Jump to content

Kato announces Class 800 in N


Mike Harvey
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 18/01/2021 at 21:54, Mike Harvey said:

 

Reading the later comments on Hattons page, it appears that the Class 800 is not fitted with lighting, but can be retrofitted.

 

https://www.hattons.co.uk/newsdetail.aspx?id=949

 

This is the comment:-

 

Hattons Tom  Nick12 days ago edited

Hi Nick, thanks for your question.
I've just this morning spoken to Gaugemaster who have confirmed the situation regarding the interior coach lighting. 
The coaches do not come pre-fitted with the lighting kits but they can be added at a later stage if required.
Single coach lighting kits come under the code 11-211 and six packs are available under 11-212.
We'll be adding these to our system this afternoon and I'll make sure the article is updated with this information as well.
Once the lighting is fitted then it will work on analogue or DCC but if you want it to be controllable on DCC then you will need to fit the interior lighting decoders too.

That was me asking that one lol!!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Looks great, captures the look perfectly. 
 

Not sure about their shade of GWR green though. Might just be the video & lighting but looks a bit on the pale side to me. 
 

Tom. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, TomE said:

Looks great, captures the look perfectly. 
 

Not sure about their shade of GWR green though. Might just be the video & lighting but looks a bit on the pale side to me. 
 

Tom. 

 

The paint looked unfinished to me, like it hadn't been varnished maybe. I wouldn't judge it based on that clip.

 

Really impressed with the livery application though, especially how they've represented the fact that the vinyls don't go into the recesses and are just white in these places. Great job

Link to post
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, TomE said:

Looks great, captures the look perfectly. 
 

Not sure about their shade of GWR green though. Might just be the video & lighting but looks a bit on the pale side to me. 
 

Tom. 

Pretty sure it’s the lights or exposure as it’s the same for the RhB baggage car and one of the Japanese emu’s I’ve seen studio photos of, they both look a bit washed out in the video. The other studio shots look spot for colour on so I’d not worry about the 800. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

For those who find facts interesting the 8XX series is based on Hitatchi A train platform and the nose design is clearly based on the JR Kyushu (An island of the coast of Japan in the south) class 885 “Sonic” there are very similar to UK loading gauge but obviously operate on 3ft 6 as does most of the former JR non Shinkansen network https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/885_series

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

It's looking very nice indeed, the shape looks spot on. Taken the plunge and ordered an LNER example. 

 

Still not sure about the shade of green on the GWR example, looks very washed out to me but I'm sure KATO are across it. 

 

Tom.  

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, TomE said:

It's looking very nice indeed, the shape looks spot on. Taken the plunge and ordered an LNER example. 

 

Still not sure about the shade of green on the GWR example, looks very washed out to me but I'm sure KATO are across it. 

 

Tom.  

 

Yeah, looks teal in the pictures doesn't it? Could just be the white balance on the camera. Ironically I prefer the teal to the shade on the prototype! 

 

Not a lot that can go wrong on the LNER version being essentially plain white so I'll probably get one too. 

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, TomE said:

It's looking very nice indeed, the shape looks spot on. Taken the plunge and ordered an LNER example. 

 

Still not sure about the shade of green on the GWR example, looks very washed out to me but I'm sure KATO are across it. 

 

Tom.  

 

I think it's just the lighting.. Looks a bit over-exposed. 

 

3 hours ago, ash39 said:

 

Yeah, looks teal in the pictures doesn't it? Could just be the white balance on the camera. Ironically I prefer the teal to the shade on the prototype! 

 

Not a lot that can go wrong on the LNER version being essentially plain white so I'll probably get one too. 

 

Gotta agree... I sorta like the colour they used. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Teal was the exact word I was going to use. I mean I'd go as far as to say that looks totally wrong. Perhaps it is poor photography, but that doesn't bode well!

 

We'll see when they arrive I guess! At least they've now got the colour palette for Avanti too! :wacko:

Link to post
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Gaugemaster Controls said:

Kato have sent us some absolutely sensational pre-production images of the Class 800. The GWR version is almost finished, whereas the LNER version is still waiting to have its livery applied.

