Ruston's Victorian Industrial locomotive scratchbuilds

Robert Stephenson long-boiler 4-4-0ST. Scale: 4mm/OO

This is one that I've been meaning to do for a while now but it was always way down the list of things do do but as I have some Gibson driving wheels of the correct diameter lying around I thought I'd make a start.

stephensonlongboiler440-1.jpg.b12aad7ce6e7807d167fb27cde38a861.jpg

Also, before I start, I'm wondering if anyone has any more photos and information on the protoype? All I have is the drawing from Mike Sharman's book of drawings of the locomotives of Boulton's Siding and the photos, posted below.  The two engines could even be the same one but at different locations as the cab appears to be wooden and not original equipment and it looks the same on both. The first one I think is at Peckfield Colliery, near Leeds and the name Emyln on the second I assume is somewhere in South Wales, possibly also a colliery.

440stephenson.jpg.81263b693f56d1f862c7ff15266ecd96.jpg 440stephenson2.jpg.9666a81f7142684e03278166c7837481.jpg

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 14
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

53 minutes ago, Armchair Modeller said:

There was at least one in the Clay Cross fleet an 0-6-0T version, but may be useful

Thanks. I already have that photo as it happens.

I had done most of the drawings a few weeks ago but I couldn't sleep because of the hot weather, last night, so I did more and have now converted them into patterns for use with my pantograph engraver. This is everything up to the running plate, except for the steps, which I have only just remembered right now as I type.

440ST-1.jpg.5e7019fbf17beaf9b3f738170882749e.jpg

Materials will be 10 thou and 20 thou. cartridge brass and 40 thou. and 60 thou. engraving brass. I'll cut that lot, tomorrow, and if all goes well I'll get it soldered together.

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 25/07/2019 at 17:25, t-b-g said:

How can any loco be so ugly and so charming at the same time?

Just for a moment I thought you were referring to me....................................:P

The frames and running plate are built up now. One splasher arc remains to be fitted as I lost it somewhere on the floor and it's easier and quicker to make a new one than it is to search for it. The splasher tops will be pieces of shim, roughly cut, soldered on and then filed down in place.  Apart from that there are only the steps to add for now. The brake gear comes later.

440ST-3.jpg.f790064ad040d52c94b778de1f1d1bc3.jpg

The wheels are temporary and are old K's wheels from their Hudswell Clarke kit. I was wrong about having the wheels in stock for this project and so I'll have to send off to Gibsons for some. The bogie wheels could be a problem as I need 8mm dia. wheels.

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

That's looking very interesting.

I don't know about 8mm wheels for 00/EM/P4 (not sure which this is), but if you're stuck they are produced for 00n3 use (would need new axles of course), Dundas do them ( https://www.dundasmodels.co.uk/webstore/index.php/hikashop-menu-for-module-108/category/542-dundas-models-00n3-wheels-bearings )

I thnk Branchlines do too.

• Thanks 1

There are some really fascinating scratch-builds going on at the moment; looking forward to seeing how you progress and very interested in the pantograph engraving. Could you show us it in action?

Cheers

Simon

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, sej said:

There are some really fascinating scratch-builds going on at the moment; looking forward to seeing how you progress and very interested in the pantograph engraving. Could you show us it in action?

Cheers

Simon

/\ /\ This for me too. 

I'll take some pictures when next cut some parts. I have to make the patterns for the bodywork and steps yet but here's the machine itself. It's a Taylor Hobson Model D. I don't know how old it is but I'd guess 1960s. The more modern ones look to be more squared-off. Of course engraving machines look completely different today and are computer-driven but this is proper old school and all manual.

engraver.jpg.30b5acb473d29c8338ff366db13a2119.jpg

It's very heavy and all cast iron and steel. It had to be lifed off a trailer using a block and tackle, suspended from the roof beams of the garage, and then rolled on socket set extension bars to get it in place.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Ruston said:

I'll take some pictures when next cut some parts. I have to make the patterns for the bodywork and steps yet but here's the machine itself. It's a Taylor Hobson Model D. I don't know how old it is but I'd guess 1960s. The more modern ones look to be more squared-off. Of course engraving machines look completely different today and are computer-driven but this is proper old school and all manual.

engraver.jpg.30b5acb473d29c8338ff366db13a2119.jpg

It's very heavy and all cast iron and steel. It had to be lifed off a trailer using a block and tackle, suspended from the roof beams of the garage, and then rolled on socket set extension bars to get it in place.

