Kato announces Class 800 in N

Mike Harvey

1 hour ago, njee20 said:

Plus an additional 5(!) decoders for the interior lights according to Hatton’s. So a 5-car set needs 8 decoders in total. 

Correct!

8 car Japanese Bullets take 11!

You could look at Lemke's (by Zimo) 10950-D1 decoder set as an alternative, though.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

That presumably means though that the motor decoder and the function decoders for the directional lights also work the interior lighting. Having to fit two decoders to each of three coaches seems a breathtakingly ridiculous design. I just don’t know why Kato don’t stick an NEM socket in there somewhere.

• RMweb Gold
54 minutes ago, njee20 said:

That presumably means though that the motor decoder and the function decoders for the directional lights also work the interior lighting. Having to fit two decoders to each of three coaches seems a breathtakingly ridiculous design. I just don’t know why Kato don’t stick an NEM socket in there somewhere.

Probably because that’s what their home market is used to and they are readily available there. 

On 10/12/2020 at 18:50, njee20 said:

That presumably means though that the motor decoder and the function decoders for the directional lights also work the interior lighting.

No!

Having to fit two decoders to each of three coaches seems a breathtakingly ridiculous design.

Breathtakingly ridiculous design - I think not!

The coaches are not (nor can be) connected electrically so a central decoder is out of the question. Thus, design a motor decoder (EM13) which controls the motor ONLY. Why waste money on a decoder with two functions when a Zero function decoder will do the job?

The end cars each have a plastic 'switch' to turn the head / tail lights on or off if the unit is running in multiple. Take the plastic out and insert an FL12 in its place where required (if two units are permanently coupled, leave the plastic 'switch' either side of the coupling)

Most, if not all, of the coaches can take the 11-209, 11-210, 11-211, 11-212, 11-213, 11-214 lighting sets per coach. The FR11 decoder simply fits between the pickups from the bogies and the lighting circuit board.

They've thought about this!

Installation is simple; the decoders just slide in to where they are to function and there are no blanking plates to remove during conversion. The decoders only perform the single function they are required to do.

Here's a summary:

image.png.72551ce051941cf4a7238ff0764b3616.png

Note that this applies to most units where the motor is not in a driver coach, such as the Eurostar or TGV. However, it covers most Japanese Bullet Trains, the Hitachi Class 800s, the ICE 4 and several other models that Kato produce!

I just don’t know why Kato don’t stick an NEM socket in there somewhere.

Because it would not be efficient or cost effective, perhaps?

Edited by BokStein
Table updated to include HobbySearch Japan
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

21 hours ago, njee20 said:

If I were a cynic I’d say it’s because they can make more money off decoders. £145 on a train costing £170. Admittedly I dislike interior lighting, so that saves me 5 decoders. 

As well as the cost of the lighting sets!

• RMweb Premium
On 03/12/2020 at 00:06, Fenway Park said:

Hobby Search in Japan have listed the Kato Assy parts for the 800 series including body shells, power units etc. These are available for reservation. 
Check out the list on their web site which is in English. 

I have just put in an order for some spare pantographs and couplings. Kato parts are well manufactured, but more vulnerable items such as couplings and pantographs may easily get damaged, and due to the nature of the production cycles, getting replacements can be tricky/verging on impossible for long periods of time (I broke a coupling on my Eurostar (power car) about 15 years ago which essentially put it out of commission for nearly ten years until the spare finally came available again!). Looks like the front draw-bar is also available (don't know if one is included in the train pack itself) as an Assy part - that is another potentially vulnerable, or easy to lose, part.

Link below:

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/list/826/0/1

Class 800 items are towards the bottom of page one and into page two at the time of posting.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, Claude_Dreyfus said:

...Looks like the front draw-bar is also available (don't know if one is included in the train pack itself) as an Assy part - that is another potentially vulnerable, or easy to lose, part.

Gaugemaster product description:

https://www.gaugemasterretail.com/magento/catalog/product/view/id/74790/s/kato-k10-1671/

Equipped with a head connection mechanism

16 hours ago, njee20 said:

I really hope they've done an accurate Brecknell Willis high speed pantograph. If they have, given the price, I'll happily have 20!

Gaugemaster product page images, select image and cursor over for enlarged detail:

https://www.gaugemasterretail.com/magento/catalog/product/view/id/74790/s/kato-k10-1671/

Regards, Gerry

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Yes, but that’s a render, not a 3D print, and definitely not the final thing. That said, doing some Googling the head on the 800s is different to other BWHS pantographs - it’s like the render, whilst most others are ‘looped’, with more of an offset between the upper arm and the head. So probably moot. 

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, njee20 said:

Yes, but that’s a render, not a 3D print, and definitely not the final thing. That said, doing some Googling the head on the 800s is different to other BWHS pantographs - it’s like the render, whilst most others are ‘looped’, with more of an offset between the upper arm and the head. So probably moot. 

Hi,

Yes, we've known its a render from when it was first made available, and the big bold lettering on the image itself:

Pre-Production 3D Print

I do think it's safe to assume the render is the Kato design element for this item, although it may be subject to revision(s) prior to production.

Regards, Gerry.

• RMweb Premium

*sigh*

Yes, I know. You advised me to look at the detail photos on the Gaugemaster page, which obviously I've already seen. But despite the bold lettering those are not 3D prints, they're renders, which probably do correlate to the design, but may not, hence saying "if they have got it right...".

However, the pantograph in the render is wrong for the majority of items fitted with a BWHS pantograph which are crying out for a decent rendition; 350, 86, 90 etc. I have now further educated myself and discovered that the pantograph fitted to the 800s is not like the BWHS fitted to those aforementioned classes, so this is completely irrelevant.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I received a mail from a Japanese supplier the other day, listing not only the new 800s but all the individual components listed as spares. I can see bogies, roof bits and pantographs being very useful to the 3D printing and kitbuilding community.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Rather if you want to switch them off, I presume. Bit of a pain, not a fan of interior lighting, so that’ll be taken out! Fair play to them for including it for the price though. 

2 hours ago, njee20 said:

Rather if you want to switch them off, I presume. Bit of a pain, not a fan of interior lighting, so that’ll be taken out! Fair play to them for including it for the price though. 

Chances are, knowing Kato, they won't be factory fitted anyway!

• 2 weeks later...

Kato have a video showing the quality of one of the pre-production cars. Starts at around 6m 36s in the video after the ads. Some seriously good quality coming along here. 

Edited by Mike Harvey
spelling
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 07/01/2021 at 20:52, njee20 said:

Reading the later comments on Hattons page, it appears that the Class 800 is not fitted with lighting, but can be retrofitted.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/newsdetail.aspx?id=949

This is the comment:-

Hattons Tom  Nick12 days ago edited

Hi Nick, thanks for your question.
I've just this morning spoken to Gaugemaster who have confirmed the situation regarding the interior coach lighting. 
The coaches do not come pre-fitted with the lighting kits but they can be added at a later stage if required.
Single coach lighting kits come under the code 11-211 and six packs are available under 11-212.
We'll be adding these to our system this afternoon and I'll make sure the article is updated with this information as well.
Once the lighting is fitted then it will work on analogue or DCC but if you want it to be controllable on DCC then you will need to fit the interior lighting decoders too.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Mike Harvey said:

Kato have a video showing the quality of one of the pre-production cars. Starts at around 6m 36s in the video after the ads. Some seriously good quality coming along here. 

That does look really good indeed. Can't wait to get my LNER one.