Small layouts

5 hours ago, Unclealex said:

Hi all, here's an interesting theory: I'm planning to build a micro layout based around the much loved "inglenook" style shunting puzzle. My question. Is, can there ever be too many of these shunting type layouts? 

Put simply... No. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Gold

As said, No. 

Because although the track plan is essentially the same, the surrounding scenics make them all individual.

Tinner's Forge is an inglenook, The Stores part of the next layout will also be an inglenook, but they will be completely different.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Again, "No" has to be my answer.
Actually, I was going to add pretty much what Stubby47 says above.....
I've seen many over the years, and yet each one has had it's own "look" or sense of place etc

In fact, there are adaptations you can make to the basic design anyway.
If I were planning to build one - I'd probably be looking at doing some sort of modification to the basic plan
Good luck with your build :)

• Like 1

I'd love to see someone build a modern image micro layout. When staging  "Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves" in a local panto, there are actually only half a dozen thieves with different hats.  If the view of the layout is severely restricted to, say, a junction with signals, a container train or express might only need a few wagons or coaches. Quite a show could be achieved with the sounds, lights and smoke possible courtesy of DCC, and the amazing detail of the models we see at exhibitions.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Another "no" here.

My "inglenook" Drew's Sidings has no points, is based on a real place, and uses additional wagons (a CCT with tail lamp, and a crane & match) as scenery to get the siding lengths correct for the puzzle. I have operated the layout for a day at an exhibition without driving myself totally mad, although my lunchtime relief operator, a professional railwayman commented "thankfully my trains are prepared for me" at the end of his spell.

The great thing about an inglenook is the wide variety of scenes it can be set in. A layout in itself ; the goods yard of a larger layout; private sidings adjoining a bigger yard; shunted by the train engine, a yard pilot, or one of the many delightful industrials now on the market. Whilst there is nothing wrong with the simple inglenook plan, finding ways to "disguise" it certainly adds variety to the genre. 

And whilst its not exactly an inglenook, there is an interesting US live feed from Virtual Railfan, available on You Tube which shows a foundry where the local shunts, sorry switches, during the afternoon. Like all such workings times vary depending on the work to be done, but sometime between 19:00 and 21:30BST 7 days a week you should see it at work. And You Tube has a 12 hour rewind, so if the empties are by the exit (they are shunted out by a road/rail shunter) the local hasn't arrived yet, if they've gone rewind a bit. Its not exactly an inglenook, but close enough to get an idea of how they really work. 

Maybe I should dust off my Civil Engineer's stores inglenook plan....

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Another no. Ideal starter or practice piece. Low cost (relative term) compared to something much larger.  

That, however, comes with the caveat that you have to be the type of person to enjoy shunting it when it’s done; if you aren’t then perhaps other options are a better bet. I’m currently building one as I have no space for anything bigger - time will tell if I find the post-build running as interesting/challenging as the build phase.

Edited by john new
  • Like 1

No. For me, there will never be too many shunting type micro layouts. I just wish I could get one up and running. I'm on my third attempt in 5 years, but I think this number 3 could be the one (so to speak). I'm just reluctant to post my endeavours until I'm sure I'm going to see it through.

Edited by PaulBee
  • Friendly/supportive 2

There was a chap some years back who built a mainline terminus micro. The trick was that he only portrayed one small corner of the terminus, with a footbridge a la King's Cross as a scenic break. Thus, he could have top link expresses represented by a locomotive and a single carriage. I'm sure you could apply the same thing to modern image.

Re Inglenooks, there are so many possibilities that I'd say no, there can't be too many. I myself have two - one is a narrow gauge box file based around a Lincolnshire agricultural railway and the other is a run-down suburban goods yard. Same basic track, two totally different layouts.

I would say the only determinants of not building a small shunting layout are if you don't like shunting or you've built so many you're bored with them. I don't know of anyone not building one because they think there are too many around.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

One good thing about an inglenook is that it isn't too big of a layout and if you want a change of pace, simply just change the scenery and rolling stock. After all, it won't cost an arm and a leg to play around with scenery, buildings etc. I have built two inglenooks, one British (Linden Ford : 53" x 22") and one New South Wales - Australian (Tomlins Creek : 72" x 15 3/4"). Both are fun to play with and both have been exhibited in the past and they garner interest every time.

