New livery suggestion for Class 50

TravisM

• RMweb Gold

I know this will start the foaming wars, so I’m going to get my coat and stand well back lol. I’ve emailed Hornby and suggested for 2020 that they release 50008 in Laira blue with its Hanson logos.  It seems to currently travel around the countryside delivering items of Network Rail wagons and track machines, so I thought it would be ideal for Class 50 fans and the current scene.

Obviously every man and his dog will want the two GBRf ones and hope Hornby do them, but I thought 50008 will be slightly different.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hornby has already done 50008 in Laira blue so I think it is questionable whether there would be enough interest in what amounts to additional cabside stickers (unless i’m missing something),  but good luck with the request!

• Agree 2

It would be nice for Hornby to release a refurbished 50 in all over blue, I think there were originally five or six? of them before the large logo livery was adopted.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, brushman47544 said:

Hornby has already done 50008 in Laira blue so I think it is questionable whether there would be enough interest in what amounts to additional cabside stickers (unless i’m missing something),  but good luck with the request!

I didn’t realise that 50008 had already been done previously, so I’ll have to look and see if I can find one.  I’d also like to see 50017 in original NSE “”toothpaste livery” as it and 50023 were the original two Class 50’s painted on launch day.

Right, im gonna hi-jack this thread.....

Ive got 50040 Leviathan in BR large logo blue, the body does not sit on the chassis very well, especially around the bufferbeam area, I thought I had a dud one and didn't want to take it back as I know the retailer had sold me their last one, so, having taken it apart and reassembled many times, it now sits disassembled on my desk waiting for my next bout of enthusiasm to try and establish what the cause is.

I did notice while in a model shop in Carlisle at the weekend that their model of 50040 on display showed the same ill fitting body, and a friend has said he noticed another in another model shop that didn't fit well. So im now thinking its not just mine.....

Does anyone else have 50040, noticed the same issue, and cured it????????

As for liveries, the refurbished BR Blue version is a good shout.

Id really like to see Hornby finally get the revised NSE version right.

As for individual locos... I know 50037 has had its fair share of releases but id like to see it done in Laira Blue. (although 50019 would also be good in the same livery).

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, GEARJAMMER said:

Right, im gonna hi-jack this thread.....

Ive got 50040 Leviathan in BR large logo blue, the body does not sit on the chassis very well, especially around the bufferbeam area, I thought I had a dud one and didn't want to take it back as I know the retailer had sold me their last one, so, having taken it apart and reassembled many times, it now sits disassembled on my desk waiting for my next bout of enthusiasm to try and establish what the cause is.

I did notice while in a model shop in Carlisle at the weekend that their model of 50040 on display showed the same ill fitting body, and a friend has said he noticed another in another model shop that didn't fit well. So im now thinking its not just mine.....

Does anyone else have 50040, noticed the same issue, and cured it????????

As for liveries, the refurbished BR Blue version is a good shout.

Id really like to see Hornby finally get the revised NSE version right.

As for individual locos... I know 50037 has had its fair share of releases but id like to see it done in Laira Blue. (although 50019 would also be good in the same livery).

Whats the R number?

Quite a few 50s suffer from the dreaded zinc pest/Mazak Rot and a badly fitting body is one of the symptoms.

Before getting too worried, check the list in

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/123769-zinc-pest-mazak-rot-the-affected-models-list/

to see if your model is included in the list.

Personally think 50008 in faided Laira Blue with Hanson Logos looks pretty horrible.  Time it had a repaint, and possibly with a slightly different livery.  How about Blue with a couple of silver lines (to go with logo) , could make a nice looking Hanson Livery?  As for re-creating the current livery (for anyone interested)- perhaps someone like Railtec could be asked about producing the transfer? 

As for models, then in Laira Blue - 50019 would be the obvious choice, with 50037 (only had it a very short period) perhaps the real "exclusive".  50031 in Intercity would look good - particularly with those new Mk2 F's!

As for a re-run of 50008 - then surely its as easy to get a TTS sound chip.  Main question then being with 50015 with fitted sound (pre TTS), and 50008 with TTS, do they run well together, or would fitting TTS to 50015 be a better option, and use 50015's (Pre TTS sound chip) in another.  Also some have reported erratic running of Older Class 50's with TTS, necessitating changes to CV's.  Are 50008/15 in in this batch?  Can see a sequal book coming along....."Blood, Sweat and Hornby Sound Fifties!"  LOL!  (to those who know what I'm talking about!)

Regards,

C.  

• Funny 2

19 hours ago, pinzaboy said:

I'd very much like to see one in original livery without the jumper cables. Unless it's been done and I've missed it!

Tim

Pretty sure this hasn't been done, and the only pre-refurb example is D421 in Rail Blue - one of the earlier releases.

I have contemplated removing the jumper cables from below the front windows, and carefully locating little oblongs of yellow painted thin plasticard over the holes. The locos were manufactured with the jumper cable connectors in place, but (apart from D400 & D401) came out with the covers, and so this mod. would be quite accurate.

Anyone actually tried it?

John.