Rebuilt West Country nameplate brackets

Hi all

In my quest to build a fleet of preserved Bulleid pacifics I have here a Hornby 34036 Westward Ho that I'm planning to renumber into 34046 Braunton. The problem I have is that 34036 doesn't have a crest but 34046 does. Are there replacement/aftermarket nameplate brackets available or am I going to have to resort to scratchbuilding?

TIA

Pete

• RMweb Gold
59 minutes ago, Stormbringer said:

Hi all

In my quest to build a fleet of preserved Bulleid pacifics I have here a Hornby 34036 Westward Ho that I'm planning to renumber into 34046 Braunton. The problem I have is that 34036 doesn't have a crest but 34046 does. Are there replacement/aftermarket nameplate brackets available or am I going to have to resort to scratchbuilding?

TIA

Pete

AFAIK, both main suppliers of Bulleid nameplates, 247 Developments and Fox Transfers, provide suitable backing plates.

I think they come included with 247 on sets with crests where the loco got rebuilt (certainly in my set for Axminster), but are an optional extra from Fox. 

As Braunton only received crests in preservation it will pay to check with either whether the plates come with them automatically or only if you ask.

You do know you'll need a different tender, too?

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Pete,

Braunton has previously run in preservation with borrowed tenders (one of which might match the one you have), but currently runs with a new-build replica of the 5250 gallon BR rebodied one it finished regular service with. 

Hornby haven't done this type, but Hornby Dublo/Wrenn did and spare tender bodies do turn up now and again.

If you aren't into the thrill of the hunt,  there is a resin body available from Golden Arrow Models whilst the necessary small fittings in metal (ladder, steps etc.) are obtainable from RT Models who took over most of the Bulleid range formerly produced by the late Albert Goodall. Your tender chassis will be OK under either, though you will need to find your own way of attaching it.

Welcome to the Pleasure Dome (or the Madhouse, depending on how you look at it).

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with pretty much everything that's been said on this thread.  Braunton had the rebuilt 5250 gallon tender throughout its rebuilt life.  There were 4 of these tenders and 2 of them swapped locos when their original partner was withdrawn.  It didn't have a shield until preservation some 40 odd years after withdrawal.  As a matter of interest it was usually dirty throughout the 60s !  All of this is of course irrelevant if you're modelling it in preservation.  Enjoy Braunton.