Launceston Branch: Rails Across the Moor

Brinkly

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Brinkly said:

Between January and 8th March, school was mad - mixture of spinning the usual in-house plates, then chuck in 4-hours of proper learning for the children at home and any 'spare' time I had evaporated! Still, hopefully that is now over and done with. It made the difference to a lot of our children, so it was worth it. 

Can't think of a more worthy way to spend your time. On behalf of the future, thanks Nick!

And good luck with the op and recovery, I hear a wagon kit is good against gallbladder trouble :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Very nice, NIck, but how did you manage to get the paint brush to the individual planks on the veranda floor?

Thanks, Tim. 

The Bachmann bodies had loose floors, so mine (literally) dropped out. I then used a decent Windsor Newton Series 7 Kolinsky Sable Brush to paint each plank individually. 

I've completed a couple of open wagons using Humbrol enamels and Martin Welsh's technique - which I will share soon - using the same technique. 

All the best,

Nick.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

Nice to see you back Nick. I understand from my wife, who had gallstones, that the pain of passing one is akin to childbirth, so the upside of your experience is an additional insight into the female psyche.

Your post on the Toads comes at an apposite moment, as I have just been given a Bachmann one. Where did you get the "RU4" transfers?

The branch offers a few modelling possibilities. Shaugh Bridge and Clearbrook would be fun scenically, but don't offer much in the way orf operation. Tavistock South or Marsh Mills might be done using the "bitsa" stations approach, with the front of the train shed at Tavistock South ant the overbridge at Marsh Mills being scenic breaks.

Alex

Edited by wiggoforgold
Spellchecker wanted to change "Shaugh" to "Shanghai". It clearly hasn't been there.
  • Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 16/04/2021 at 14:31, wiggoforgold said:

Nice to see you back Nick. I understand from my wife, who had gallstones, that the pain of passing one is akin to childbirth, so the upside of your experience is an additional insight into the female psyche.

Your post on the Toads comes at an apposite moment, as I have just been given a Bachmann one. Where did you get the "RU4" transfers?

The branch offers a few modelling possibilities. Shaugh Bridge and Clearbrook would be fun scenically, but don't offer much in the way orf operation. Tavistock South or Marsh Mills might be done using the "bitsa" stations approach, with the front of the train shed at Tavistock South ant the overbridge at Marsh Mills being scenic breaks.

Alex

Hi Alex,

I'm sorry for the delay in replying. The RU4 was a factory finished marking. A few years ago, Bachmann produced a Tavistock Junction RU van (Bachmann 33-301D). They still come up for sale every so often on eBay. I got mine from Antics in Plymouth in 2007(ish) along with a BR pannier and small prairie tank when I came back into modelling again after a good 7-8 year absence. 

All the best,

Nick.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hello everyone,

Thank you for your comments - apologies for not replying sooner. I'm still learning what I can/can't eat currently and have one or two good days, followed by several not so good ones.

Anyway, making the most of the better days, I've been slowly plodding through the outstanding project box. The toads are pretty much done now - just patch-painting and weathering to do. I decided to crack on with a couple of partly detailed milk tankers. These were started and put in a box. I had completely forgotten about them until the weekend. I haven't done a step-by-step guided, but I thought I would share my work. 

These are based on earlier GWR diagrams, which were re-worked by BR during the 1950s. They are loosely based on O38 and O42 tankers and I accept they are not perfect! I have a couple more to do, which will be reworked into GWR, LMS and SR examples. 

Justin's detailing kits and instructions have been a godsend. 

IMG_8973.jpg.892bac9daf0f102573244fd4dfdf6565.jpg

The tanker on the left (based on an O38) still needs a few tweaks to the underframe. The one on the right, O42, is almost complete - just the strapping to adjust in places. 

I will put a more detailed description up on my workbench thread if anyone is interested. 

I've also been thinking about a small layout, drawing ideas from Mary Tavy and Coryton. Nothing very much yet, but some ideas are starting to come together. 

Take care everyone. 

All the best,

Nick.

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Siberian Snooper said:

Would a Tavistock Junction  brake van be used on the branch, as it's the wrong side of the actual junction? I would have thought that Laira or Plymouth would be more likely.

I don't know - rule number one for me! :D 

All the best,

Nick.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 9 months later...

I've been enjoying your thread for a while and sympathise with your decision to leave teaching. I did the same back in 1973 (yes, really!!!) and never regretted it. The job was not a bed of roses even then, but successive governments have made it even tougher. All the public services have been cut (education, NHS, defence, the legal system etc etc),  yet Westminster demands more and more from the staff with fewer and fewer resources. The system stinks and ....... - I could rant on and on, but modelling has usually kept me sane. Now that you've escaped, I'd get on with that!

Best wishes

David C

• Friendly/supportive 11

Good luck with the new career Nick!

Having family in teaching, I know what you have been going through, and what the last few years have been.

I retire from the plod today ( again) after 35 years, I just can’t stand the environment now and what it has become.

Best wishes and looking forward to the Launceston layout!

• Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Gold

I am sorry to see a really nice bloke come out of teaching, but have little doubt it is the right decision. Sherry was a teacher - she qualified in 1971, initially for secondary, but later re-trained to do primary. She watched as the job changed enormously, and school heads increasingly became business managers, rather than inspirational leaders. Nice, cheap NQTs are much cheaper than old stagers! That said, our last visit to our alma mater in 2016 - 50 years after I left - was indeed inspiring, because the head, a Salvationist, was exactly what we would wish for this grammar-turned-comprehensive. 

Sherry's daughter, by contrast, is thriving in the calling. Early 40s, a DH for the last 15 years, and certainly in the running for the top job when Phil goes - she almost got it last time until he made himself available - she is much admired by the academy of which her two-form-entry school is now part. So she has attended courses on this and that ready for the next level, but is also now an OFSTED inspector. At the previously-failing school she inspected last week, the head thanked her for her attitude and assistance, and obviously meant it.

And Neil is leaving plod. On a day when the meejah is abuzz about Ms Dick and her apparent shortcomings. I am bound to say that her background, as apparently an ace sleuth, solving serious crimes, is hardly the perfect CV for policing a major city, where most of the plod are uniformed. Being Hemlock Soames, Bergercrap and Moose all rolled into one does not, it seems, lead to much wisdom about sensitive issues like the vigil in the wake of Sarah Everard's murder. Boris threw her a lifeline then, and she has repaid the compliment by insisting at the last moment that, after all, plod should see what parties look like in Downing St, thus watering down the impact of Sue Gray. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
On 10/02/2022 at 10:02, Brinkly said:

I made the decision to leave teaching

That’s shame, but a perfectly sane and rational decision.

So, will the new job give you more time to spend on modelling?

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, BlackRat said:

Good luck with the new career Nick!

Having family in teaching, I know what you have been going through, and what the last few years have been.

I retire from the plod today ( again) after 35 years, I just can’t stand the environment now and what it has become.

Best wishes and looking forward to the Launceston layout!

Monsewer, I take it that you won't be applying for the vacancy in Lundun?

• Funny 2