I have a model D also and it gets a lot of use in cutting out mostly  7 mm scale loco parts.  It is very satisfying steering the stylus round a pattern and watching a loco kit appear! Mine lives in my workshop, which is next to the dining room so warm and dry. I assume your slides and tables are greased from the picture.

You can still pick up a good example at quite modest cost but watch out for damaged pantograph arms which can be expensive to repair or replace. The main body is very heavy and rigid but careless handling with badly placed slings can wreck the quite delecate working parts.

Ian

Does anyone know which buffers that are available commercially are the nearest match to those in the drawing? And is there anything that's also available that looks like the steam dome? I'd rather not make that dome from scratch if I can help it.

The beginings of the boiler.

440ST-4.jpg.39a2f92fa5b453ebb2a15922378f59c1.jpg

I sawed a length of brass tube and then filed flats on the ends, which allow it to sit on plinths made from 40thou. engraving brass. These are tapped 12BA so that the boiler/tank can be made as a seperate assembly. I'll cut the hole in the bottom (and the top if needs be) for the gearbox once I decide which gearbox to use.

It's probably going to be a High Level 'Slimliner' so more of the boiler can be kept, rather than cutting a wide section out. I may use another type and conceal the gearbox in the firebox but I want to leave the firebox free to get as much weight in as possible. I'm trying to make it so most of the weight is over the driving wheels.

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

he basic buffer shape, with the large diameter shank, makes me think of the much more modern BR oleo designs, so maybe look at something like those, possibly with the judicious application of a file.

As for the dome, that looks pretty big. Perhaps think in terms of a 7mm component of some kind.

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, Ruston said:

Does anyone know which buffers that are available commercially are the nearest match to those in the drawing? And is there anything that's also available that looks like the steam dome? I'd rather not make that dome from scratch if I can help it.

Gibson 4915 are a fairly close match.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have made the patterns for the tank and smokebox front plate, plus the cabside and rear plates. I've also done one for the steps that I forgot to do last time.

The plain circular pattern will fit inside the boiler tube and serves to centre the smokebox front plate and door.

patternsteph2.jpg.341dfb307102c6a6ed0d95a11c823a00.jpg

The red marker pen lines are alongside styrene strips that are stuck on the patterns and remind me which side to put the stylus on. This method cuts down on the amount of individual patterns I need to make and so saves time and materials. For example, the top RH rectangle is the tank top but by running the stylus along the red line, and by putting holes in where marked with a circle, I can make the tank sides too.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

I nearly wasn't here to make this post. My desk lamp on the workbench melted its cable insulation on the earthing bolt of the steel plate on my resistance soldering unit, which can get quite hot and so the plate had 240 volts in it. I don't know how long it's been like that but probably since I last used it when putting the frames together on this loco. I only found this out when touching the plate and reaching to the socket to switch my soldering iron on at the wall. It was like being in a Tom and Jerry cartoon or something - only not quite so funny. I'll be drilling a hole in the bench and routing the lamp cable underneath and away from anything likely to melt it...

The tank built up and the front plate of the smokebox. Not fixed yet and simply sat on for the photo.

440ST6.jpg.fd06aaef31d9c3b1f3405603d51f83ba.jpg

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• 1 month later...

I've made a start on the bogie, which isn't properly mounted yet. The motor and gearbox are in and the wheels are on. It's been tested but with crocodile clips to the motor wires as there are no pickups fitted yet.

Stephenson4-4-0-003.jpg.c22deba8b9fce4fcc73bffceda28cc92.jpg

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

51 minutes ago, Armchair Modeller said:

Just curious, but are you keeping the front driving wheels flanged, or is that just your temporary wheels again?

Also, which wheels are you using for the bogie, please?

All the wheels shown are the proper wheels and all are flanged. They are Alan Gibson 14mm Manning Wardle wheels as these are the nearest I could get in appearance to the RS wheels. The bogie uses 8mm wheels from a Roy C. Link O-14 skip chassis with the centres opened to enable them to fit onto a standard OO wagon axle for pinpoint bearings.

• Like 1