Kato announces Class 800 in N

Mike Harvey

• RMweb Gold
On 26/06/2021 at 17:09, Edwin_m said:

The bodyshells are also a bit shorter to allow 10 cars to fit at St Pancras - another one for Kato to go at?

The nose design of the 810 is different too, slightly more angular on the sides and new light clusters over the other 800 versions. 

E93B52DE-CD03-4124-9AA5-EC820F714BF9.jpeg.26fc24e866d2dbc2e1785797a149c863.jpeg

Tom. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 28/06/2021 at 08:15, Captain Electra said:

I've found both units perfect for the TPE overlays, as they cover all the green bits on the GWR ones.  I used a GWR unit to develop the TPX vinyls and then re-wrapped it later with Hull Trains (which I've kept).

Thanks, having thought about it a bit more the GW version is better as the TPE 802/2 doesn't have the buffet as in the Azuma.

• Like 1

My 800 arrived today thanks to super quick shipping from Osborn's - about 18 hours door to door!

I really like how Kato have tooled the model up, it appears the roof is separate to the sides, and anything white on the GWR one clips into the green main moulding. The glazing appears to just drop out, so good for weathering, varnishing etc.

The rheostatic grids are moulded as part of this roof moulding, so you'd have to carve it away to replace it to do an accurate 802. Hopefully the separate roof means Kato can easily offer all the variants in time

The only thing I feel a touch uneasy about, is liking such a lovely model but I really don't like the real things!

Jo

Edited by Steadfast
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Chris M said:

I’ve given mine a thin air brushing of dirty black on the coach ends and roofs. It’s quite subtle but it takes that white unpainted plastic look away.

BAAE24A7-4B0C-42C3-BD8C-07C4E38553C6.jpeg

D665EDB9-AB84-4EB6-BD23-F4298A05AB43.jpeg

401C5007-5856-4A64-B2A8-7CEFD7F4EDF2.jpeg

What can I say, amazing!  The weathering does make a big difference to the white ends.

Nice layout as well!

A message to Gaugemaster controls which may be of interest to others. I bought my 800 from Cheltenham Model Centre and as it is an early one it has the incorrect interior on one coach. I'm not to worried about this but I'm told Kato have sent some replacement interiors. Just wondering if I should I contact you direct or Trevor at Cheltenham if I want to get a replacement interior?

16 minutes ago, Chris M said:

A message to Gaugemaster controls which may be of interest to others. I bought my 800 from Cheltenham Model Centre and as it is an early one it has the incorrect interior on one coach. I'm not to worried about this but I'm told Kato have sent some replacement interiors. Just wondering if I should I contact you direct or Trevor at Cheltenham if I want to get a replacement interior?

Hi Chris,

You can either go through Cheltenham, or if you contact us directly we will be happy to get one in the post to you.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Chris M said:

Contact Gaugemaster directly. I purchased mine from Rails of Sheffield and Gaugemaster dealt with the replacement interior. 

3 hours ago, Market Street Warrington said:

Is there any rumours yet of a tpe livery from Kato? :tender: when do they usually publish their product line for forthcoming year? Thanks 

There already is one, see @Captain Electra above, depending on exactly what Kato's drivers were for a UK model of a Japanese designed train may affect how likely a TPE livery is direct from them.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Market Street Warrington said:

Is there any rumours yet of a tpe livery from Kato? :tender: when do they usually publish their product line for forthcoming year? Thanks 

They need to sell the several thousand GW and LNER versions first. As mentioned above the second batch of Eurostars was 10 years after the first, so don't hold your breath. I would not be surprised if the next batch were 2023/2024.

On 05/07/2021 at 13:14, Captain Electra said:

I contacted Gaugemaster and had my replacement interior within a couple of days. Really excellent service from the customer service team.

There are video instructions on how to fit the new interior here:-

https://youtu.be/dPbIcQtq6kU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPbIcQtq6kU

Edited by Mike Harvey
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Market Street Warrington said:

The Kato forward production programme is a rolling event with normally about 6-7 months of the production plan showing.

https://www.katomodels.com/schedule

To supplement that are the monthly new products flyers which appear here:-

KATO鉄道模型ホームページ | Nゲージの製造販売 (katomodels.com)

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure the advice to go directly to Gaugemaster for the replacement interiors still applies, I approached them today and was told to speak to the retailer themselves (Rails).

Just info for anybody reading the thread and going straight to Gaugemaster as others have.

Edit

Just an update, I had a message from Gaugemaster today saying people who need interiors are OK to go to them directly if they wish.

Edited by Vonzack

• 2 weeks later...

The N Gauge Decoder Package is now available @ £145.00, comprising of:

1 x ESU Plug in Decoder

1 X ESU Sugarcube Speaker Kit

2 X Kato Lighting Decoders

https://www.dckits-devideos.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=221_251_229&product_id=2017

We will be taking some Sound Fitted Units to TINGS (The N Gauge Show) in 6 Weeks time at Leamington Spa, Warwickshire and currently have 8 GWR & 7 LNER available.

Deposits taken for collection there. @ £295.00 Each. 

PM Me for Info and a £30.00 Deposit for collection on:  charlie@dckits.co.uk