Project Builds, Detailing, Painting, Weathering

‘Spur of the Moment’ BNSF in 1/29 scale

• RMweb Gold

“Should have no problem” ;) I’m well aware of the full size reality as I hold point operator competence still so was studying them close up for three weeks doing Single Line Working last month. I’m more interested in the operation so I’ll settle for slightly oversize rail and using commercial parts.

(While I’ve built custom points in O and HO it isn’t a job I like at all and it tends to destroy the mojo for a project)
The initial idea was to use LGB track on bare boards but it’s developed a bit! Reading some of the MR articles convinced me I could keep it near flat with a few removable buildings and details to improve it. 

• 2 weeks later...

Ultimately it's your railroad and if you're happy with the track you have, then I'm all for seeing it. As you stated, it's not a permanent layout and I'm not convinced that hand built track is needed, unless this was planned as a test bed for a larger layout and you wanted to practice hand laying track.

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

The SD40-2 has had a change of identity, repatched to BNSF with some homemade transfers. 

3C9AA2FB-81F0-4772-835C-37C0FBD000FC.jpeg.79b9b65b3129bb0dceb0a416fdd0c2fa.jpeg

Once dry I’ll snuggle them fully down with microsol and then weather it. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Well apart from adding sound it’s ready to go. 
started with this,

C2247D95-C3C5-4DB3-9D70-962C96DBAD80.jpeg.6df64fa8218d842474905ba3b6f1b1f2.jpeg

and now looks like this. 
AB4B3700-D5E0-4213-B751-76597064592E.jpeg.32781641142d621a5d2d2d39b0b59524.jpeg

It’s not a totally accurate model of 1802 but inspired by as I didn’t want to alter some of the livery elements. It captures the feel for me though. 

367179E0-58C4-4408-B185-323A2FA4E968.jpeg.a2fff0d933bdb22376cacfc14eee6d6e.jpeg

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Excellent work and they really do capture the essence so well.  I imagine the decals at that scale would be very unforgiving, which shows just how good you have done with these. 

Where on earth do you even start with finding such units in this scale - were they source from the UK or imported.  Thanks for sharing

Edited by GEOEng03

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, GEOEng03 said:

Where on earth do you even start with finding such units in this scale -

Garden Railway shops and eBay ;) The SD40-2 was secondhand while the orange GP was new. We’ve lost quite a few shops in the last ten years who imported these but there are some available direct from the States at similar prices including the taxes as long as the postage isn’t £100+!

• PaulRhB changed the title to ‘Spur of the Moment’ BNSF in 1/29 scale