Revolution TEA EWS 2mm

Chrisjh

I have got a rake of 22 x TEA EWS Revolution Wagons in 2mm which are excellent, However unlike my other wagon rakes nothing seems to pull the TEA's. I have even tried double heading with my Farish Class 57's and even my Dapol 66's, they really seem to struggle. And yet I have seen a rake of 24+ wagons being pulled by one loco, namely a Farish Class 66, I would be very grateful for any ideas. As I have run longer Dapol spine wagons on the same track with a single Farish Class 57! Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, thank you 

Best,

Chris

The RevolutioN wagons are weighted to NMRA standards which produce a much heavier wagon than the typical British model. With care the barrel endcap can be removed and the weight can be removed from the wagon. Operation without the weight might reduce the  trackholding quality of the wagons, and wagons without weights would probably need to be confined to the back of trains.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

It’s @Vonzack and his excellent layout. The Farish 60 has excellent haulage, it would always be my first port of call for heavy trains. The Farish 66 is second, the Dapol 66 a distant third. 

There can can be a fair bit of friction in the wheel sets on the  TEAs, check they’re all free rolling. They’re also heavy (built to NMRA standards, unlike our locos), there’s a weight in the tank barrel, you could cut them in half (or 2/3 or whatever) to reduce the overall weight. 

Edit: sorry, missed Mike’s comments, but we agree! 

Edited by njee20
  • Thanks 1

My Farish 66's can pull 18 TEA's, mine are very free running, better than any other rolling stock that I own. I would check that each wagon can make it down a longish gradient without help and check that the wheelsets are true in the bogies.

Regards,

John P

Many thanks Gents, I have now removed some of the weights inside the TEA's I am amazed at the size and weight of these as they seem disproportionate to the size of the wagon. Having removed most of them I now only need 3 x Class 66's to haul 26 x TEA's as opposed to 5 previously. The TEA's look fantastic. The layout is level and there are no gradients.

Best,

Chris

• RMweb Premium

That’s not right still. Check each wagon rolls freely. There’s no way you should need 1 loco for each 9 wagons. 

The weight is in line with NMRA standards, which does make sense, but as our locos aren’t it means they’re a bit on the heavy side IMO. The IZAs and Class Bs have the same issue. 

Edited by njee20

• RMweb Premium

9 hours ago, shanks522 said:

Can only echo the above comments, the Farish 60 will out pull anything.

Heres one with 24 TEA's on Hinksey yard.

Graham.

Hi Graham, sorry to disappoint you, that's my CJM class 60 :)

Cheers,

Dave

• Like 1

Hi,

I think @ChrisJM reached out to me via the YouTube video, so I hadn't seen this thread until now, but I'll copy my response in case it's of help to anybody.

Nothing special at all Chris but I tend to use a Farish 60 as in the video. They are a bit heavier than a 66 or 57, so you get slightly better traction.

Also those end curves have a very generous 3ft6 radius. If you are struggling, check the wagons roll freely, on the TEAs there's a small piece of the underbody that can foul the wheel flanges if it isn't clicked home securely, one of mine had this.

You could also look at removing or reducing the weights they have in the tank of the wagon, if you're careful the end without the ladders will unclip easily to allow access.

Hop you get it sorted.

Cheers, Mark.

• 5 weeks later...

Tried the Farish 60 not much better than a class 66 as noted above.

is there anyway to remove the weights inside the tanks as they look a bit fiddley to remove?

That way I am hoping I can haul more than 8 x TEA's

Many thanks,

Chris

On 06/09/2019 at 17:06, Chrisjh said:

Tried the Farish 60 not much better than a class 66 as noted above.

is there anyway to remove the weights inside the tanks as they look a bit fiddley to remove?

That way I am hoping I can haul more than 8 x TEA's

Many thanks,

Chris

I thought you had removed most of them back in July from the post above? Just check all wheels are in position correctly as they should be free rolling first.

Hope that helps

Mark