Cheers, Gary.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Never too many! I find the different settings inspiring! When planning my dockside layout, I had in mind two opposing inglenook plans to provide shunting challenges (then realised the complexity of wiring up for two interchangeable controllers and thought 'one engine in play until I switch to DCC!'). The shortening of longer sidings by the placement of non-moving stock as per Hillside Depot's Drew's Sidings is a brilliant way of disguising/setting up the 5-3-3 formula in longer sidings - that is what I plan to do on my (eventual) layout!

Also, I plan to have an inglenook set up "buried" in a loop off an oval for my cousin's boys to play with: 3 wagon plus loco "headshunt", 5 wagon loop length, two 5 wagon sidings but reduced to 3 wagons by crane placement, cattle dock/van unloading etc. That way, a train can be left looping whilst shunting takes place. The younger boys will simply play trains, the oldest can be given the inglenook challenge to complete! That plus a loco shed lane - there's three boys, and each of them has their own loco!

Good luck with your layout - make sure you share!

• Thanks 1

On 24/07/2019 at 16:23, HonestTom said:

There was a chap some years back who built a mainline terminus micro. The trick was that he only portrayed one small corner of the terminus, with a footbridge a la King's Cross as a scenic break. Thus, he could have top link expresses represented by a locomotive and a single carriage. I'm sure you could apply the same thing to modern image.

Re Inglenooks, there are so many possibilities that I'd say no, there can't be too many. I myself have two - one is a narrow gauge box file based around a Lincolnshire agricultural railway and the other is a run-down suburban goods yard. Same basic track, two totally different layouts.

I did the same when I built Peafore Yard,  I modelled part of Bristol Temple Meads using the old parcel elevator as a scenic break.

• Like 1

On ‎28‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 01:50, 298 said:

Is it ok to have a layout that is essentially an Inglenook, but with an additional siding added on...? 

Yeah, it's your layout, your rules. Actually, as I recall, A R Walkley's 'Layout in a Suitcase,' which some consider to be the first Inglenook, incorporated an extra siding with a loco shed. I've built an Inglenook that had a fourth, short siding where I could keep another engine. One "main line" engine would bring the wagons in, the shunter would emerge from the siding and arrange the wagons, then the main line engine would return to collect. Or I could keep a brake van on the siding, or a crane, or whatever took my interest.

On 28/07/2019 at 06:09, Stubby47 said:

Absolutely. 

Rule 1 applies.

I don't really subscribe to rule 1, it's often used as poor or arrogant answer to badly phrased point. I've found that I'm quite capable of enjoying the hobby without being so dismissive- on both sides....

The advantage I've found of adding additional track to an Inglenook plan is it allows room for additional stock storage on the layout.

Edited by 298

• RMweb Gold

Fair comment, but I wasn't trying to be dismissive. 

'Rule 1' can get over used, but adding an extra siding, or sidings, is entirely at the discretion of the layout builder and shouldn't need 'approval ' from anyone else - it's their trainset.

As has been seen above, an inglenook can quite easily be merged into a wider trackplan and brought into play with the strategic placement of rolling stock which is not involved with the puzzle - this something I'm intending to do with my own latest inglenook, The Circle and The Stores (TCATS).

• Agree 2

On ‎28‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 01:50, 298 said:

Is it ok to have a layout that is essentially an Inglenook, but with an additional siding added on...? 

Who might it not be okay with?

Stu

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

I am wondering about combining the good old inglenook with the 'part of a station' approach. It could be the goods yard beyond the platform, as at Fairford, or if one took Plowden (Bishop's Castle - plan attached if it works) and chopped it in half at either edge of the station building (looking from the approach) you'd basically have an inglenook, with the large building as a view-blocker.

Has anyone used the puzzle in such a way?

Plowden 1903 station only.png

Edited by johnarcher
  • Like 2