Launceston Branch: Rails Across the Moor

Brinkly

• RMweb Gold

Pip Pip, Brinkers!!

images-1.jpeg

This has all the hall marks of turning into a nice little build. 

How would you deal with the issue of loaded and empty wagons ? It's something that I would struggle with and would probably chicken out and opt to model just the exchange sidings.

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, Brinkly said:

Small occupation bridge between Swell Tor Sidings and Ingra Tor Halt. 

Lovely location Brinkers, but, be mindful the loco and stock don't get a flat tyre !

Ironically its the only place I rode over many, many years of off roading where I suffered my one and only puncture ..... ever !!!

• Friendly/supportive 3

4 hours ago, Brinkly said:

Thanks for all your comments and @Blandford1969 for the beautiful photographs. 

I've spent quite a lot of time over the last couple of days and have a few possible ideas. One idea is to adapt Coryton or Dousland (both had very similar track plans); however, I suspect these could become quite long as a fiddle yard would be required at either end, resulting in a scenic layout being 12-14 feet long. 

Another possible idea I've had would be to model a slice the proposed (but never built) Merrivale branch, which would have run from Swell Tor on the Princetown branch to Merrivale quarry. The track plan could be similar to Lower Rose Goods, which is simple, but interesting. 

This branch never got beyond the drawing board, but would be believable and relatively easy to model as traffic would have been relatively light - freight only. Any structures would be based on prototypical examples on the branch, with a general air of demise hanging like grey mist over the whole scheme. The elderly 4410 slowly wheezing her way down the sharply curved line, a short string of 4-wheeler wagons and an AA15 ex GWR toad in tow... 

IMG_5828.jpg.b092387e5445e47c7848cca94e2424f9.jpg

The remnants of Swell Tor Quary taken over the weekend. 

IMG_5856.jpg.d8c5cf7b3b583f2be55b3298a8eb8c83.jpg

Small occupation bridge between Swell Tor Sidings and Ingra Tor Halt. 

I need to do some sketching! 

Good one, Nick.  One of my side interests is moorland industry but all I know of the quarry business is from various books on the railway.  Not a lot but of interest.  I have done basic research on the quarry sidings off the Princetown branch but more so on the Devon Great Consols mine and its railway, the other side of the Tamar.  Even more interesting are the quarries and mines on Bodmin moor and the Looe and Caradon railway which I traipsed around in my youth.

Brian.:smile_mini2:

• Like 1

One of these is pretty much essential for any Princetown based model.  This is 4405 built to EM gauge from a Mitchell kit.  Actually 4405 was a Newton Abbot engine and regularly worked the Ashburton Goods.  I like to think of her leaving NA and going over Dainton to Totnes, then reversing and trundling off up the branch to Ashburton with a few wagons.  The Princetown branch was a Laira turn of course.

Gerry

20200730_203247 (2).jpg

Edited by Bulwell Hall
  • Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold

Hello Gerry,

Thank you for sharing your lovely model; real aspiration there! I do have a large stash of Mitchell 2-6-2 kits, which includes a 44xx. At the moment, I am debating building my 44xx in the same GWR livery as yours and having a mid 1930s time frame. Being pragmatic, it would make most sense to set it in the early 1950s and model 4410 in black with early BR crest, but I do like the old GWR shirt button logo. 44xx and an elderly pannier tank would be more than sufficient motive power wise... 

Think cap still on! 

Kind regards,

Nick.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 07/08/2020 at 17:44, NHY 581 said:

How would you deal with the issue of loaded and empty wagons ? It's something that I would struggle with and would probably chicken out and opt to model just the exchange sidings.

Hello old boy,

I suspect with removable loads, mounted on 'fake' floors. I need to do a bit of research as to what stone traffic Merrivale produced; I suspect a lot of it would have been dressed stone. I also need to think about which wagons, bar RCH 5 plank, would have been potentially used there in the 1950s. I don't know if Medfits would have been used? 

Cheers,

Nick.

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 08/08/2020 at 11:59, Brinkly said:

Hello Gerry,

Thank you for sharing your lovely model; real aspiration there! I do have a large stash of Mitchell 2-6-2 kits, which includes a 44xx. At the moment, I am debating building my 44xx in the same GWR livery as yours and having a mid 1930s time frame. Being pragmatic, it would make most sense to set it in the early 1950s and model 4410 in black with early BR crest, but I do like the old GWR shirt button logo. 44xx and an elderly pannier tank would be more than sufficient motive power wise... 

Think cap still on! 

Kind regards,

Nick.

Hi Nick

Thanks for your comments.  I didn't build 4405 but was lucky enough to acquire her at the EMGS Skills Day at Didcot back in March - seems like another age now!  There was a sale of models from a deceased modellers estate and I was lucky enough to pick her up for a song.  She needed a repaint though so I stripped the old paint, replaced some of the fittings with better fittings and repainted her.  I've no idea if she actually carried the 'shirt button' as the few photos I could find showed no insignia at all on her tanks - other 44xx did carry it though.  4410 with her small bunker would make a lovely model - in BR or GWR livery - and she was one of the last to run on the Princetown branch.

