Launceston Branch: Rails Across the Moor

Brinkly

I'm rather taken with the PW hut Nick, but I'm not sure whether  to do mine with a corragated roof (I like yours) or  to change it for slates. Do you know if the one at the south end of the up platform at Yelverton had a slate or corragated roof?

Alex

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, wiggoforgold said:

I'm rather taken with the PW hut Nick, but I'm not sure whether  to do mine with a corragated roof (I like yours) or  to change it for slates. Do you know if the one at the south end of the up platform at Yelverton had a slate or corragated roof?

Alex

Give me an hour or two Alex and I'll find out! 

Regards,

Nick.

• RMweb Gold

@wiggoforgold 

Hi Alex,

I've had a quick look through some of my photos. It would appear that it had a corrugated roof.

IMG_0533.JPG.7408bdd936d33dfd537996e9ca3f0ec6.JPG

It is the small hut next to the signal in this photo you mean? :) 

IMG_0534.PNG.80610475662d93ccaad881812ad90b30.PNG

You can just about make it out in this photo. The curve of the roof would suggest corrugated sheet, opposed to slate. It isn't interetesting to note the change of sign in the two pictures: no change for Princetown at this point! The one above was taken in 1955 and this one was taken in the summer of 1962. 

IMG_0535.PNG.ee0a865bf2f1c1f20edc18f285558ebb.PNG

As far as I'm aware, these huts behind the signal box on the Down platform were for railway use and not privately rented. I might be wrong mind. The one in the far distance has a slate roof, the rest I believe are canvas.  The timber one by the buffer stops would be a nice little project. 

Completely unrelated, yet related! Severn Models produce a rather nice set of GWR seats in etched form. They also produce a rather nice Platelayers Hut (kit D2), which is similar, but subtly different, to the Wills kit. I have one built and primed: it is rather nice. 

I will keep looking and see what turns up. I hope this is useful.

Regards,

Nick.

Regards,

Nick.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, Brinkly said:

The lamp huts received a similar treatment.

IMG_2592.jpg.36ee2065829fcb71dea73a087b281b06.jpg

The general dirt on the huts does suggest rusting, so typical of aged corrugated iron structures at this time and yours look very good indeed.

Suggestions:

- try dry brushing a slightly 'newer' rust in places on the top 'curve' of some of the corrugations, especially near the edges of the sheet, near the floor etc.

- how about some glazing in the PW hut, perhaps a broken window?

Very nice work.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, brianusa said:

The train in 1962 has a fair number of trucks for the time, the first six are similar to some I've seen at Lifton.

Brian

They are container vans Brian, for tinned Ambrosia products! Rice pudding and dried milk bring the main outgoing products. The majority of post war freight workings on the branch would have a good number in the consist. 

The conflat wagons seemed to be stored at Coryton and Lydford during busy periods. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

The general dirt on the huts does suggest rusting, so typical of aged corrugated iron structures at this time and yours look very good indeed.

Suggestions:

- try dry brushing a slightly 'newer' rust in places on the top 'curve' of some of the corrugations, especially near the edges of the sheet, near the floor etc.

- how about some glazing in the PW hut, perhaps a broken window?

Very nice work.

Thanks @Captain Kernow! I will have a go at that later on. Would Humbrol 62, be a good shade to represent the new rust? I have some powders to try at some point too.

Cheers. 

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Brinkly said:

Thanks @Captain Kernow! I will have a go at that later on. Would Humbrol 62, be a good shade to represent the new rust? I have some powders to try at some point too 

I think that No. 62 Matt Leather would be a good place to start for rusty highlights, but I'd also add a bit of darker brown and (in just a few places) something a bit more orangy, to represent new rust. Think of areas of the corrugated sheeting where rust might start to form, around bolt hole openings, the edges of the sheet (especially near the ground), where perhaps some damage has occurred.

I'd personally stick to the enamels for the rust effects, although powders to have their place to represent a more general coating of dirt and small rust particles (just used some on a bridge girder, for example).

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Greetings,

Thank you for all your likes and comments: all very encouraging! 

Over the past couple of days, I have weathered the Wills station building. Looking at a couple of colour photographs (fortunately there are quite a few) of various stations on the Launceston branch, most were a little run-down, but not totally decrepit. Indeed, even the former GWR station at Launceston, which hadn't seen a passenger train since the early 1950s, was, rather surprisingly, in a rather good state even as late as 1964.

3410678_f46b07de.jpg.5f80420c2a5e39e1f6fe1c6be2148255.jpg

Launceston in the mid 1960s. 

7427414330_b62a78e064.jpg.733e6621947921b940cc3ce2f8d9c17a.jpg

Horrabridge in December 1962: sporting what appears to be a hybrid GWR/BR Western Region paint scheme. The station box had been repainted into BR Western Region colours at some point in the late 1950s; however, the station building seemed to be in GWR style colours. Was this typical? 

IMG_2614.jpg.38dd904e6fc5a702a2c8b0d20bd21f48.jpg

I ordered a set of Notices and Posters from Sankey Scenics. The posters are lovely. 

