Layout In A Crate

dseagull

Er.... blush.gif

Just realised that I had been 'counting the lines' on the XtrkCad plan, rather than the distance between them. The Road and River, therefore, are both 2 inches wide, whilst the platform is now 3 inches.

Oops biggrin.gif

Road is a little on the narrow side, but given that the scenery is to be rural (and late 70's/early 80's), I think I can get away with it.

Been there done that with XTrkCad!

However, thought I'd mention that normal "A" road widths are 6 metres, which in 1:76 is 79mm wide, or just over 3 inches.

A 1" wide carriageway - as per your description above, is just over 3ft wide - which is 36 inches.

A Mk 2 Ford Fiesta is 62 inches wide.

You may find that you need to rethink your road width? I normally give 2 inches minimum per carriageway for a 'normal' road and it looks about right.

Additionally, the 'river' will be more like a stream, especially if you have an embankment down to it rather than 'slab' sides.

Whilst of course it is your layout and you can build it however you like, I thought the above road related calculations might be of help to you. I was surprised the first time I looked at making a road too. Your best bet is probably to simply buy some vehicles suitable to the time period and traffic type you intend to run, and see how they look. Even in rural areas, there are very few "single carriageway with passing place" roads, most are going to be wide enough for two vehicles to pass most of the time at the very least. You may find that you do in fact need to redesign that aspect of your layout.

Yes, I think it may 'evolve' as time goes on - I've got a few vehicles suitable, and will 'test' them on the plan when printed in 1.1 scale (Need to do this anyway to cut the board to shape properly). If the road then needs widening by an inch, it can be. The river will be more of a stream, and I was aiming for a sloped bank, so thanks for that.

Noting the concerns about road width, and with nothing better to do at 10 past 11 tonight, I started playing around on XtrkCad.

This is what the plan looks 'flipped' (No expenses claimed here ;) ). Would be interested to see what you think - better, or worse?

post-723-127439571547_thumb.png

You'll note that the road has been widened, the river 'officially' redesignated and running off-scene far earlier, and there is a new building lurking at the back. This would either be a very low relief warehouse, or a very low relief, old-style, terrace for a Non League football club. It would have to be Non League - nothing else would fit. Ideally, it would look much like the 11th Picture Down in this Blog Post from a Groundhopper; http://localbusdriver.blogspot.com/2001/01/potters-bar-town-fc-ground-photos.html , or especially the header photo on http://thearchive.footballgroundsinfocus.com/CDIndex1.htm (where, bizzarely, but convieniently for the purposes of showing what I mean, the stand appears to be facing the opposite direction to the action :D :blink: ) - think Brickwork in 'club colours', with corrugated sheeting making up the rest of it, perhaps with a fading team name on the back? (Andy, how did you do that on the Keyhaven Warehouse?). I've gained the space for this by losing the lane/drive to the Factory gate - instead, this runs past the hut and into the backscene - the red line representing a lifting barrier (or, perhaps better still, something ornate like these Faller gates (other stockists available) .

I'm in two minds. I think it does look good - but how to hide the fiddle yard exit on the platform road nearest to the bottom is a bit of a concern - the image above shows trees put there, but the 'Poplar lined avenue' style really doesn't suit at all. Maybe just nearest the Platform side, with something else - Perhaps Allotments? - nearest the viewer?

As I said, interested in any thoughts :) - Payday Monday, when the Wood will be purchased :)

• RMweb Gold

If you made the road rise up towards the left edge, then maybe put a large advertising board between it and the tracks, you'd hide the fiddle yard entrance without using the cliched overbridge.

I see this setting being more semi industrial / out-of town, rather than rural; the stream could be one of those grotty waterways, all overgrown weeds and shopping trolleys, the road more of a lane to other industrial units, so single track with a grass middle, lots of scrubby ground cover and small bushes, piles of scrap metal, an old bedstead or mattress, maybe a burnt out car.

Maybe.

Stu

Just a small thought you could stop the concrete at the edge of the track(avoiding infiling the track) because a forklift that went over the track would fall into the stream.

Cheers Mick. The original idea was to have a concrete pad at both sides, but being realistic, the space isn't available for that, so I think I will take your advice.

If you made the road rise up towards the left edge, then maybe put a large advertising board between it and the tracks, you'd hide the fiddle yard entrance without using the cliched overbridge.

I see this setting being more semi industrial / out-of town, rather than rural; the stream could be one of those grotty waterways, all overgrown weeds and shopping trolleys, the road more of a lane to other industrial units, so single track with a grass middle, lots of scrubby ground cover and small bushes, piles of scrap metal, an old bedstead or mattress, maybe a burnt out car.

Maybe.

Stu

Cheers - I see it as more of 'edge of largish village/small town' scenario - So one side you have the newish developments, whilst on the other it is still relatively rural - there are a few locations like this that I know of, but Hampden Park near Eastbourne springs to mind - minutes away from built up/not the best area, but you also pass through fields and over streams etc when going through on the train. Developments are certainly visible not too far away, but there is still some 'ruralness' to it.

I think the advertising board/large roadsign idea isn't a bad one though - perhaps advertising yet another forthcoming housing development or somesuch.

Things are now moving. Track ordered today :) - Means I can pick up the MDF on Wednesday morning (on leave from work from Wednesday, but plenty of football club related plans in any case!).

Hopefully I'll be able to cobble together the baseboard on Thursday.

There is good news, bad news, and baffling news.

Good

Board completed - aside from the cutouts for the 'stage exits';

post-723-127499507475.png

Baffling

Gone back to the original orientation of the layout, after I forgot that turning the top board over would result in the river being in the 'wrong' place... :lol: :blink:

Bad

It's too big for the top of the wardrobe! - Two solutions here. 1 - put a shelf in above the door to store the layout when not in use. This has obvious disadvantages in effectively reducing the height of the ceiling. 2 - The layout can 'live' in the loft. This has one disadvantage - access to the cassettes could be 'interesting' and involve some climbing!

However, the SMP track has arrived, and looks good.

Or....

How about shrinking it to 4'? - That way it would sit on top of the wardrobe, and also be a bit more manageable generally. It'd also certainly fit in the car without having to unbolt the passenger seat!

post-723-127503776907_thumb.png

Principle is the same - only this time, the platform ends have been moved out of sight, the short siding has been lost - but everything else remains. Still long enough for a 4-CEP in the scenic section.

Should be able to 'shrink' the already built board, and have everything else required...

Archived