Kato announces Class 800 in N

Mike Harvey

3 hours ago, cornish trains jez said:

Now I wonder if they will producing the GWR class 800 with cracks in the underframes as per the prototype which hit the headlines this morning?!? :laugh:

Can I be the first to say that from the photos it looks to be a cracking model?

• Like 1
  • Funny 5

The Japanese rail operator JRWest reported cracks in Shinkansen bogie components in 2018 which was due to suspected over grinding. I wonder what the reason is this time? No doubt someone important will have to give a public apology in Japan, while in the UK ... 

As a side issue why is Kato filed under Smaller Suppliers, its a massive undertaking.

5 hours ago, multivac said:

As a side issue why is Kato filed under Smaller Suppliers, its a massive undertaking.

Probably due to the british perception! Fog in the channel, Europe cut off! (capitalisation deliberate!)

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, multivac said:

Because Kato are (currently) a Smaller Supplier when it comes to the UK outline 1:148 scale N Gauge market?

Tom. 

Edited by TomE
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
On 08/05/2021 at 23:49, multivac said:

Already discussed here.

Yes, I think it should. If the likes of KR Models get their own area, then it is odd that a manufacturer such as Kato doesn't. As I mentioned in the other thread, it isn't just rolling stock that Kato produce.

Edited by Claude_Dreyfus
Predictive text getting it wrong!
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, AlfaZagato said:

Has anyone received their orders on these yet?   Is it to the usual Kato quality?

I've been charged for mine from Rails of Sheffield, so I assume that it is on route or will be very very soon.

Hattons have them in stock now, they look great in the images. Hopefully not long until the LNER models follow.

If anyone has access to a set I'd love to see some close up images of the roofs of the three intermediate vehicles. I'm trying to work out if I can turn one into an 801 and I think 2 of the exhaust ports will need removing (5 car 801 has 1 engine in coach 4, 5 car 800 has an engine in all 3 intermediate vehicles)

6 hours ago, fezza said:

Has anyone tried them around 2nd radius curves? I'm wondering how much track relaying I'm going to have to do... 

I expect they probably get around but you'll end up with cracked underframes after continuous running.

;-)

• Funny 2

15 hours ago, davebem said:

They look great for the price, you get a lot for your money.  Hopefully a lot of N-gaugers will take notice of how good and underated Unitrack is too.

I have been looking at N Unitrack but the six foot seems too wide on double track sections. I might be tempted for a future single track layout or a complex terminus. 

Where's the best place to buy it in the UK? A lot of places seem to have only small stocks and the prices vary a lot. 

I've just moved to N from OO and think the Kato system is fantastic, simple to use, the fact the points have built in motors, it really is the closest you can get to to plug and play.  Yes, I would highly recommend Traintrax.

4 hours ago, robf said:

I've just moved to N from OO and think the Kato system is fantastic, simple to use, the fact the points have built in motors, it really is the closest you can get to to plug and play.  Yes, I would highly recommend Traintrax.

Going off topic now, but yes the points are great, built in compact motors, spring loaded blades for opposite running, and jumpers underneath to decide how you want the power routing (dc/dcc) and if you want the frog live or not, brilliant!

On the topic of minimum radius for the Class 800, as well as the comment above re getting round tighter radii curves, but at slower speed, there is something else to take into consideration: Coach Length, Angles, and the distance between the bogies on each coach

As mentioned above, I use Unitrack. As an example as to what I'm talking about: My tightest curve is R183. Mk2 coaches and my Class 37 go round just fine. Class 43's have no issues themselves, but put Mk3 coaches on it, and they can bump into rolling stock on the next less tight curve (R216). Cue needing the n gauge RAIB...

I'll probably try it on R249 (The next Radii down from 282 with Unitrack), but I doubt it would work safely on R216 (I do not want to have to call the n gauge RAIB yet again!!). I'm sure all this could be worked out mathematically as to minimum clearance if someone was so inclined.

Iain

• RMweb Gold

Tis a thing of beauty (the model, that is) 

8002.jpg.cbf8f2828f463ae4ab83edd5af6462cc.jpg

Very impressive, but then we probably shouldn't be surprised given Kato's reputation. 

Tom.  

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, TomE said:

Tis a thing of beauty (the model, that is) 

8002.jpg.cbf8f2828f463ae4ab83edd5af6462cc.jpg

Very impressive, but then we probably shouldn't be surprised given Kato's reputation. 

Tom.  

We should also not be surprised that less than 20% of their production run will arrive in the UK by direct means!

One reason why the Kato catalogue is only available in Japanese is that the UK market is so small that it does not warrant the cost of translation!

• Informative/Useful 1