Kato/Peco Announce FR Locos in 009! (confirmed!)

Edge

• 7 months later...

Hello everyone - has anyone heard any more news on this project from Peco or Kato. Particularly interested to know what might happen re the Double Fairlies. Suspect Covid has delayed things significantly, not least because I imagine the Kato team wouldn't have been able to travel here this year.

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, drt7uk said:

Hello everyone - has anyone heard any more news on this project from Peco or Kato. Particularly interested to know what might happen re the Double Fairlies. Suspect Covid has delayed things significantly, not least because I imagine the Kato team wouldn't have been able to travel here this year.

It’s normal for Kato to only announce progress at toyfairs and on their new items page. The Fairlie is due 2021/22 so don’t expect anything much on that soon. It’s all continuing to plan according to Peco a couple of months ago. 

• 1 month later...
On 01/10/2020 at 11:53, SomethingTrainLover said:

Hoping for an update on the Englands in the next couple months. It's been what? Ten months since they showed off one of the early chassis prototypes?

Mmmmm.....what else has happened in the last 10 months?  Nah, can't think of anything :P

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, bingley hall said:

Mmmmm.....what else has happened in the last 10 months?  Nah, can't think of anything :P

Well yes obviously :P . I meant it's been rather quiet on both Peco and Kato's ends on any real sort of update, like verbal update. And we got the full renders and announcement for early next year, I figure the EPs should follow in the next few months given this.

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, SomethingTrainLover said:

Well yes obviously :P . I meant it's been rather quiet on both Peco and Kato's ends on any real sort of update, like verbal update. And we got the full renders and announcement for early next year, I figure the EPs should follow in the next few months given this.

That’s Kato’s usual way of doing it, they are very traditional like that. They only announce at shows usually, seeing CAD is relatively rare except at the Nurnberg toyfair or Japanese equivalent. The six month warning announcement on the poster is usually the first hint and I’d expect to see the ep at Nurnberg in February in whatever way they do that event and not before on previous experience. 

5 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

That’s Kato’s usual way of doing it, they are very traditional like that. They only announce at shows usually, seeing CAD is relatively rare except at the Nurnberg toyfair or Japanese equivalent. The six month warning announcement on the poster is usually the first hint and I’d expect to see the ep at Nurnberg in February in whatever way they do that event and not before on previous experience. 

Aye. I mean either way, I'm excited. The 3D model looks fantastic, the early prototypes were already fantastic runners and from what I've read Kato still wasn't happy, so I can only imagine the running quality.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

In the February Railway Modeller with two CAD pictures. (My bold for main features).

”Comprising a cast metal chassis and plastic injection moulded components, the DCC ready model is set to feature a flywheel-equipped coreless motor in the locomotive driving the rear coupled axle, with electrical pick-ups from all wheels (including the tender). The model has been designed for use around curves of no less than 217mm radius, with Peco 009 couplings fitted as Standard. will be available initially: ref:52-201-A Princes and ref:51-201-B Prince, both presented in maroon livery.”

(217mm = 8 ½ inches)

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, M4tt80 said:

Anyone had any news? Last I heard these were meant to be released Q1 2021

When it’s about 4-6 months away it will appear on the forthcoming releases page here on the poster and the number indicates which month it’s due. 
https://www.katomodels.com/posters

There was never any announcement of Q1 just a vague hopefully early 2021 but Covid threw that out as said above. They should still be here this year from the Peco side but they aren’t saying dates. 

• Agree 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 25/03/2021 at 00:00, PaulRhB said:

When it’s about 4-6 months away it will appear on the forthcoming releases page here on the poster and the number indicates which month it’s due. 
https://www.katomodels.com/posters

There was never any announcement of Q1 just a vague hopefully early 2021 but Covid threw that out as said above. They should still be here this year from the Peco side but they aren’t saying dates. 

Bit of an update here on the Hattons' website

https://www.hattons.co.uk/newsdetail.aspx?id=565

Cheers,

Keith

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, TrainMan2001 said:

Does this mean it'll be available worldwide? If so, that'll make it easier to get one.

According to Peco, they are handling UK and Europe sales, Kato the rest of the world.

Edited by NCB

• 4 weeks later...

There's something not quite right about the cab. To me the door apertures look far too narrow. The detailing on the under frame looks quite "chunky" and plasticky too. I wouldn't complain, but for a £150 RRP I'd want it to be as good as it can be. Despite it's diminutive size it's considerably more expensive than the models Kato have made for the Japanese market.

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, nathan70000 said:

There's something not quite right about the cab. To me the door apertures look far too narrow. The detailing on the under frame looks quite "chunky" and plasticky too. I wouldn't complain, but for a £150 RRP I'd want it to be as good as it can be. Despite it's diminutive size it's considerably more expensive than the models Kato have made for the Japanese market.

It's on a par with n gauge steam loco's from Farish.

38 minutes ago, nathan70000 said:

There's something not quite right about the cab. To me the door apertures look far too narrow.

The door width  is very narrow on most of the England locos. The current Prince cab is both taller and with larger openings than the other, more original locos (or to the old Prince cab). There's a useful table of dimensions here. Both Princess and Welsh Pony have doors just 10" wide! (3⅓mm in 4mm scale).

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1