As for elderly pannier tanks - this is 2786 as running in 1947 just before she was withdrawn from service.  Built to EM gauge from a Finney kit she still has a few more things to be added - fireirons, rolled storm sheet and further weathering. I do love these old GWR tank engines and they make such characterful models.

Gerry

P.S.  The water column has a lean because it is not properly fixed in place yet!

20200501_144403 (3).jpg

Edited by Bulwell Hall
  • Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold

Over the weekend, I think my modelling mojo seemed to make a slight appearance. I spent quite a lot of time on Saturday researching the structures on the Launceston branch and ordered a few building kits to work on.

One building is a rather nice laser cut weighbridge from Rail Models. It (along with a Coopercraft plat layer's hut obtained from eBay) arrived this morning. I'm not entirely sure what the requirements were for a weighbridge at a station, but it is a rather nice structure and for the cost of a couple of pints, thought it was worth a punt. 

I wasn't totally sure about the door. It looked like a door, but I wanted the structure to look a little bit more GWRish. For quite a while, I've had one of the Churchward Models signal box doors and windows etches (now sold by Precision Paints) in one of my maturing boxes, so dug that out and selected a suitable example. The kit has laser cut windows, which are nicely, but a tad thick; I'm tempted to see if I can get an etch made. Does anyone have any recommendations or skills in this field? :smile_mini2: I've never learnt how to use a CAD program. Perhaps I should!

IMG_6059.jpg.b453761ebe6682e9ff54e5dde65205de.jpg

So working outside at the garden table, I started work on the weighbridge building. Unfortunately, a couple of parts were missing; however, Andy was very quick with his response and the missing parts are on their way. As I couldn't progress much further - I primed a couple of parts and started painting the interior before gluing it in place - I opted to built the Coopercraft kit. I wasn't impressed with the molded base, so cut that off. 

It will receive some Modelu guttering, as will the GWR weighbridge, once it arrives. 

Regards,

Nick.

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold
Just now, gwrrob said:

Thanks for the heads up on Rail Models Nick. I like the option of the parts from kits being available separately. Not all concerns offer this service.

I can't fault their turn around time. I only ordered it on Sunday and it arrived this morning. 

One interior part was slightly too big, hence the cut piece (part that goes over the door). 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Nick, good to hear the mojo is back.

Very interested to see you building the Rail Model weighbridge, as I'm working on the same one at the moment.  I had the same feeling about the door, although the drawing of the prototype (it's based on Leckhampton, let me know if you want the drawing) does show it to be correct in the kit.

Is that light blue distemper I see on the upper walls? That would fit the description in the 1904 Railway Magazine, very nice.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, Brinkly said:

The kit has laser cut windows, which are nicely, but a tad thick; I'm tempted to see if I can get an etch made. Does anyone have any recommendations or skills in this field? 

PS: @Collett mentioned he was working on some etches for GWR weighbridge windows for his own build. Question is though whether they will necessarily fit this kit. Although the shape was the same, I suspect sizes differed as no two weighbridges seem to have been quite the same when you look closely.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Mikkel said:

Hi Nick, good to hear the mojo is back.

Very interested to see you building the Rail Model weighbridge, as I'm working on the same one at the moment.  I had the same feeling about the door, although the drawing of the prototype (it's based on Leckhampton, let me know if you want the drawing) does show it to be correct in the kit.

Is that light blue distemper I see on the upper walls? That would fit the description in the 1904 Railway Magazine, very nice.

Hello Mikkel,

I thought you were! I saw it the other day, but didn't put two and two together! 

A copy of the drawing would be excellent, if you don't mind. The door is lovely and will go in the spares box, but I felt a 'GWR' door would give it a little more character. I also thought having glass top panels would help let a little more light in. I plan to fit a couple of desks and chairs in there from Seven Models to add a little more detail. 

Paint wise, the bottom is Precision Stone number 2 (light colour) and the top was SR cream over grey primer. I didn't realise the insides were blue. How interesting, I feel a repaint coming on! Do you know how long distemper blue lasted for and do you know what the bottom panels would have been painted?

Kind regards,

Nick.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi Nick 

Glad to hear the mojo is returning I had the same issue and turned to a number of simple wagon kits to get started again and it worked. 
It does the world of good to get a few quick wins completed. 

Muz 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, Brinkly said:

I didn't realise the insides were blue

A few years ago (and it may well be the same now, for all I know), the interior of the station building at Williton, as restored by the WSRA, was painted a dark blue-green on the upper parts of the walls and a dark chocolate brown on the lower walls. This was meant to represent GWR colours (the exterior was light and dark stone).

