16" Std Bagnall industrial tank engine

As the Impetus kit range is no longer available I have been researching and cogitating about producing a kit for the Bagnall 16" x 24" cylinder 0-6-0 saddle tank.

See the picture below which I have borrowed from Roys Rail Page  (http://roysrailpage.000webhostapp.com/) Unfortunately I could not find his full name on the web page.

1408843173_princessRoysrailpage.jpg.3a11f3e7d64d8b35308575870f58d0cd.jpg

My research has identified that eighteen of these beasts were built between 1942 and 1955 initial being sent to Preston Docks and a variety of collieries.

image.png.caac5b064ef34d5e10bce2d2fd886ba6.png

I would be interested in any further information etc people have of these class.

A small number have been preserved.

I have identified in excess of eighty drawings for this class that I think need looking at.

So before I start to commit time and money to further research how many people would be interested in a 00/EM/P4 kit for this Bagnall?

Gordon

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I'm sure you're aware of the two earlier threads on this kit?

I had a bit of trouble with the wrappers, and the non-Giesl chimney (which might be off a Jinty) is definitely too tall.

Adam

• Informative/Useful 1

First the good news, Allan Baker did an article for the IRS magazine called “Bagnall 16” Locomotives”. The bad news I have the article, but not the date or issue it was published in. The article includes a nice side and end drawing, plus photos of the engines in the service of the Butterley Co, Birchenwood, Preston Docks, Flora ce Coll, Cadley Hill.

Gordon I can photocopy if it helps.

David

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Gordon A said:

Thank you Adam for the post, it is quite informative.

Gordon A

Despite misreading your original post (slightly). I wouldn't mind another though...

Adam

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Norton961 said:

First the good news, Allan Baker did an article for the IRS magazine called “Bagnall 16” Locomotives”. The bad news I have the article, but not the date or issue it was published in. The article includes a nice side and end drawing, plus photos of the engines in the service of the Butterley Co, Birchenwood, Preston Docks, Flora ce Coll, Cadley Hill.

David

Yes please David.

On 25/07/2019 at 17:32, Norton961 said:

David

Any chance of a copy of that article too David?

Thanks

Andy

For those who are unaware; may I recommend the Industrial Railway Record No.77 (June 1978).

50% of this edition is given over to an extensive history of the "Bagnall 16" Locomotives" by Allan C. Baker, the acknowledged expert on all things Bagnall.

The excellent article details both the four and six coupled versions, with elevations of both.

Industrial Railway Record No77.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I mentioned the IRS article further up the thread and have posted the article to Gordon today. The photos I think may have been taken by my good friend David Cousins as I have a number of his photos, but I can’t be sure.

David

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/07/2019 at 14:21, Gordon A said:

As the Impetus kit range is no longer available I have been researching and cogitating about producing a kit for the Bagnall 16" x 24" cylinder 0-6-0 saddle tank.

See the picture below which I have borrowed from Roys Rail Page  (http://roysrailpage.000webhostapp.com/) Unfortunately I could not find his full name on the web page.

1408843173_princessRoysrailpage.jpg.3a11f3e7d64d8b35308575870f58d0cd.jpg

Hi Gordon - Full name is my user name. You are welcome to use the photograph

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Gordon,

I can try and take a range of photographs of Birchenwood No.4 if you would like? I am a fireman at Ribble Steam Railway and we have the first one built there. It is called Courageous after one of the dock tanks.

We did have Princess on hire for a gala and I got chance to fire that too. They are lovely machines to work on however there were subtle differences between the two. One was a Bagnall modification however I am not sure about the second.

The first modification was regards to the back of the cab. Princess has a hatch between the rear windows. This was so the regulator rod could be removed straight out without removing the cab! The second modification was Princess has a sun roof. Very handy as they are hot machines to work even on cold days!

I was on Courageous yesterday and it was rather warm to say the least!

Here she was when I lit her up in the morning

70623856_2702543926431923_8370750354911920128_o.jpg

Alas I model in 7mm. If there was ever a kit I'd be very tempted for one

Edited by BritishGypsum4
  • Like 7