Kato/Peco Announce FR Locos in 009! (confirmed!)

Edge

• RMweb Gold
On 15/10/2021 at 22:01, No Decorum said:

Looking even lovelier in the Peco Autumn Watch video from about 17.52.

Thanks for the link to the whole thing, highly informative on a number of fronts (especially OO BH in my case) and very well presented by Mr Haynes.

22,500 yards of track a month. The mind boggles. Presumably it's across all scales, but that's getting on for thirteen miles of the stuff.

John

I've just ordered two of the mechanisms, I'm more excited by them than the FR locos.  Hattons has photos, very nice, the weights that form the saddle tank and frame are removable. Underneath is a flywheel equipped chassis, all very compact.  I'm certain I will find use for these in one project or another...

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, commsbloke said:

Would the Small Englands pull a train backwards or did they have to be turned?

It’s quite usual to see them running tender first. There’s no turntable at Blaenau so they can’t be turned there and I think only wagon tables at Porthmadog so locos aren’t generally turned. On the FR the single ended locos generally work with the smokebox uphill, probably to keep the firebox crown covered better, although on the recent Bygones weekend Palmerston was turned to face downhill, (I guess on a wagon table), as something different and they’ve done it before when they’ve worked over the WHR section. 

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, commsbloke said:

Would the Small Englands pull a train backwards or did they have to be turned?

There were turntables at Boston Lodge and Blaenau and there are published photographs of the England engines facing downhill, but I'm pretty sure they are all pre-WW1. 

[Edit] there are photos of Englands facing North on the WHR in the Twenties and Thirties, so they must have been being turned then.

In preservation they have run tender-first from Blaenau to Porthmadog.

Edited by Andy Kirkham
  • Informative/Useful 1

4 hours ago, TheEngineShed said:

I've just ordered two of the mechanisms, I'm more excited by them than the FR locos.  Hattons has photos, very nice, the weights that form the saddle tank and frame are removable. Underneath is a flywheel equipped chassis, all very compact.  I'm certain I will find use for these in one project or another...

I'm wondering whether one would fit the Langley kit. I've already got one, but not a chassis!

Might be worth a try. If not I'm sure I could find a use for it.

Jason

19 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

It’s quite usual to see them running tender first. There’s no turntable at Blaenau so they can’t be turned there and I think only wagon tables at Porthmadog so locos aren’t generally turned. On the FR the single ended locos generally work with the smokebox uphill, probably to keep the firebox crown covered better, although on the recent Bygones weekend Palmerston was turned to face downhill, (I guess on a wagon table), as something different and they’ve done it before when they’ve worked over the WHR section. 

That is precisely why the single engines on the FR face Blaenau ;)  AIUI. Palmerston was indeed turned on a waggon turntable (I'm sure I saw a photo of it being done); that is the usual method.

In general, you always want to keep the water in the Englands near to or in the top nut because they use water very quickly at line speed. When the FR single engines are working on the Welsh Highland, it is easier if they are facing Caernarfon if they are only working as far as Rhyd Ddu... This is precisely what happnened over the Winter of 2015/16, when the FR was closed and we ran twice daily to Rhyd Ddu in the FR timings. Before Christmas, it was Linda and Blanche, and after Christmas, it was The Earl with one the Ladies, both of which had been turned to help the crews manage their water levels. If you're going over the whole WHR, it makes little difference, although as a point of interest, the steepest part of the line is Tryfan Junction platform, which is 1-in-37 towards Port.

• Informative/Useful 4

I have just read these aren't DCC ready. Which is a bit of a shame, but no deal breaker.  I've wired my layout in anticipation of a DCC ready Alice. Hopefully the tender space will allow for chip storage. Really looking forward to getting Prince.

I was going to say the same. If Bachman can make space in a tiny Hunslet for DCC, I’m sure Peco/Kato could have done the same. Especially as it has a tender. Looking at the chassis pic, there are wires going to the motor so I guess you will be able to splice a chip in there.

• RMweb Gold

Having found an unused shelf at the weekend, I am planning a small 009 shelf layout. Can anybody tell me how long Prince is please? I can only find a quote of 26' (including tender) which looked a bit short when I compared it next to another loco in photo.

Thank in advance,

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

Having found an unused shelf at the weekend, I am planning a small 009 shelf layout. Can anybody tell me how long Prince is please? I can only find a quote of 26' (including tender) which looked a bit short when I compared it next to another loco in photo.

Thank in advance,

Roy

Festipedia says 26ft 1in and I’m sure that would have been corrected if it was wrong. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

Thank in advance,

Roy

The model should be just over 10cm

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks to you all.

I have knocked up a plan and that gives a headshunt big enough for a L&B Manning Wardle, which should also be able to accommodate a Prince. Not basing the plank on anywhere real, just something small and fun to operate. 

Thanks again,

Roy

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, sir douglas said:

ive got a drawing in a magazine to 1:32 scale, the length over bufferbeams including tender scales down to 92mm in 1:76 (4mm).

That’s a bit short, it should be 104mm to scale and then you need to allow extra for the Peco couplings, so around 120mm including couplings. 

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

That’s a bit short, it should be 104mm to scale and then you need to allow extra for the Peco couplings, so around 120mm including couplings. 

Is the 26' over bufferbeams or buffers though? The two lengths quotes have 18" difference either end, which whilst a bit long for buffers, they could be they account for some.

Nonetheless, I have allowed 135mm (+ the toe end of a point if really necessary) which should be plenty.

Been in love with the Englands since my first visit to the Ffestiniog as a 12 year old and seeing Welsh Pony on her plinth at Porthmadog as we arrived. Really looking forward to getting Prince and most probably Princess.

Roy

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

Is the 26' over bufferbeams or buffers though? The two lengths quotes have 18" difference either end, which whilst a bit long for buffers, they could be they account for some.

I don’t honestly know. I would think over buffers but the peco coupling usually sticks out much further than buffers. 
9 inches for the shank and head sounds reasonable. 
Prince usually carries a chopper but Welsh Pony and Palmerston have the smaller original central buffer. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Some interesting photos in this months 009 News that look to be from Railway Modeller (which I don't read).

They show the constituent parts of both the loco and tender. It doesn't look easy to get a decoder in the tender without loosing some or all of the weight and that may risk derailments.

I think the best bet may be to mill some of the main chassis block to get a decoder above the worm drive and then (hopefully) get a sugar cube speaker in the tender.

DCC is going to be a challenge...

Roy

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Roy Langridge said:

DCC is going to be a challenge...

DCC sound is a challenge, but plain DCC should be fairly easy with the Zimo mx616 or the even smaller mx615 coming, (8.2x5.7x2mm
0.5A continuous / 1A peak), it could be stuck to the cab roof out of the way. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, franciswilliamwebb said:

The photos in RM seem to show a substantial trough above the motor and gears, which could well be where a decoder is meant to live?

The issue is the loco is tiny - that "substantial trough" probably isn't  that big in the flesh. I am hoping to be proven wrong.

Roy