Details along the SDJR

Guest Jack Benson

It is a combination of standard Exmouth Junction products to provide a safe base for something or someone to stand when the embankment (or cutting) isn't suitable on its own. Chris may well be right in suggesting that a fogman's hut stood on it, another possibility is that it provided a safe place for a lineman to stand while working on the electrical connections box for the distant signal.

• Like 2

Thank you Railwest and becasse, your knowledge has been of great help. Im now going to model these items, now i know what they are.

EDIT, Its wonderful to get answers to 60 year old plus questions, this is a wonderful forum full of great people.

Edited by down the sdjr
  • Like 3

On 06/08/2019 at 08:35, RailWest said:

Juts a wild guess but - depending upon how  close it was to that signal post base - given an apparent proximity to a Distant signal then maybe a base for a (SR concrete style)  fogman's hut?

Been reading up on a fogmans job, sounds a very unpleasant one to me. I had a look at the order of the photos on my camera and it must have been pretty close to the signal base southwards.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to let anyone know who might be interested in any Scale link products, that i got a letter with my order stating the owner is 80 now and plans to retire next year. Stock and moulds etc are up for sale. If you want any items best get them soon. He has been making this stuff since 1972.

• Informative/Useful 2

• 1 month later...

Found another pictureIMG_2698.JPG.125d0e3c193b381e5fb1f10fd2d819aa.JPG from my June walk of the S&D that i thought might be of interest to some. The steps leading up the embankment near to Sturminster Newton signal box, still in great condition.