U.S magazine

Unclealex

Hi all, as a fan of american railroads, I enjoy reading the model railroader magazine. Unfortunately, I can no longer find it at whsmiths in Tonbridge. Has anyone else had this problem, or knows where I can get hold of a copy?

Thanks Alex

Are you a regular monthly reader, if so it is worth taking out a direct subscription on an annual basis with Kalmbach the publisher. I no longer subscribe to MR but still have a subscription to Trains their prototype magazine. I've only ever had one go missing in well over ten years. I emailed them and got a replacement copy in a couple of weeks or so.

Unfortunately I do not know of a UK source for individual copies. It was the unreliability of finding copies in my nearby WHS shops that decided me to use the subscription route.

• RMweb Premium

When I was into US outline HO, finding the magazines in WHSmiths was a bit of a lottery, some branches (mostly larger London ones) better than others.

If you are in London (or possibly Birmingham) Ian Allan used to stock them and I presume they still do but can't be certain as I haven't been there for years now.

Edited by John M Upton

I believe the WHS magazine stocking policy was devolved to the individual stores several years ago, which is why some stores stock particular magazines and others don't.

When I used to buy Trains magazine, there was a period when the Ipswich store didn't stock it, but the Norwich one did!  The Ipswich one had Railfan & Railroad magazine for a short time as well, though that has long gone from their shelves. They do tend to stock Classic Trains and the various "Specials" still though, which are the only ones I'm likely to purchase nowadays.

I subscribe to Railpace Magazine directly from the USA, as that covers my inerests in the "eastern" side of the US perfectly........

Like Keith, switched to Model Railroad Hobbyist on line several years ago. Best saving I have made in terms of magazines.   Note there are two versions of this, one paid and one free. The free one suits me fine but the paid for version has more content.

Steve W.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I no longer subscribe to Model Railroader, but for anyone looking for copies in the UK, try Newsstand.  You can subscribe for as many or as few copies as you like, to suit your budget.  I use them for my subs to MRJ, and they give a really good service.  Everything is done online or by e-mail and I can highly recommend them.

No connection other than as a satisfied customer.

HTH

Moxy

• Informative/Useful 1

• 2 months later...