 

kato-800.jpg.3d133eec334fca9219f50bac75ad32c4.jpg

Kato-800-GWR1.jpg.2471f3eeae7827750290521e5968f828.jpg

Kato-800-GWR2.jpg.41977685187186422f64f0e7ad9e7034.jpg

Kato-800-GWR3.jpg.8f2157e7e93ff57f7ca0f970243dbcb6.jpg

Kato-800-LNER1.jpg.d5a4443e86ad66cceebb1b2ae68deb42.jpg

Kato-800-LNER3.jpg.8f352881bdf10453271d895119087120.jpg

Kato-800-LNER2.jpg.203b614d74969f50ffea441254c5b105.jpg

Just turn down the brightness a bit and it matches the dramatic shot much better ;) the full model shots are way over lit! I haven’t touched the colour at all just lighting. 

 

851F040C-E3E2-4FED-93F3-43E5379723AB.jpeg.2f108600c97283db956743c4e70505d6.jpeg

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

If you watch the video a bit higher up this thread, the colour looks better and less over exposed. Even in the video though I’m not sure the colour is quite right.... starting to reconsider my pre-order for the GWR version.

 

Surely it would have been easy enough to just ask GWR what RAL colours they use (or whatever colour system they use for vinyls)....?

 

As an aside, if I want to run on DCC, is the general impression that you would need the three-coach pack for (x2) cab cars head/tail light and the motor coach (ie. DCC89), plus two additional FR11 decoders (interior lighting) for the two intermediate non-motorised coaches?.... ie. does the triple pack (DCC89) provide interior lighting control in addition to the head/tail/motor???

 

Or do I need five FR11 if I want interior lighting throughout - this scenario really adds a lot more to the basic cost....

Link to post
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, JR_P said:

Surely it would have been easy enough to just ask GWR what RAL colours they use (or whatever colour system they use for vinyls)....?

Hi

 

Unfortunately its not that simple as colour doesn’t scale well plus the underlying substrate is different so the colour will look different. Colour is also subjective and what looks right to one person may look wrong to another. 

 

The company I work for has spent a lot of money on software and spectrometers so we can guarantee printing our customers products within specific tolerances.

 

Cheers

 

Paul

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 09/03/2021 at 01:38, JR_P said:

 

Surely it would have been easy enough to just ask GWR what RAL colours they use (or whatever colour system they use for vinyls)....?

 

 

Not so easy, colour can be perceived differently based on the size of an object and the base material it is applied to. 

 

For starters, you can paint a larger object and a smaller object in the same colour, the smaller object tends to look darker as it reflects less light as compared to the larger object. 

 

Secondly, the material the object is made of and the base colour of the material also effect the end result of the paint. 

Edited by MGR Hooper!
Link to post
Share on other sites

On 08/03/2021 at 20:08, JR_P said:

If you watch the video a bit higher up this thread, the colour looks better and less over exposed. Even in the video though I’m not sure the colour is quite right.... starting to reconsider my pre-order for the GWR version.

 

Surely it would have been easy enough to just ask GWR what RAL colours they use (or whatever colour system they use for vinyls)....?

 

As an aside, if I want to run on DCC, is the general impression that you would need the three-coach pack for (x2) cab cars head/tail light and the motor coach (ie. DCC89), plus two additional FR11 decoders (interior lighting) for the two intermediate non-motorised coaches?.... ie. does the triple pack (DCC89) provide interior lighting control in addition to the head/tail/motor???

 

Or do I need five FR11 if I want interior lighting throughout - this scenario really adds a lot more to the basic cost....

DCC89 just does the motor and both head and tail lights. There is no electrical connection between coaches so yes, you will need 5 of FR11 decoders if you need to control the coach lights.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 09/03/2021 at 04:17, MGR Hooper! said:

 

Not so easy, colour can be perceived differently based on the size of an object and the base material it is applied to. 

 

For starters, you can painting a larger object and a smaller object in the same colour, the smaller object tends to look darker as it reflects less light as compared to the larger object. 

 

Secondly, the material the object is made of and the base colour of the material also effect the end result of the paint. 

Also the shape affects the look of the colour.

  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...