Sticking Stuff Together

Hi everyone.

I couldn't really apply this to any one topic and so I thought "modifying-detailing-rtr-stock" fits best.

I will be doing a bit of 3d printing, modifying and just generally messing around.

Also feel free to share your ideas and projects you have if you think they are either suitable to the topic at hand or if you think they would be helpful or inspirational to others.

I might as well quickly show some images of my project that might be soon be coming to an end.

My project was to make cheap bodies to fit on a modified Hornby caledonian pug chassis. I have 3d printed all of these bodies for a price of about 5c each on some 3d printers I have access to (that sounds dodgy now I look back on it). This means I can print as many as I want and therefor I can detail and paint them as I like without worrying about screwing up.

During this project I have modified a design I found on a website called thingiverse by a creator called 2A_Rail. I modified and printed it just to make sure it would fit on the chassis I had (not spending hours on making a design before realizing it doesn't work).20190709_151906(0).jpg.31204fae870772cc70ccd11095dd0d33.jpg

Another engine I have 3d printed was an engine I fully designed myself on my own design of fireless engine. it uses multiple different design details of realife fireless locomotives (a mix of british and german).20190709_151851.jpg.ed38155831f180ecd393cd3deb31b3a3.jpg

And finally I have 3d printed three manning wardle 0-4-0st's that I once again designed myself. one of them (the blue one) was mainly a test and wasn't supposed to be super detailed.

The lined black wardle has been detailed to my liking and isn't based on a historical engine just what I felt like doing.

However. only an hour ago I decided to grab my dremel and lop off the bufferbeams and cab of the 3rd unfinished engine. I have shortened the running board and am mounting it on a modified Hornby 0-4-0 chassis (the inside cylinder version) and am making it into my own class of engine. I want this 3rd engine to look worn but cared for like something you would see on a early 1900 light railway.20190725_165926.jpg.be54d764ea88021f8fcfdaea3e453359.jpg

If anybody want's these designs, learn how to make 3d prints for free or modify the Hornby chassis for these engines or for engines you want to make then just ask.

• Like 1

I was looking through one of my old Hornby magazines (issue 46 April 2011) at a layout I absolutely love called Ivydale and Blissgate ( sadly I can't find any images online so if somebody wants to see this amazing layout just ask and I can get images of it.

ANYWAY

the layout is a 1920s light railway that the magazine describes as "nothing is quite how it ought to be - quaint, rickety, with ancient rolling stock and equipment; a make do and mend approach to running a railway". I have been wanting to recreate things similar to the things shown on that layout and I have finally decided to give it a go.

I have more images but these will give an idea of the sort of layout and theme they have made

but whilst I was reading this over for the five hundredth time I decided "I have money..........  I have tools..........  why not make some engines of a similar style"

and with that decided I am about to buy a old damaged terrier so that I can modify it into the sort of thing one would imagine on a light railway of the early 1900s.

yet I would have to wait for the engine to arrive here in New Zealand and so I had to do something in the meantime. 

And so as I was sitting at my desk thinking of something I can do I decided that because I had a spare third manning wardle body I 3d printed I would cut it up to look something similar to the 0-4-0st "Pinza" shown above. meaning over the next few weeks I will be posting my progress on choping and glueing and cursing as it slowly takes shape.

I got some more progress on my next engine.20190729_180040.jpg.39cdb7bbe146fcb264a0719726389e94.jpg20190729_180057.jpg.f16ed8307556e4d4724ccedd7a8b9b69.jpg

it is a mix of a manning wardle and the red 0-4-0st "Pinza" I showed earlier.

I have also come to a bit of a predicament.

As I said I have bought a terrier that will arrive here in a couple weeks so that I can modify it.

but I have two things I wanted to turn it into. Either

1. Industrial design (rip it apart to make it look like an industrial engine)

2. paint it in wartime grey and have a corrugated metal body I can slot over the tanks and have it like a makeshift homeguards train (basically a what if scenario if the home guard managed to get their hands on a terrier and in the style of Dads Army stick some sandbags and corrugated iron on it then paint the corrugated metal in a colour scheme similar to that of the british european tank camoflage.