I would imagine that further information could be found here - https://hmrs.org.uk/livery-register-no-2-the-great-western-railway.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

A few years ago (and it may well be the same now, for all I know), the interior of the station building at Williton, as restored by the WSRA, was painted a dark blue-green on the upper parts of the walls and a dark chocolate brown on the lower walls. This was meant to represent GWR colours (the exterior was light and dark stone).

I would imagine that further information could be found here - https://hmrs.org.uk/livery-register-no-2-the-great-western-railway.html

Thanks Tim. I think a might repaint the top to a light blue and dark brown for the lower woodwork in light of yours and Mikkel's advice. 

Best wishes,

Nick.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Brinkly said:

Lovely photo, thank you for sharing it. 

I believe the location is Plymbridge Halt. 

RG017.jpg.c005f3f927d5de5fa955f0bc9fe71adc.jpg

Lovely comparison with this pre-WW1 image: I do like GWR steam railmotors. 

Thanks for that, I will dig out a few more of there now I know where it is when time allows. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Brinkly said:

Paint wise, the bottom is Precision Stone number 2 (light colour) and the top was SR cream over grey primer. I didn't realise the insides were blue. How interesting, I feel a repaint coming on! Do you know how long distemper blue lasted for and do you know what the bottom panels would have been painted?

Hang on, I had forgotten what period you model? 

My argument for blue is based on two things. Firstly, an article by J.B.B. Collins in Railway Magazine October 1904 says: "The Great Western Railway is very fond of light blue for the interior walls of stations, though lately it has improved on this by light green." As mentioned on gwr.org.uk, I have sometimes found livery observations in the Railway Magazine a bit dubious, but in this case the author does seem to have a certain knowledge of livery issues.

The other source is https://www.stationcolours.com/gwr, which says: "Interior walls of brick or stone buildings were plastered and painted with distemper, which was supplied in white, cream, brown, Ivy Green, Dark Green and Cambridge blue." Not sure what the source is.

In my case I'm modelling the early 1900s so thought I'd go for the blue distemper above the panels, even if I don't know if a simple weighbridge office would merit it. In your case I'm less certain as I don't know how long the blue lasted. The pale cream may be a safer bet!

Edit: Not sure about the panels. Yours look good. Dark chocolate was sometimes used for lower areas, but would look horribly with light blue!

Edited by Mikkel
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Blandford1969 said:

Thanks for that, I will dig out a few more of there now I know where it is when time allows. 

Thank you. Any photographs of the branch (including Princetown) are greatly received! 

Kind regards,

Nick.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Mikkel said:

Hang on, I had forgotten what period you model? 

My argument for blue is based on two things. Firstly, an article by J.B.B. Collins in Railway Magazine October 1904 says: "The Great Western Railway is very fond of light blue for the interior walls of stations, though lately it has improved on this by light green." As mentioned on gwr.org.uk, I have sometimes found livery observations in the Railway Magazine a bit dubious, but in this case the author does seem to have a certain knowledge of livery issues.

The other source is https://www.stationcolours.com/gwr, which says: "Interior walls of brick or stone buildings were plastered and painted with distemper, which was supplied in white, cream, brown, Ivy Green, Dark Green and Cambridge blue." Not sure what the source is.

In my case I'm modelling the early 1900s so thought I'd go for the blue distemper above the panels, even if I don't know if a simple weighbridge office would merit it. In your case I'm less certain as I don't know how long the blue lasted. The pale cream may be a safer bet!

Mid 1950s is my era, with worn GWR exterior colours. 

55480120_2389756774409549_5349957559073636352_o.jpg.24e8dddccb746b10889235d0582c5d35.jpg

Horrabridge didn't ever get become as shabby as Yelverton, but I think I'd like to replicate this look with the timber structures on Merrivale.  

Thanks again, Mikkel. 

Regards,

Nick.

• Like 13

10 hours ago, Brinkly said:

Lovely photo, thank you for sharing it. 

I believe the location is Plymbridge Halt. 

RG017.jpg.c005f3f927d5de5fa955f0bc9fe71adc.jpg

Lovely comparison with this pre-WW1 image: I do like GWR steam railmotors. 

I think it must be. If you look closely you can see the parapets of the bridges just beyond the station.

Alex

10 hours ago, Brinkly said:

Mid 1950s is my era, with worn GWR exterior colours. 

55480120_2389756774409549_5349957559073636352_o.jpg.24e8dddccb746b10889235d0582c5d35.jpg

Horrabridge didn't ever get become as shabby as Yelverton, but I think I'd like to replicate this look with the timber structures on Merrivale.  

Thanks again, Mikkel. 

Regards,

Nick.

I think the reason for the particularly heavy weathering on the southern part of the building is that because of the location of the building the southern end was open to  the English Channel and the south-westerly prevailing wind, which presumably contained a lot of salt and effectively sand blasted a building which hadn't had a repaint since GWR days.

Alex

• Like 2