Class 91 withdrawals and appreciation

5 hours ago, Pandora said:

Although the day of reckoning is still  in the future,  the question of a farewell to the class 91 charter train should be answered. 

A record attempt for London KX- Edinburgh -London KX is my suggestion. 

5 hours ago, Zomboid said:

KX - Edinburgh - Euston would probably sell quite well. As would a non-stop London - Edinburgh and back run.

With the traffic levels on the ECML now, and even more planned, I expect any record or non-stop attempt to be highly unlikely, either in being attempted or to succeed.

It's difficult enough now trying to keep to time with regular services, never mind for some such 'special'. There's currently one train southbound booked non-stop from Newcastle to Kings X, it rarely in my experience actually managers to do so! And this is supposed to be a premium business service.

Also to do a non-stop London - Edinburgh run, it would only be Newcastle crews with the required route knowledge. Would probably be over the permitted continuous driving hours too.

Unlike when BR made such runs, besides there being many more trains, many of them are by different companies, which will not have their services delayed and disrupted for some other making some special run. With TPE for example, it's considered critical they get through the heavily congested Leeds - Manchester areas on time, so they now therefore take priority on the ECML, and we'll often now follow them, for the sake of a couple minutes, from Newcastle to York, even though it means loosing us 20 minutes!!

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Ken.W said:

With the traffic levels on the ECML now, and even more planned, I expect any record or non-stop attempt to be highly unlikely, either in being attempted or to succeed.

It's difficult enough now trying to keep to time with regular services, never mind for some such 'special'. There's currently one train southbound booked non-stop from Newcastle to Kings X, it rarely in my experience actually managers to do so! And this is supposed to be a premium business service.

Also to do a non-stop London - Edinburgh run, it would only be Newcastle crews with the required route knowledge. Would probably be over the permitted continuous driving hours too.

Unlike when BR made such runs, besides there being many more trains, many of them are by different companies, which will not have their services delayed and disrupted for some other making some special run. With TPE for example, it's considered critical they get through the heavily congested Leeds - Manchester areas on time, so they now therefore take priority on the ECML, and we'll often now follow them, for the sake of a couple minutes, from Newcastle to York, even though it means loosing us 20 minutes!!

Also I doubt its good publicity to do a record breaking run with the traction that's being retired, suggesting its faster than whats replacing it !

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

91117 & 911120 have been on UKRL Leicester all day Monday,  looking smart & awaiting next move, partly blocked by other stock so not easily photographable. 

1 hour ago, Legend said:

Also I doubt its good publicity to do a record breaking run with the traction that's being retired, suggesting its faster than whats replacing it !

I agree.

When the Pendolinos were being introduced on the WCML, any service hauled/propelled by an 87 or 90 seemed to slow quite regularly.

Was this because they could no longer perform well without expensive maintenance? Or perhaps they were deliberately slowing to make the new service seem even better? I still have not decided on that!

• RMweb Gold

Just been given a possible heads up that 91117 and 120 are expected to leave Leicester next week by road to Immingham docks, then onto Germany and Voith for their gearing changes and other European kit fitted.  Probably the last time you’re going to see them on UK Rails is when they are tripped round to Knighton Junction to be put on trailers.

• Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold

Does anyone know if 91132, which was on the hit list as it was supposed to go back in July got a withdrawal date?  Of the five planned to be first withdrawn, 91108 and 91103 are being used for component recovery and 91117 and 91120 for export leaving 91132 still thundering up and down the ECML.

Edited by jools1959

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I happened to be in London early this morning on my way to catch the Eurostar to Amsterdam and had a look over the wall on York Way to see what was in The Cross. I was pleased to find three 91s waiting for the day's duties to begin.

54E5FA73-C366-4985-80A2-A778479D2993.jpeg

Edited by Western Aviator
  • Like 19

3 hours ago, Rockhopper said:

A couple from me around Durham. One in GNER 2011 and the other Intercity in 1995.

Sorry, but the 'GNER' one's unfortunately National Excuse...

White waistline with purple name patches

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Ken.W said:

Sorry, but the 'GNER' one's unfortunately National Excuse...

White waistline with purple name patches

The purple patches denote East Coast rather than National Express - I seem to recall being at Kings Cross  just after NXEC had handed back the franchise (November 2009) and saw staff hastily replacing the National Express title with East Coast purple patches on stock in between arrival and departure (limited time meant application wasn't always the best!).