Aka the engine stays grey and the addon armour that can be removed and put back on will be painted.

I will probably go with number 2 because it sounds way more fun but number 1 would be more useful for running trains.

• Like 1

Nice bodies but the non see through wheel chassis is a bit naff.  I changed the tyres on one of mine to make them see through, even the 1960s \\Polly wheels are an improvement.  The con rods and lack of slide bars lets it down as well.

1 minute ago, DavidCBroad said:

Nice bodies but the non see through wheel chassis is a bit naff.  I changed the tyres on one of mine to make them see through, even the 1960s \\Polly wheels are an improvement.  The con rods and lack of slide bars lets it down as well.

Yeah I would change it if I had the money to buy a second chassis but at the moment I don't.

The reason why I haven't changed it is because it is a pain to get the parts here and also because I use the same chassis on my j70 and a colliery diesel

now I just need to wait for the my terrier and victorian engine to arrive.

I am most likely going to do a home-guard terrier after a video I saw on the Bo-ness O gauge model railway

and I am going to need to make a powered wagon to push my patentee victorian loco along as it doesn't have a motor inside of the loco

I also finally got around to 3d printing my manning wardle K class. its a bit larger than I would like for it to be, but it works. I have printed two of them and alongside a coach I modified from a pre existing print design. but by the time I got home I realised that I had not left a hole in the tanks to allow for the motor and screw to fit in (I don't own a 3d printer I just use ones I have access to). And so I had to use my dremel to gut the tanks and cut the sides off. now I will have to make the spindly cab of the K class and then cover the tanks. Once I have done that I have decided that I will paint this certain example in LBSC improved engine green that way it fits this chassis (this chassis is not from the terrier I have been waiting for). That way once the new terrier arrives I can unscrew the chassis and run both my K class and terrier as an LBSC double header.

The coach on the other hand will be painted as you can see here except I will have a grey strip seperating the yellow ochre and the cream (the camera makes them look yellow and white instead of the colours they actually are. I will then oaint the bearings and handles gold with a gold number 1 on each door for first class. I will print off some more so that I can have a rake. they truly are lovely in real life.20190803_201512.jpg.c6d0bceaf34ae871f48147463381125f.jpg

• Like 1

I have designed and printed a modified version of the manning wardle K class fixing all of the previous problems but adding a couple extra. I have shortened the height of the funnel and completely lowered and lengthened the tanks. I have also fiddled around with the bunker to make it easier to print and I have removed all the parts that are in the way of the motor, cables and all the other stuff.

I will collect it tomorrow and then clean it and take a picture.

I am still keeping the previous K class and the other that I have already printed will be kept if I wan't to do anything with it later.

if anyone who may be reading this has any ideas of what the manning wardle K class body featured previously could be used for please share any ideas.

At the moment I am thinking of mucking around with it until it looks like a hudswell clarke

Also I finished building a kit of a m3 grant (the british modification of the m3 Lee) where the kit allowed you to build both the Lee and the Grant. but because the only large visual difference between them is the shape of the turret and the lack of the commander turret..... machine gun..... thing.

ANYWAY

because of that I have a spare turret with gun and mini machine gun turret. and I have decided that I will take that spare turret and mount it onto a coastal defence bunker I will be building on my railway overlooking my "Harbour"20190806_203735.jpg.1e36d1d9d3cb805371735a585dd28f57.jpg

My donor loco for my homeguard engine arrived earlier today (the poor postman had to bike through torrential rain).

And so I now have to modify it.

I am going to add buffers, repaint the engine into wartime grey, paint the cab inside and then finally start making the corrugated iron armour and sandbags20190810_134116.jpg.08eb8f34da297175efc54e02e0dce568.jpg