Kato announces Class 800 in N

Mike Harvey

5 hours ago, ash39 said:

I'm surprised how little activity there is surrounding this release considering it's going to be a key piece of rolling stock over much of the UK for the next 30 years.

Does anyone know if development is still on track, or if there have been any Covid-related delays?

Notably I am signed up to a Japanese retailers mailing list which is really good for updates and had the 800 announcement but there's hasnt been a sausage for a long, long time. I suspect that the answer is somewhere on a Japanese forum but good luck finding it!

edit to add: https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.katomodels.com%2Fhobbycenter%2Fschedule.php here's the Japanese product update page, not a sausage on the immediate schedule about the 800.

Edited by m0rris

On 27/08/2020 at 21:43, m0rris said:

Notably I am signed up to a Japanese retailers mailing list which is really good for updates and had the 800 announcement but there's hasnt been a sausage for a long, long time. I suspect that the answer is somewhere on a Japanese forum but good luck finding it!

edit to add: https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=auto&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.katomodels.com%2Fhobbycenter%2Fschedule.php here's the Japanese product update page, not a sausage on the immediate schedule about the 800.

Looking at that list, I'd have to assume Kato have dropped the idea of a class 800. 

• RMweb Gold

Kato won’t announce anything until either a trade show or it appears on their announcement list. That’s how they do it. First you know about progress is when it appears on the release schedule. Similarly nothing new officially on the 009 items but Mr Kato has demonstrated two pre production development tests privately at a exhibition in the UK ;) 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 02/09/2020 at 10:37, toolongtoremember said:

Looking at that list, I'd have to assume Kato have dropped the idea of a class 800. 

They won’t appear until they’ve finished design and are actually in the production stage ;)

This usually gives slightly more warning when to look at the production list. They are listed on the top left with year and month planned so they’ve just released 2021/1 for January 
https://www.katomodels.com/posters

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, bmthtrains - David said:

Too modern and out of my geographical location, but I’d be very tempted by one of these. Good value at £180 as well.

David

£180 before tax, and does anybody know if it is DCC ready or is it like the rest of Katos offerings where we have to change the PCB and hardwire with a specific decoder?

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, toolongtoremember said:

£180 before tax,

Generally you can get them here or imported direct for around the Kato quoted price on other items so worth watching shops like Traintrax. 

and does anybody know if it is DCC ready or is it like the rest of Katos offerings where we have to change the PCB and hardwire with a specific decoder?

No details yet but the 009 stuff with Peco is going to include dcc sockets but it will probably make equal sense for them to use an existing drop in Kato board for these. I guess if you want a specific decoder you can hardwire one but I’ve generally found the drop in boards work well and very simple to install. 
The text on the website says the tail lights will be able to be switched off for 10 car sets but no detail about dcc apart from this 

92D0D84F-3CA0-43D0-84A3-656E8E8EBA3F.jpeg.1494dcfe13bd9710c819bcead841d4cc.jpeg

Translation is DCC friendly. 

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

The Kato ICE4 uses slide in decoders for dcc so the 800 could be the same. It needs three decoders, one in power car and one in each driving car. I have these decoders which were in a set made by Zimo Model SETMX605N. Very easy to fit. There also coach lighting function only decoders available.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, hsthero said:

The Kato ICE4 uses slide in decoders for dcc so the 800 could be the same. It needs three decoders, one in power car and one in each driving car. I have these decoders which were in a set made by Zimo Model SETMX605N. Very easy to fit. There also coach lighting function only decoders available.

The diagrams show the coach is the power unit on the 800’s too so probably the same as they’ve used dcc friendly to mean this on other models. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Supaned said:

Don't know if anyone has seen these before , but these appear to be test shots / development models.

Look like CAD renders to me, note the perfect light and shadows, albeit very good ones and the real thing will look identical on previous experience :) 

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Showing the photo of the GWR one on Coombe viaduct seems almost fated to make me get one. It's certainly not in my modelling time frame but who knows, maybe I need to start saving some pennies. 

The price for a 5 coach set certainly does seem to be very very good. 

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, bmthtrains - David said:

Rails are offering pre orders for £169. Will be hard to resist at that price! A GWR set might be on trials near Rugby I suppose...?

David

They have just altered this price, apparently they make a mistake. The modified price is now £178. Still seems to be great value however. https://railsofsheffield.com/products/42168/kato-10-1671-n-gauge-class-800-0-gwr-iet-800-021-5-car-emu

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Kris said:

They have just altered this price, apparently they make a mistake. The modified price is now £178. Still seems to be great value however. https://railsofsheffield.com/products/42168/kato-10-1671-n-gauge-class-800-0-gwr-iet-800-021-5-car-emu

Comparison of  Kato pricing with some other manufacturers is "interesting". Pity that we can't get them to do some more UK-prototype models.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

"Interesting" is one word to describe the pricing:

Farish two car class 170 for £149

Dapol HST + 2x Mk2 for £169

Kato five car class 800 for £178 (all RoS prices)

Dapol five car class 222 for £191

Five Farish Mk2f for £195

Farish six car blue Pullman £299

Farish four car class 220 for £339

I can only assume Kato are going to make a million of them to keep the unit cost down!

If it runs anything like the Eurostar it'll me mechanically better than anything Farish or Dapol produce too.

"Interesting" times ahead!

Steven B.

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Comparison of  Kato pricing with some other manufacturers is "interesting". Pity that we can't get them to do some more UK-prototype models.

Their pricing is far closer to that of Dapol's than Farish's