Okehampton Activities?

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, Zomboid said:

Couldn't get away from Torbay fast enough, though. Not my idea of fun at all.

Torbay includes a multiplicity of very different environments and facilities. While not everyone is going to relish the relative vulgarity of the seaside at Paignton, Brixham feels very different, and the north-facing cliffs here at Babbacombe, with the volunteer-run funicular railway down to Oddicombe beach, have a rather genteel feel. Meadfoot Beach can feel slightly remote. Local bus services are excellent. A £5 day ticket gives unlimited travel, and the No 12 bus, from Newton Abbot to Brixham, runs every 10 minutes during weekdays. With the steam railway from Paignton to Kingswear, and onward ferry across to Dartmouth, and all sorts of entertainments including National Trust properties in easy reach, and a thriving performing arts scene, amateur and pro, Torbay has much to offer. 

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

There's nothing *wrong* with Torbay, it's just not for me... Perhaps I should have specified Torquay and Paignton, as it's not homogenous any more than anywhere else is. Brixham was ok in a pretty kind of way but I got bored of it after about an hour.

But nonetheless my point was more that "as someone who doesn't really like that kind of thing, I did like Ilfracombe". And if the OP likes the kind of thing Torbay has to offer, they might not agree with me about Ilfracombe.

Edited by Zomboid
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 31/07/2019 at 07:04, Oldddudders said:

Sounds like a country pub! Okehampton has a charm, the Lidl is fine - and Waitrose is next door for the snooty - there are individual shops and cafes, too, and an olde worlde arcade. There is a cafe at the station, as well. Simmons Park bears a walk round.

A nice-enough place for people with working legs. 

Which rules me out.   With a bit more dodgy spelling  you could also take a religious pilgrimage to Allah Junction.

Bekra models at Newton Abbott and Paignton Model Centre at, yes you guessed, Paignton are well worth a visit as they have good stock at sensible prices as is the Model shop at Buckfastleigh on the South Devon Railway if you like paying list price.

Edited by DavidCBroad
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Sadly the Torbay area suffers along with other English seaside resorts; the young and the rich go to exotic locales and the towns do little to enhance their appeal.  For years Torquay with its fancy hotels, relied on its upscale image while Paignton catered to the 'kiss me quick, saucy postcard' crowd who stayed at the many B & Bs in the area and few didn't travel far from the railway stations.  There were the usual amusement arcades, some in the same place after all these years but it was certainly tonier in those days.  In Paignton, people went to Dellers(?) café or their hotel restaurant for lunch then, not McDonalds, although there were a couple of very good fish and chip shops!  Then there was the excitement of the train waiting for the crossing gates to close; good job traffic was lighter than it is now as it took a while to clear even then.

For old times sake, every time we would come back home on holiday, we would go around the old haunts and return always a little sadder.  It is not the place I once knew!:(

Brian.

• Friendly/supportive 2

On 01/08/2019 at 08:20, Oldddudders said:

Torbay includes a multiplicity of very different environments and facilities. While not everyone is going to relish the relative vulgarity of the seaside at Paignton, Brixham feels very different, and the north-facing cliffs here at Babbacombe, with the volunteer-run funicular railway down to Oddicombe beach, have a rather genteel feel. Meadfoot Beach can feel slightly remote. Local bus services are excellent. A £5 day ticket gives unlimited travel, and the No 12 bus, from Newton Abbot to Brixham, runs every 10 minutes during weekdays. With the steam railway from Paignton to Kingswear, and onward ferry across to Dartmouth, and all sorts of entertainments including National Trust properties in easy reach, and a thriving performing arts scene, amateur and pro, Torbay has much to offer. 

Agree about the bus service, the £5 Torbay Day Ranger is excellent value. I stayed in Paignton for a couple of nights last month, using it as a base to visit the Dartmouth Steam and South Devon Railways. The Stagecoach Gold service is a quicker way to get from Paignton to Totnes than the train, and if the weather is suitable the 122 Open Top bus is fun too.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Once again thank you all for your helpful responses. It looks as if it might be worth going to Okehampton for a walk on Dartmoor, but not necessarily to visit the town.

I'm sure that a ride on the Kingswear line will be arranged sometime in the week and we are due to visit my wife's cousin who lives near Lynton: he will meet us at Barnstaple station and I shall strongly lobby for stopping off at the Lynton & Barnstaple at Woody Bay.

Edited by Andy Kirkham
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I was mightily impressed by Meldon Dam when I went on holiday to cornwall a couple years back. There's a convenient car park next to the dam, whilst free back then, might have a small charge now. Definitely worth the trip so long as you pack suitable footwear (and potentially a raincoat!). You can either go for a circular walk around the reservoir, or go down the valley to the quarry area (and viaduct).

BG_meldon1.jpg

BG_meldon2.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, SouthernRegionSteam said:

I was mightily impressed by Meldon Dam when I went on holiday to cornwall a couple years back. 

BG_meldon2.jpg

that second image is outstanding! Thanks for sharing.

Best

Scott

• Thanks 1

We have visited Okehampton a number of times in the last few years and loved it.

In my view walking across the viaduct is not like crossing Pontcysyllte, it is a far wider structure.

In any event it it possible to walk down into the valley of the West Okement which has loads of industrial archaeology,

you can cross the river, or walk up to Meldon Reservoir without crossing the viaduct.

It is possible to walk there from Okehampton station (where the cafe is open all day),

and then descend into the valley and walk to Betty Cottles pub for lunch.

You can also walk from the station eastwards down through Tramway Wood, then up the East Okement to Belstone.  

I also found the Rural museum in Okehampton very interesting.

Edit - the museum is not open on Sundays I believe.

You can also walk down to Okehampton Castle, which I found very interesting,

cheers

Edited by Rivercider
Additional info
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Living in Teignmouth I suggest visiting Teignmouth, having a pint at the Ship Inn on the back beach getting the ferry to Shaldon and back (5 min trip).

At Exeter visit the Exeter Quays.

Newton Abbot visit the Cider Bar, one of only 2 in the country, it is a converted farm and something to see and have a pint in.

• Like 1