IMG_2616.jpg.ee54419d01dbfdc56cd285199c2a54af.jpg

The station building has been painted in Humbrol No 71, which I really like as a match for BR Western Region Cream. The doors and facia boards received a coat of Humbrol 160 and the roof was painted using precision slate grey, with individual slates picked out in different Humbrol and Revel grey shades. Dry brushing then too place, with a mixture of browns and grey shades on the woodwork, with dark grey and precision dirty black on the roof. Glazing will be completed soon @Captain Kernow

IMG_2621.jpg.5f5b0f66c5a6ee3f43c8570342d3069a.jpg

I need to add some 'private' signs on the door. I picked up a Blacksmiths GWR station board etch at Wells last weekend, but haven't got round to painting it yet. 

IMG_2618.jpg.f2d641a6d8df988de0b9e7c8aab13c50.jpg

Please forgive the chimney pot! I've only just spotted how 'off' it is! It is a cast replacement, which seemed to shift during the gluing stage. It will be fixed!

IMG_2619.jpg.6d77a4ad7e2a24e01d8b39c93aebe927.jpg

The brick work was painted in Humbrol No 70, with some bricks picked out in darker shades. Dry brushing then took place. 

IMG_2620.jpg.705d22f8e218bbeb9fccdff1e7698db5.jpg

Overall, I'm quite pleased with it. As I said in a previous post, I haven't weathered anything before. This was a real learning curve!

Anyway, I'm off to complete a few models for @Re6/6 and @10800 Balcombe empire! Scaleforum isn't far away! 

Any comments most welcome as always.

Regards,

Nick

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

• RMweb Gold

Station building is looking good, the weathering is looking convincing. 

13 minutes ago, Brinkly said:

Horrabridge in December 1962: sporting what appears to be a hybrid GWR/BR Western Region paint scheme. The station box had been repainted into BR Western Region colours at some point in the late 1950s; however, the station building seemed to be in GWR style colours. Was this typical? 

I have a feeling that I have mentioned it before to you, but there are a series of very good 1950/60s photos of Yelverton station in colour on Malcolm Mitchell's Facebook

page, showing the station buildings still in very worn GWR light and dark stone.  So based upon that photo of Horrabridge I think it must have been fairly common for the branch.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, The Fatadder said:

Station building is looking good, the weathering is looking convincing. 

I have a feeling that I have mentioned it before to you, but there are a series of very good 1950/60s photos of Yelverton station in colour on Malcolm Mitchell's Facebook

page, showing the station buildings still in very worn GWR light and dark stone.  So based upon that photo of Horrabridge I think it must have been fairly common for the branch.

Hi Rich,

Yes! I do remember that. Thanks for the reminder.

Cheers,

Nick

20 hours ago, Brinkly said:

They are container vans Brian, for tinned Ambrosia products! Rice pudding and dried milk bring the main outgoing products. The majority of post war freight workings on the branch would have a good number in the consist. 

The conflat wagons seemed to be stored at Coryton and Lydford during busy periods. 

Thanks for the info, Nick.  You can get imported Ambrosia products in grocery stores over here.

Like the huts, adds interest.

Brian.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 16/08/2019 at 12:06, Brinkly said:

I've not been on for some while and have only just picked up on your thread. The slide above does not show much of the building and was a sod to get a decent print from. The slide before on the film shows more of the building and box. If its any good I can post it up as I was lucky enough to buy the full set of slides for this film?. Sadly most on it are dark being in December. I have got some other original colour slides in my collection as well of this line (if of any interest)

best wishes

Duncan

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Blandford1969 said:

I've not been on for some while and have only just picked up on your thread. The slide above does not show much of the building and was a sod to get a decent print from. The slide before on the film shows more of the building and box. If its any good I can post it up as I was lucky enough to buy the full set of slides for this film?. Sadly most on it are dark being in December. I have got some other original colour slides in my collection as well of this line (if of any interest)

best wishes

Duncan

Hi Duncan,

I would be bery interested in any footage footage or photographs of the Launceston branch, but in particular Horrabridge. Everything is useful! 

The front of the station and the rear (forecourt side) are difficult to come by, so any assistance would be most helpful.

best wishes,

Nick

• RMweb Gold
On 16/08/2019 at 12:06, Brinkly said:

Do you have other colour photos showing the station building in light and dark stone at that time?

I can see where you're coming from, if referring just to that one photo, but equally, you could interpret that cream as a W.R. cream, even if the barge boards weren't painted chocolate (perhaps they didn't have enough chocolate paint on the day, it could happen).

The colours of the wooden fence on the platform do admittedly look a bit 'GWR', though.

Either way, the colours on your station building for Whitchurch Down Halt and the weathering are spot on for the period, in my view.

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, The Fatadder said:

@Captain Kernow  Here is a link to the photos of Yelverton https://m.facebook.com/pg/Malcolm-Mitchells-A-Shop-429787867073126/photos/?ref=page_internal&mt_nav=0 

you shouldnt need an account to access, click on photos and “timeline photos” then a scroll down. 

Rich, not sure what this refers to.