self; cassette is NOT to be used as handle ;)

Anyway, would be interested in any thoughts.

Cheers.

Interestingly, 'A' was originally designed as a Steam, Pre-Group even, layout - I've reused the plan. I then thought about the era etc, and came up with 'B' as a 'more modern' option (yes, I'm aware the trackplan is practically identical, but my 'minds eye' didn't see it this way!)

With a bit of adjustment to track ends, you could do both - and join them opposite ways around so that one becomes the "fiddle" for the other, the backing (backscene) board hiding the one that is acting as the "fiddle"

Yes, had thought of that - but it would make the width about 40", which is too big to fit in the intended home of the top of my wardrobe!

Have been fiddling with N Gauge plans as well (Fancy a Dapol Terrier and some of EtchedPixels pre-group coaching stock), or something 'Hellingly-esq' with a junction for a private railway, but can't really justify the expenditure of a whole new set of kit. Could do it in 00, but can't do it justice in the space.

To my eye, the car park wastes too much scenic space - a car park is a car park etc, once laid then no further scenic work possible. Plan A with the station building from Plan B and a small set down and pick up car park would give you much more scenic scope.

Dennis

Given A and B are very similar trackwise you could make the track itself and area between it constant (plus fix the bridge position) and make the two sides of the scenery drop one each side of the main layout section. Solves the problem both ways at once.

Alan

Again, thanks all for the thoughts and suggestions.

Something didn't sit quite right with either plan - namely lack of a 'decent run' (although it's hard to get that in 6 ft I appreciate!)

Therefore;

post-723-127342208842_thumb.png

The factory would be something despatching goods in Vans - Fertiliser/something bagged is an initial thought. Station building off scene, so probably some more trees along the side of the road. The other short siding is a refuge siding to hold a brake van or a couple of engineers wagons.

I think this one certainly looks much better, although always open to thoughts!

• RMweb Gold

Is there enough on-scene track in the upper platform line to provide a decent headshunt for the factory siding ?

If you moved the crossover points slightly (say a point length) to the left, you'd not lose the nice sweep over the river, but would gain more platform length.

Stu

That's interesting - I saw the upper line as a second platform road (So, in effect, you have a single line with the station as a passing loop)

The cassettes can be attached at either end - this is a through station in the 'bitsa' mould - you can only see half of it.

• RMweb Gold

I sort of gathered that you'd be using both platforms as through lines, from your earlier statement about the station building being off scene. I just wondered if, by moving the crossing, you'd have enough room to shunt to the factory without running on to the cassette.

Stu

I sort of gathered that you'd be using both platforms as through lines, from your earlier statement about the station building being off scene. I just wondered if, by moving the crossing, you'd have enough room to shunt to the factory without running on to the cassette.

Stu

Yes, good point - Not sure, however, that it is an option without a rejig. If I could find a couple more inches on the width - not out of the question - could perhaps fit in a headshunt coming off the siding (and running through where the car park/turning circle is at present) to run alongside the roadside. The only caveat is that it would restrict train lengths - at present, my calculations stand at loco + 9 standard 20T Vans, Plus Brake - This would reduce it to 5 plus brake, I would have thought.

Will have to have a play later, but I think the basic premise for this one is a lot more workable than the previous two plans.

Cheers Jack, understand the principle - actually had a layout built like that many years ago which I acquired at a boot sale.

Very handy design, but not what I'm looking for on this project. Got a few ideas regarding the baseboard - obviously the river will be at a lower level, so I was thinking a 'Twin Celotex' design (Mainly as I have tonnes of the stuff kicking around!) . It's lightweight yet stable (when combined with a wooden frame), and is easily drilled/prodded through for wiring. Will need more investigation, I think!

Unless anyone flags as anything as ill-advised on the above plan, I'm going to go with it. Will start to see what baseboard materials I have this week, with the aim of picking any needed track up on payday (Half tempted to go down the 'Peco Points/Something else plain track' route, but that is for another thread!).

Enthusiasm most definatley regained :)

I have no idea on prototypical accuracies but from a visual point of view the last plan is the best, but it looks a bit tight getting 3 tracks a road and river in the width, I often underestimate the space required for a road or river, your plan shows both drawn the same width as a platform which is narrow for a road ?

That said once the track is laid you can always adjust what is in front of it.

John

I have no idea on prototypical accuracies but from a visual point of view the last plan is the best, but it looks a bit tight getting 3 tracks a road and river in the width, I often underestimate the space required for a road or river, your plan shows both drawn the same width as a platform which is narrow for a road ?

That said once the track is laid you can always adjust what is in front of it.

John

Works out at 3 inches for the platform and road. River may be a little smaller, though it's been drawn to the same dimensions. That row of trees between the track and the road below the platform might have to go, looking at it again.

Er.... :blush:

Just realised that I had been 'counting the lines' on the XtrkCad plan, rather than the distance between them. The Road and River, therefore, are both 2 inches wide, whilst the platform is now 3 inches.

Oops :D

Road is a little on the narrow side, but given that the scenery is to be rural (and late 70's/early 80's), I think I can get away with it.

I think the plan looks good, the road width may end up not being a problem all depends on viewing angle, looking straight on from the front the width is not as important as looking along the roads length, but as you say roads are all different widths and depending on the size of the vehicle you put on it will look big or small. Go for it, you can always let the foreground scenery evolve a bit as you go.

John

Might just have had a massive stroke of luck... - A post on the EastbourneFreegle Yahoo Group reveals that someone is giving away 6 sheets of MDF! - Metric size is a little over 2' wide by a little under 3' long, but as I was planning to go open frame anyway, and considering the 'price'...!

Waiting for a call now, might even be able to pick it up on the way home.

Archived