What's the best way to remove ballast?

Hi there,
I've got a layout in the shed which I wasn't happy with so I've made a new layout by creating a plan with SCARM on my PC.

The old layout is 9mm ply with cork stuck on top with evo stik wood glue, I've used this wood glue for my ballasting also. It's great stuff and very strong. However now I'm trying to remove it and nothings working.

All the track has been lifted so I don't have to worry about damaging anything except the baseboard really.

I've tried using a wallpaper scraper, tried water too but that just seems to make a mess.

If anyone has any tips or tricks could they let me know?

Edited by josef2000
Inserted tags

• RMweb Premium

Very hot water is a good starting point as it will melt the glue slowing the track to be removed along with the ballast. Getting all of the ballast off is a pig of a job. 

Edited by Kris
typo
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

OP is saying the track has been removed - the trouble is getting the cork off the plywood.  If the track has come up then, presumably, your wood glue is not the waterproof version.  However, the problem with lifting the cork is that the water will have difficulty getting to the glue in order to soften it.  Assuming I am right about the glue, perhaps try damaging several areas of the cork rather than lifting it at one edge, so as to allow pools of water to sit for a while in contact with bits of the baseboard surface.  You may then be able to remove patches of the cork.  Eventually you should then be able to tackle the remaining bits with the wallpaper scraper and water.

Harold.

1 hour ago, HLT 0109 said:

OP is saying the track has been removed - the trouble is getting the cork off the plywood...

Except that the title refers to removing ballast...

The hot water suggestion is a move in the right direction, a steam cleaner or wallpaper steaming kit will soften this adhesive. BUT! While that would be OK for getting any ballast off the cork,  getting the cork off the plywood is likely to be problematic, as the ply glue will almost certainly start failing if you can get enough steam under the cork. Lots of work to only wreck the ply is not much use.

It would help if the OP could clarify...

Is it possible to take the ply tops off the frame, turn it over and reattach to the frame? Don't bother trying to get most of the cork and/or ballast off, other than where the frame attaches, much less risk of ruining the ply.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Except that the title refers to removing ballast...

The hot water suggestion is a move in the right direction, a steam cleaner or wallpaper steaming kit will soften this adhesive. BUT! While that would be OK for getting any ballast off the cork,  getting the cork off the plywood is likely to be problematic, as the ply glue will almost certainly start failing if you can get enough steam under the cork. Lots of work to only wreck the ply is not much use.

It would help if the OP could clarify...

Is it possible to take the ply tops off the frame, turn it over and reattach to the frame? Don't bother trying to get most of the cork and/or ballast off, other than where the frame attaches, much less risk of ruining the ply.

I would love to flip the ply over however the baseboard is secured with mainy screws and nails in many places and seems I have a bigger risk of damaging it

• Thanks 1

You will have to experiment then with hot water or steam to see what can be removed, try it in an area where any resultant damage can be coped with.

Really you need to learn from this. Think about 'reversibility' of construction when you next build from new. Strength is great, but being able to undo significant parts is often useful.

• RMweb Gold

This isn't going to be what you want to hear, but it sounds to me as if the bonding agent you used to secure the cork to the baseboard top has been too good at it's job and is resisting demolition.  It may be better to scrap and rebuild with new baseboards rather than attempt to recover and re-use the old ones.  The only other suggestion I can come up with is to build a new baseboard surface from plywood and framing to go on top of the original one; this has the advantage of allowing you to use the original legs and boards as a support.  The disadvantage is that it will increase the weight, which is important if the layout is to be portable.

Maybe this is a case of a little overkill, but have you tried a sanding disc on a angle grinder.

I used this method to remove hard glue from wooden doors which i was battling to remove, it took it off the doors in minutes.

It may be worth a go if nothing else works.

Steve.

• RMweb Premium

I've just done something similar - no ballast, but cork stuck onto a ply surface with PVA wood glue.  I used a paint scraper and brute force, and eventually got most of the cork off.  I then used an electric hand detail sander (because I happen to have one) to remove the last stubborn remnants of cork and restore the ply to a smooth finish.  It would have been a lot more difficult if I'd had to sand it by hand.

DT

I've had the same problem in the past, though using ordinary PVA. In the end it was a good scraper and a huge amount of patience.

And just to add, since this episode I have used Depron™ 3mm foam. Much easier to make a nice shoulder for ballast and 1000 times easier to remove if needed.

Edited by JZ