Kato announces Class 800 in N

Mike Harvey

Picked mine up today. The packaging is excellent in a very nice case. Very classy.

She runs very quietly and smoothly as you would expect from Kato. Good slow running and a high top speed straight out of the box. The whole train looks right to me and I think the colour is good. The motor is in the car just behind one of the power cars. I ran mine in both directions and it is was fine even when pushing most of the train. The coaches are very free running. I can’t comment on Minimum radius as my tightest curve is just on length of Peco R3. It runs fine through Peco points.

I will be gently weathering the white and silver roofs and also the white coach ends. Yes these items are white when the real things leave the factory but they soon get grimy out on the road. I’m happy with the sides and front being shiny as that’s they way they are most (if not all) of the time.

I’m very satisfied with this purchase and the price makes it excellent value for money.

996EACA0-8848-4C9D-9503-F0B44F221B3F.jpeg.3c319df42f96b2e33c1f7b5fae3e1074.jpeg

42E34AF6-33E1-4ECD-8107-450CC8DFE717.jpeg.b32d09f843f2dcdc38793455ad3ec2fb.jpeg

205DCA4F-34E4-40B1-920D-D4C4C0D3C1B7.jpeg.72e1ee4db77f4b6ab4ee98cdf3624179.jpeg

79692193-D8F6-4F75-97B8-4220BFA2510F.jpeg.d44e97396124be882e503fe727cfc8e7.jpeg

Edited by Chris M
  • Like 16
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Thought this would make an interesting comparison. The two most recent N Gauge models of premier UK high speed trains.

800pend.jpg.fdcde16480a8f893699f4188d6f29a3c.jpg

Both excellent models. 

Tom.  

• Like 10

I think I mentioned earlier I've just moved to N from OO, mainly to save on space, but wow, I'm very impressed with the quality of the models, given the size.  The 800 seems to verify this.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Chris M said:

Picked mine up today. The packaging is excellent in a very nice case. Very classy.

She runs very quietly and smoothly as you would expect from Kato. Good slow running and a high top speed straight out of the box. The whole train looks right to me and I think the colour is good. The motor is in the car just behind one of the power cars. I ran mine in both directions and it is was fine even when pushing most of the train. The coaches are very free running. I can’t comment on Minimum radius as my tightest curve is just on length of Peco R3. It runs fine through Peco points.

I will be gently weathering the white and silver roofs and also the white coach ends. Yes these items are white when the real things leave the factory but they soon get grimy out on the road. I’m happy with the sides and front being shiny as that’s they way they are most (if not all) of the time.

I’m very satisfied with this purchase and the price makes it excellent value for money.

996EACA0-8848-4C9D-9503-F0B44F221B3F.jpeg.3c319df42f96b2e33c1f7b5fae3e1074.jpeg

42E34AF6-33E1-4ECD-8107-450CC8DFE717.jpeg.b32d09f843f2dcdc38793455ad3ec2fb.jpeg

205DCA4F-34E4-40B1-920D-D4C4C0D3C1B7.jpeg.72e1ee4db77f4b6ab4ee98cdf3624179.jpeg

Nice, Are these few images representing Starcross/Dawlish/Dawlish Warren area by any chance ? (Nice Class 52 btw, I have one in Green)

9 hours ago, irpy said:

Nice, Are these few images representing Starcross/Dawlish/Dawlish Warren area by any chance ? (Nice Class 52 btw, I have one in Green)

Yes, Dawlish Warren. The layout is in the just published June Railway Modeller. Also there are a few more photos of this layout on the Warley MRC Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/Warley.MRC.Exhibition

Edited by Chris M
spelling
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, robf said:

I think I mentioned earlier I've just moved to N from OO, mainly to save on space, but wow, I'm very impressed with the quality of the models, given the size.  The 800 seems to verify this.

I sold all my 00 back in the 1990s and had a sabbatical for a few years. I then built a G scale garden railway in the early part of this century. It took me about 10 years to realise that if gets too cold for a garden railway in the winter so I decided to build something indoors. After looking at was was around I was so impressed with the detail on the N gauge models that it was an easy choice to make. I haven't looked back since. Yes the choice of available models is much greater in 00 but thats the only disadvantage. I just love being able to run scale length trains in an average size room, something you aren't going to do in 00. I find one of those magnifying lamps is essential when working on anything in N.

