Stretcher bars

Hi all

Sorry if this has been covered before, but I'm looking to fit stretcher bars to built in situ turnouts, EM gauge. The turnouts are constructed from code 75 bullhead using C&L chairs and ply timbering. I'd prefer that they are not too obtrusive and as prototypical as possible (GW). They will be driven by under baseboard servo's.

Thanks

I've made tiebars in two ways.

1st idea from a Club mate.

2nd idea from someone's 'O' Gauge layout.

first is made from 1mm n/s strip. two pieces bent in a U shape. One wider across the gauge than the other. Two of the 'legs' are superglued to one another but separated by a strip of paper for insulation.

The two joined legs are then 'wrapped' with black thread (not cotton).

In the longer side a piece of point control tubing is soldered for the drive arm.

Hope the pic and sketch helps.

TiebarOriginal.jpg

Tiebaroriginal2.jpg

2nd method uses 1mm double sided copper clad strip.

I sits on its edge and the sides of this extend under the stock rails to prevent the blades lifting.

Once again, a piece of tubing to fit the drive pin together with appropriate insulation gaps.

Tiebar1.jpg

Tiebar2.jpg

Tiebar3.jpg

Edited by dasatcopthorne
additional info
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

Another alternative -

IMG_1804r.JPG.2677c2b35a0f01c536613a466942a286.JPG

IMG_1805r.JPG.ed6b439412d3c5a6ae8ecc3889f0aa00.JPG

These are in 7mm scale, although the concept should work in 4mm. All these consist of are a pair of double-sided pcb pads connected by a 0.5mm phosphor bronze wire. the wire is soldered to the underside of the pads when the bar is assembled, and the switch rails soldered to the top face, thereby keeping them insulated from the stetcher bar and each other.

Jim

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On 02/08/2019 at 12:20, jim.snowdon said:

Another alternative -

IMG_1804r.JPG.2677c2b35a0f01c536613a466942a286.JPG

IMG_1805r.JPG.ed6b439412d3c5a6ae8ecc3889f0aa00.JPG

These are in 7mm scale, although the concept should work in 4mm. All these consist of are a pair of double-sided pcb pads connected by a 0.5mm phosphor bronze wire. the wire is soldered to the underside of the pads when the bar is assembled, and the switch rails soldered to the top face, thereby keeping them insulated from the stetcher bar and each other.

Jim

That's a good idea.

Must try that.

Cheers

Dave.

• 5 months later...
On 31/07/2019 at 03:23, dasatcopthorne said:

I've made tiebars in two ways.

1st idea from a Club mate.

2nd idea from someone's 'O' Gauge layout.

first is made from 1mm n/s strip. two pieces bent in a U shape. One wider across the gauge than the other. Two of the 'legs' are superglued to one another but separated by a strip of paper for insulation.

The two joined legs are then 'wrapped' with black thread (not cotton).

In the longer side a piece of point control tubing is soldered for the drive arm.

Hope the pic and sketch helps.

TiebarOriginal.jpg

Tiebaroriginal2.jpg

2nd method uses 1mm double sided copper clad strip.

I sits on its edge and the sides of this extend under the stock rails to prevent the blades lifting.

Once again, a piece of tubing to fit the drive pin together with appropriate insulation gaps.

Tiebar1.jpg

Tiebar2.jpg

Tiebar3.jpg

I am going to embark on making a few (100 odd??!!??) strtcher bars with the 2 strips of metal epoxied together with the paper. I have some Colin Craig ones (now closed for business :( ) that I am going to try and replicate. How did you cut the N/S into such small strips? I am hoping to use brass - never chemical etched in the past and havent attempted cutting the 0.005" sheets with scissors yet to see if that would work. These are purely cosmetic. Will post a pic later of what I am trying to achieve.

On 17/01/2020 at 23:30, Sheffield Midlands said:

I am going to embark on making a few (100 odd??!!??) strtcher bars with the 2 strips of metal epoxied together with the paper. I have some Colin Craig ones (now closed for business :( ) that I am going to try and replicate. How did you cut the N/S into such small strips? I am hoping to use brass - never chemical etched in the past and havent attempted cutting the 0.005" sheets with scissors yet to see if that would work. These are purely cosmetic. Will post a pic later of what I am trying to achieve.

Sorry Only just seen this.

The N/S strip was bought in that size. Probably from Eileens Emporium or similar.

Dave