Yet another "Back-dating a Dean Goods" thread.....

• RMweb Premium

Dear All,

I realise that this is a subject that has been done a number of times, and I suspect there is little that I can bring to the table that will be new.

I have, of course, read and re-read the build stories of those who have trodden this path previously, but there are still questions to be asked.

What I'm aiming for is a Dean Goods in circa 1900 condition. So round-topped firebox, short smoke box, no top feed, no superheater, lined green and indian red livery, polished dome and safety valve bonnet. I don't have a specific locomotive in mind, although I would be keen to discover which members of the class were shedded at Taunton around that time.

I also have a hankering for a locomotive with its' dome on the front boiler ring. As I understand it, the forward dome was fitted to a (smaller?) S2 boiler, but was this concurrent with the narrower footplate? And how much narrower?

I have recently bought one of the Oxford Rail locos in unlined Great Western green, which as I understand it is the best case scenario, although there are still issues with it that will need to be addressed. But given the above, is this the best jumping-off point, or would I be better off with a Hornby or Mainline version as the basis for butchery?

I have a copy of Locomotives Illustrated No.55 on order, but are there any other more erudite works I should be referring to?

I would be very grateful for any clues!

With best regards,

Mark

• Like 3

If you are planning on using a RTR chassis then I would probably avoid the Mainline/Hornby version. They are tender drive with very noticeable gears on the chassis. The body is very good though and I feel captures the look of them better than the Oxford version. I plan on replacing the chassis on mine with Comet or High Level chassis.

I can't comment on the running of the Oxford model as I don't have one.

Books on them include.

Locomotives of the Great Western Railway, RCTS Vol 4. Six-wheeled tender engines

J.H Russell A Pictorial Record of Great Western Engines, OPC Vol 1: "Gooch, Armstrong & Dean Locomotives"

Also some information on these two websites

http://www.gwr.org.uk/index.html

http://www.greatwestern.org.uk/

Jason

• RMweb Premium

I really must push on with mine - S2 boiler and all. That thread and Mikkel's workbench contain a wealth of prototype information thanks to the generous contributions of wisdom and knowledge from Mikkel, Miss Prism, Edwardian, bgman and others. The Locomotives Illustrated has details of allocations for 1902. The book William Dean by Jeremy Clements (Noodle Books, 2012) gives the dates of changes of boiler type (S2 -> S4 etc.) and dates of superheating, but not dates for extended smokeboxes. 

I can only find one engine based at Taunton in 1902, No. 2426 of Lot 87, which had an S2 boiler until April 1903. With this engine you're up against the same compromise as I am with No. 2390 - the Oxford model has the 7'8" wide footplate of the later engines from Lot 99 onwards - No. 2451 and up - rather than 7'5". That's something I'm prepared to live with; tastes differ.

Another useful source of information is the instructions for the Finney kit, downloadable from the Brassmasters website, even though the kit doesn't cover the S2 boiler version. The images of the etches are also useful for reference.

Good luck with this project!

Edited by Compound2632

• RMweb Premium
On 29/07/2019 at 21:50, Compound2632 said:

I really must push on with mine - S2 boiler and all. That thread and Mikkel's workbench contain a wealth of prototype information thanks to the generous contributions of wisdom and knowledge from Mikkel, Miss Prism, Edwardian, bgman and others. The Locomotives Illustrated has details of allocations for 1902. The book William Dean by Jeremy Clements (Noodle Books, 2012) gives the dates of changes of boiler type (S2 -> S4 etc.) and dates of superheating, but not dates for extended smokeboxes. 

I can only find one engine based at Taunton in 1902, No. 2426 of Lot 87, which had an S2 boiler until April 1903. With this engine you're up against the same compromise as I am with No. 2390 - the Oxford model has the 7'8" wide footplate of the later engines from Lot 99 onwards - No. 2451 and up - rather than 7'5". That's something I'm prepared to live with; tastes differ.

Another useful source of information is the instructions for the Finney kit, downloadable from the Brassmasters website, even though the kit doesn't cover the S2 boiler version. The images of the etches are also useful for reference.

Good luck with this project!

Hi Stephen,

many thanks for your reply and words of encouragement - I thought I'd found all the Dean Goods threads, but ironically I'd missed yours, which is probably the most valuable for me in terms of what I'm aiming to end up with! I'm now following your build - I've had a quick look through, but will read it properly and inwardly digest in due course (I'm supposed to be working at the moment.....).

Thank you especially for the additional info regarding allocations - my copy of Locomotives Illustrated No.55 hasn't arrived yet. I'll also search out the Clements book. That 2426 was a Taunton engine in 1903 and had an S2 boiler until 1903 makes it THE loco for my project! I haven't decided about the footplate width issue as yet - after all it's a difference of just three inches, 1/2mm on each side of the model. It would probably be noticeable if you had one of each side-by-side, but by itself, probably not.

I've not long relocated to set up home with my fiancee, and things are still in a state of chaos, so my progress won't be speedy, added to which I have a multitude of different projects that I dip in and out of, but I shall be following yours and the other DG threads avidly!

Thanks again and best regards,

Mark

Edit: William Dean by Jeremy Clements is on order, together with a copy of Locomotives Illustrated No.157!

Edited by 2996 Victor
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

No progress to report, or rather, I haven't started butchery, yet! However, I do seem to have acquired a second OR Dean Goods, also in unlined green.....just don't tell my better half :secret:

However, the copy of Locomotives Illustrated No.157 has arrived, along with "William Dean" by Jeremy Clements. Both very interesting and need further reading to absorb the pertinent information. I'm still leaning toward No.2426, despite its' having the narrower running plate which is something I'll probably live with, as it has the right configuration for my intended result, and it was in the right place at the right time!

Unfortunately, I seem to be getting a bit of a bug for these 0-6-0s. Taunton doesn't seem to have been home to many of the type between 1900 and 1905, although at that time it was a two road shed and nothing like the roundhouse that was to replace it. Apart from 2426, the only other Dean 0-6-0 shown allocated there is 2367, one of the double-framed locomotives, although it was at Swindon Works at the time of the 1902 "census". However, there seems to have been one other oddity at Taunton in 1902: No.381, which was one of the Sir Daniel Class, formerly a 2-2-2 but rebuilt as an 0-6-0 in that year.

Anyway, onward and upward, and cheers for now!

Mark

Edited by 2996 Victor
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Great to see another DG conversion, will follow this with much interest :)  

It's a good thing that neither Mainline nor Oxford Rail did a roundtopped version, think of all the modelling enjoyment that would have robbed us of!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mikkel,

Sorry I haven't replied sooner (I've been away over the weekend and without internet - it's disconcerting how lost we feel without it!) - many thanks for your post and encouragement - I shall need all I can get! It's going to be a long haul and what with working away several days a week and upcoming holidays, it'll be a little while yet before I get started. But hopefully once I've made the first cut (the deepest?) I'll be able to get on!

Cheers for now,

Mark

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, LNWR18901910 said:

Sounds like a fun project! I'm backdating a Robinson O4 into a GCR 8K Class 2-8-0.

Your project sounds very interesting, too - I'll have a look!

All the best,

Mark