Enjoy your N gauge modelling.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Mine arrived this morning - very nice - I especially liked the included pieces of unitrack - was not expecting that!.... I’m guessing Kato perhaps do that with all their train packs, but this is my first/only Kato rolling stock.

The paint job is top quality, but I am gonna say this - the green colour is wrong - it just is.... I’m aware of all the ‘colour is subjective’ chat, but it is wrong. There are also several minor livery ‘discrepancies’, although some of those are strictly for the purist and even I can overlook them. The two different shades of yellow on the nose cone (which was pointed out to me by someone else) is also quite apparent - bit of a shame. I also feel the body side cantrail line is a bit thick, but passable.

In terms of running, they don’t run as quiet as all the hype about Kato led me to expect.... perhaps we’re so spoiled these days that ‘good runners’ seem ‘average’.... it was smooth, but the motor whine was not especially quiet.

The other thing that others may not pick up on, is that the flanges are a bit deep by modern standards - I know this because my DC layout uses Atlas code 55 and the flanges are just skipping across the tops of the small moulded sleeper spikes, making a very noticeable and characteristic noise - the only other ‘modern’ standard model that has that problem that I own is the Dapol Super Voyager.

By contrast, my DCC layout uses Peco code 55 and there was no such problem with the flanges (pushing the non-powered cars along the Peco track with power off!). Clearly my 800s will have to be chipped at the earliest opportunity so they can run on track with the necessary flange clearance. 

A really nice model overall and cracking value for money, but I do wish the green had been a bit closer to the real thing.

Mines arrived as well.  I think it's pretty amazing and real value for money.  The green is ok, I'm not a purist by any means, downscaled colours are always a challenge and very subjective, take any manufacturer and they will all have their own interpretation of the colour.

It runs like a dream from the box.  It seems happy with a Unitrack R282 S-curve without a straight piece in the middle, and by coincidence it fits perfectly in the standard Unitrack M2 or V1 passing loop which is great as I only have room on the inside circuit for the standard length loop with island platform.

All in very impressed for the money, I can forgive any livery discrepancies, especially given it's size!

The green on the Kato model does seem to vary depending on the lighting, but in all the photos is does seem to replicate the horrible flat finish that the vinyled 800/0s have. The later builds that are painted are a much glossier and deeper green.

Has anyone plonked it next to a Dapol HST? The green on that doesn't seem too bad for a painted GWR green

Jo

• RMweb Gold

I would take Kato's interpretation of colour over Dapol's any day!

I've made up a little review of the model HERE. Be gentle, it's the first review I've written! :D

Tom.  

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 1

14 minutes ago, TomE said:

I've made up a little review of the model HERE. Be gentle, it's the first review I've written! :D

Tom.  

Hey, great review, well done!

I would tend to agree with your points, the model isn't 100% but what is, I'm certainly very happy with my GWR 800.

• Thanks 1

I’ve just read elsewhere that Kato have made quite a mistake. On the first class car the seating is the wrong way round so the seats are all in the wrong place. Because of the way everything fits together it’s not possible to just turn the interior round. 

I must confess it doesn’t worry me overmuch. I never bother with fitting passengers so how can I complain if the seats aren’t correct? Just imagine the rage if Dapol had made a mistake like that.

So far as colour is concerned I think it is good. That GWR green is a very strange colour in the first place as it seems to look much darker sometimes than others.  Colour will always be subjective - just think of all the chromatic blue discussions.

As I said above the only thing I don’t like is the white roofs and coach ends. They are probably correct but not so noticeable on the real thing.

Edited by Chris M

24 minutes ago, Chris M said:

I’ve just read elsewhere that Kato have made quite a mistake. On the first class car the seating is the wrong way round so the seats are all in the wrong place. Because of the way everything fits together it’s not possible to just turn the interior round. 

Just imagine the rage if Dapol had made a mistake like that.

They did; their Mk.3 FOs had 2+2 seating.

1 hour ago, BernardTPM said:

They did; their Mk.3 FOs had 2+2 seating.

In addition the 2nd/Std seating was not representative of the two most often used layouts used by BR, using something from, I think Grand Central.

4 hours ago, Chris M said:

As I said above the only thing I don’t like is the white roofs and coach ends. They are probably correct but not so noticeable on the real thing.

