Dapol Factory (Members) open day

Welsh Signaller

Evening, has anyone been to one of the collectors club factory open days up at Dapol ?

Ive had my invite to this years, so I was wondering if it was worth making the 3hr drive up.

Do they have models on sale, quality control fails etc which would make it worth it as I picked up a lionheart 64XX for £250 due to it having its bunker lining missing on one side !

Any insight would be great 

I have been several times. Usually have a tour of factory to see machines. Can chat to Joel ,the MD and other key staff. Make a model. Lots of bargains in shop and in separate sale of NQP but a bit of a scrum. Usually a Talk on latest developments.

2 to 3 mile from stations

Llangollen and Oswestry railways nearby and Glyn Valley beginnings

• Informative/Useful 2

The scrum for the NQPs is very heavy - as in elbows a plenty.  

Last year the O-gauge NQPs were released first, then about half an hour later when that scrum had died down the OO NQPs were released, with the N gauge ones later again.   I found that by doing my shopping in the shop and with DCC Supplies during the first two scrums, then visiting OO and O gauge NQPs while the N Gauge scrum was happening I could go quietly to the N-gauge NQPs and still pick up bargains without being elbowed in the kidneys....

Les

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Richard and Andy are very good at giving updates about everything in the pipeline during their presentation (which happens twice during the day).  What is needed is someone with a larger piece of paper than I carry with me who can read their own scribble when they jot everything down...

Les

7 minutes ago, Bartb said:

Thank you Adrian and yes I was talking about the 7mm one :-)

Tower Models usually has the best and most accurate updates about a products ETA.

PS: I've never managed to make it to a Dapol Open Day....but I've followed it quite closely for the last 3 years. And it does indeed seem interesting

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

I would like to congratulate all the staff at Dapol yesterday for putting on a superb event. There was a gazebo outside serving tea, coffee and biscuits while we queued up to go in at 10am and which carried on serving all day. 

There were here a lot of people attending and the shop was very busy doing a roaring trade.

The nqp sale was very popular to say the least.

I enjoyed the presentation and q&a session very much. This was followed by a very nice buffet lunch. 

I had a go at building a salt van and they even threw in a free weathering spray job. 

I came home with several bargains so all in all a great day.

Cheers Ade.

Edited by Adrian Stevenson
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

This was mentioned. The prototypes were sectional pre fab construction. It is going to be made in Chirk and will allow the modeller to build it with an option as to placement of doors and windows. It will come in different pre coloured plastics.

There was also talk of other similar ones being done in the future for other prototypes such as GWR.

Cheers, Ade.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2