Kato/Peco Announce FR Locos in 009! (confirmed!)

Edge

Apparently a collaboration between Peco and Kato to produce the FR Englands and Doubel Fairlies in 009!

9GlpGpF.jpg

Now i I have no clue as the validity of this (although the multiple photos in different environments does help with authenticity in my mind), but if true, this is very exciting stuff (albeit with a pinch of salt required at this stage)

Perhaps someone in the know can confirm this is genuine? It would be great if it were!

Edited by Edge
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

It does finally explain why they are doing the FR 'Birminghams' (Bug Boxes) they announced some months back.

On the double Fairlie the big question has to be which one? They're all different and mostly so in more than just small detail.*

* Yes, there are a lot of differences in the small Englands too. I assume Prince in green will have the original low style cab though, which would closely match Princess. As far as I know Prince has had a higher cab ever since it went red.

Edited by BernardTPM
  • Agree 1

Excellent news  -  the "Englands" although quite expensive (!) are much more representative of the normal hard worked, simple Victorian narrow gauge locos.  I would certainly buy a couple.

The double Fairlie is an engineering nightmare, but Kato have done some wonderful locos in the past.

• Agree 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, A Murphy said:

Please note that as far as I can tell and contrary to another new thread on the board, this topic has not been quarantined.

Thanks to the vigilance of another member the duplicate topics were removed. However, this topic was originally in Smaller Suppliers (now moved) so the duplicates were probably posted with good intentions rather than laziness.

• Thanks 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

31 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Thanks to the vigilance of another member the duplicate topics were removed. However, this topic was originally in Smaller Suppliers (now moved) so the duplicates were probably posted with good intentions rather than laziness.

Hi Andy

sorry that would have been me I never though in looking in any other place for this announcement please accept my appoligy for that anyway am looking forward to starting my 009 collection

Thanks

Alan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, A Murphy said:

Please note that as far as I can tell and contrary to another new thread on the board, this topic has not been quarantined.

best wishes,

Alastair M

Problem is the forum was just saying you don’t have permission to view this and led to a dead end so wondered if it had been reported as breaking early and gone into the auto quarantine ;) both topics just went in smaller suppliers ;) 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Mr Kato was in the UK in May and visited the Derby Exhibition - he was introduced to our Exhibition Manager by the representatives on the Peco stand - if only we knew then what we know now . . . . .!

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

There will be many that say that's too much for a twitchy wee loco but it's in the Price range for the Rock HF110s and considerably cheaper than the kit built metal locos from Bemo etc  so is probably about right. 

I'd guess the Fairlie could be built around a Kato bo-bo chassis with valve gear added. Each loco probably has God knows how many variants so a modular approach might work for cabs, chimneys etc.

• Agree 1

At this distance in time as has been said any guesses on price would be just that, however I suspect that no "scale" 009 locomotive will be seen  below three figures such is the price of todays quality.

John Bruce.

Former 009 Society TLO.

• Agree 5

• RMweb Gold

Can't imagine a Fairlie will come out below the price of the Heljan L&B locos, then add in three or four years of inflation and the effects (begun today) of further falls in the pound.

I'd be looking (optimistically, I fear) at a ball-park figure between £250 and £300 by the time it arrives.

That would still be a fair bit cheaper than the price forecast by Roco for their abortive Fairlie project a while back, though. 

John 

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

Can't imagine a Fairlie will come out below the price of the Heljan L&B locos, then add in three or four years of inflation and the effects (begun today) of further falls in the pound.

I'd be looking (optimistically, I fear) at a ball-park figure between £250 and £300 by the time it arrives.

That would still be a fair bit cheaper than the price forecast by Roco for their abortive Fairlie project a while back, though. 

John 

Kato's current range in N is very reasonably priced. I don't see why the Fairlie should be all that expensive.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

Kato's current range in N is very reasonably priced. I don't see why the Fairlie should be all that expensive.

I think that there will be a big difference in production quantities for the UK items where modern image N and preservation 009 occupy markets far smaller than the Japanese N market which has an 80% market share in Japan.

After many years resisting the allure of 009, I think the opportunity to own my very own 'Prince' might finally tempt me as I have a bit of a soft spot for this particular locomotive. It's a little odd that they're doing it in green; it's been red for the last 40 years IIRC and it had a 'flat' footplate back then whereas now it is raised underneath the water tank. The cynic inside me wonders if they are waiting to do the current 'Prince' (and the also currently operational 'Palmerston') in the second batch so people end up buying two! 

£150 is a little steep for an 0-4-0 but 009 is still somewhat of a niche. Hattons are quoting £130 which is a bit more palatable. I'd be expecting the Fairlie to come in at just under £200 but it could be lower. I seriously doubt the market would take a price of £200> for them.