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, SP Steve said:

The purple patches denote East Coast rather than National Express - I seem to recall being at Kings Cross  just after NXEC had handed back the franchise (November 2009) and saw staff hastily replacing the National Express title with East Coast purple patches on stock in between arrival and departure (limited time meant application wasn't always the best!).

Ah yes of course

Difficult keeping up with them all lol

A couple of shots from Durham taken yesterday, 24th October 2019

77824582_(DSC_0443a)91111Durham24-10-19.jpg.6ecaa2c33368fe1f336ea817e9436201.jpg

91111 comes off the viaduct and slows for the station stop with a northbound train. Nice to see the named locos still carrying their nameplates, unlike the LNER HST Class 43s, which are expected to be retired by Christmas

1343420891_(DSC_0444a)91125Durham24-10-19.jpg.ee381bae3d5215975c578d4ed5f006aa.jpg

By comparison 91125 hurtles past on the through tracks - scary!

Cheers

Trevor

Edited by Trev52A
typo
  • Like 15

More recent shots of 91s at Newcastle:

1283890392_(DSC_0145a)911121851328-8-19.jpg.19a964051e10e0fd478f02566a5705f2.jpg

91112 comes off the King Edward Bridge approaching Newcastle on 8th August 2019, passing 185132 stabled below 

539471899_(DSC_0098a)inc.432399111991132Ncle5-8-19.jpg.d91ab5572c1d4c87ef49ea4c612617bc.jpg

Almost a full house at Newcastle on 5th August 2019, with 91110 and 91132 on the right. On the left 43239 is at the rear of a Kings Cross-bound HST 

1909654664_(DSC_0936a)91121Ncle22-7-19.jpg.6eaf8836d8a6ce07b07ef5adb7d0aba7.jpg

91121 at Newcastle on 22nd July 2019

1109074180_copy(DSC_0303a)91101Manors13-9-19.jpg.8eeedc8c89713923df0faafe83810e25.jpg

91101 heads north through Manors on 13th September 2019

Trevor

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Just had a “heads up” from my undercover spy still on the railway, that six Class 91’s (I don’t know which one’s) are due to be stricken from the LNER fleet in January.

44 minutes ago, Trev52A said:

Has anyone seen/photographed 91116 in the last few days?

I understand it has just been returned to traffic after several months out of use following fire damage.

(It's the only 91 I haven't seen yet!)

Cheers

Trevor

Currently stopped again, on T/M repairs. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, bobthesod4479 said:

Some with long memories may be able to answer this.

Years ago one was named Terence Cuneo and he painted a mouse on the loco

Was this ever saved or just painted over?

Class 91: 91111 National Express Terence Cuneo's Mouse!

the mouse survived until National Express livery, it can be seen here, in the top right corner of the white band on the body side you need to zoom in close to see it, (not to be confused with the black mark behind it on the roof panel)

https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q942987#/media/File:91111_at_Kings_Cross_1.jpg

91111 now wears vinyls for “For the Fallen” in ww1 livery, maybe it survives beneath the vinyl..

Class 91 Electric No. 91111 'For The Fallen' at Newcastle Central - 17th Oct 2014

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

10 hours ago, bobthesod4479 said:

Some with long memories may be able to answer this.

Years ago one was named Terence Cuneo and he painted a mouse on the loco

Was this ever saved or just painted over?

This was discussed several pages back on this thread - see posts 19th-20th August.

The new mice appear on each side of 91111 on the purple body stripe - but you will need to look hard to see them!

Cheers

Trevor

1 hour ago, bobthesod4479 said:

Thanks Trevor, apologies for not seeing that bit!

Don't worry bob - I often join a thread half way through!

Here's an enlargement from a  photo of the RHS of 91111 - the mouse is immediately to the left of the poppy under the nameplate.

1315596599_(IMG_2488a)17-7-19.jpg.8ca29d95bf79d9157f482f3e5bc19c80.jpg

Cheers

Trevor

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium
On 04/11/2019 at 00:10, adb968008 said:

Class 91: 91111 National Express Terence Cuneo's Mouse!

the mouse survived until National Express livery, it can be seen here, in the top right corner of the white band on the body side you need to zoom in close to see it, (not to be confused with the black mark behind it on the roof panel)

That is quite clearly a Vynal mouse - just look at its tail!

I suspect the mouse disappeared in GNER days - and what you have pictured is a photo of it that has been printed onto a piece of Vynal and stuck onto the loco on top of the National Express livery.

It is also quite likely that the same photo was used to add the mouse to the WW1 wrap - at least in that case it appears to be an integral part of the design and not simply slapped on top.

• Like 1