I agree with the coach ends but it's probably due to them not having the jumper cables between them! Still a cracking model!  

post-1062-0-96250800-1539967039.jpeg.6ae1103369f015e14089ae535fe8ff82.jpeg

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, cazadoom said:

I agree with the coach ends but it's probably due to them not having the jumper cables between them! Still a cracking model!  

post-1062-0-96250800-1539967039.jpeg.6ae1103369f015e14089ae535fe8ff82.jpeg

I don’t know why they have not included the connectors for the jumpers. Missing the dramatically alters the appearance of the coach ends. An unexpected bit of modelling will be required to fix it. 

14 hours ago, TomE said:

Tom.  

Hallo,

Very good review. Still debating whether to buy an Azuma or two as these are so far away from my era (though I do have a Pendolino). Shame that they had not offered a 9-car.

Did you use the long or the short coupling when connecting the power cars?  Wondering if they are prototypically close...

es grüßt

pc 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Kris said:

I don’t know why they have not included the connectors for the jumpers. Missing the dramatically alters the appearance of the coach ends. An unexpected bit of modelling will be required to fix it. 

At least they have avoided the Farish solution on the the Class 350 which was to mould the jumper cables as a solid mass.

• Agree 1

The representation of the jumper housing is disappointingly shallow. The first thing I will do is paint the representation of the jumper housings black. I think that in itself will be worthwhile improvement. Modelling the jumper cables will be fiddly and a pain when the train is removed from or put on the track. I must say the lack of jumpers didn’t worry me but those totally white coach ends do shout out as being wrong and, for me, spoil the look of the train as it goes past. 

I thought Tom’s review was good to read and accurate. Despite my little grumble this is a great model and also wonderful value for money. Everyone should have one. :)

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, Padishar Creel said:

Hallo,

Very good review. Still debating whether to buy an Azuma or two as these are so far away from my era (though I do have a Pendolino). Shame that they had not offered a 9-car.

Did you use the long or the short coupling when connecting the power cars?  Wondering if they are prototypically close...

es grüßt

pc 

Thanks! It's the short coupling used in the review photos. Heres a direct comparison of the two supplied:

800coup.jpg.18cc30f5804ac653a248d12e0eee403f.jpg

Tom. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

I am delighted with my Class 800. 

The reality is that each process in a model's production adds cost.  Kato could have painted the jumper sockets, could have fitted representations of the jumper cables, could have painted the pitot (?) on the front, could have added a photo-etched pantograph head, could have reworked the composite car interior, could have painted the end boxes silver and equipment box catches yellow, could've painted the door handles silver, moulded a different driver's end bogie to include the driver's footsteps, could've printed the fine lettering in the warning labels and the small markings along the lower edges etc etc but this would've put the price up.

The 800/0 (and presumably 801/1 to follow) follows their very successful 'house style' which is for well-designed and manufactured mechanisms combined with neatly and accurately moulded plastic parts and a minimum of painting steps.

I'd love them to have a crack at the near identical 802s in TPE livery and then perhaps the 9-car sets, with the additional cars with their inside bearing bogies.

cheers

Ben A.

Edited by Ben A
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

51 minutes ago, Ben A said:

I'd love them to have a crack at the near identical 802s in TPE livery

Yes! That would be a striking model, and sit very nicely with those MK.5s you are working on :D

1 hour ago, Ben A said:

The reality is that each process in a model's production adds cost.  Kato could have painted the jumper sockets, could have fitted representations of the jumper cables, could have painted the pitot (?) on the front, could have added a photo-etched pantograph head, could have reworked the composite car interior, could have painted the end boxes silver and equipment box catches yellow, could've painted the door handles silver, moulded a different driver's end bogie to include the driver's footsteps, could've printed the fine lettering in the warning labels and the small markings along the lower edges etc etc but this would've put the price up.

I suppose it highlights how accustomed we have become in the UK to having all finer details and printing from the likes of Farish/Revolution etc, that when a model comes along that doesn't go to the same degree they will be the things immediately picked up on. I'm not saying that as a criticism of either approach, but comparison is inevitable. The lower price of the 800 does offset the lack of these finer details, but if Kato had pitched in at the same price point we see in the home market then I imagine there would have been a lot more gnashing of teeth about these little things. 

The reversed MC seating is an odd one though. Not the sort of mistake you would expect from a Japanese manufacturer. 

Tom.  

• Agree 1