Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • RMweb Gold

Thanks Phil,

 

I like Tim's Whitchurch; although, geographically it is about 120 miles away from mine! Difference county!

 

Regards,

 

Nick.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • RMweb Gold

For the re-aligned track plan, I required a second right hand bullhead point. A quick trip to SDR (South Devon Railway) was undertaken and a point and two kits obtained. 

 

IMG_2097.jpg.4bd9f103edc144cbac62feb36fb60f1d.jpg

 

The Wills signal box kit will be used to house the ground frame and the lamp hut was reduced to a couple of pounds: it would have been rude not to buy it! 

 

I have spent the last couple of hours cutting and sticking the cork down, photos to follow. 

 

Thanks for the interest.

 

Regards,

 

Nick

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Harlequin said:

 

If it's a real siding then how would it be operated? Because there's no run round, each siding could only be shunted by trains heading in each different direction. So one's an Up siding, the other a Down siding and to get anything in or out of the headshunt siding the other siding would have to be half empty. (I think that's right...) Would operation then be interesting or annoying?

 

Definitely, definitely more interesting.

 

So here's an example:

 

- Wagons are in 'headshunt' part of the siding and other wagons are in 'conventional' part of siding, behind the station platform.

- Goods train approaching, requiring to pick up and set down wagons from the 'headshunt' part of the siding (approaching from the fiddle yard at the same end of the layout)

- Train stops on running line, loco detaches and guard screws down brakes, then hastens to undertake the shunting

- Loco has to first attach to the wagons in the 'conventional' siding and remove them to the running line (at the other end of the station). The guard has to screw brakes down on this portion and return to shunt the 'headshunt' siding.

- The wagons from the 'conventional' siding are protected on the running line, because the loco crew (of course) have the single line One Train Working Staff, on which the keys to the Ground Frame are attached, so any wagons can be safely left on the running line (brakes and gradients permitting, of course)

- Shunting in the 'headshunt' siding is complete and the goods train is reformed. The loco (probably now attached to it's train) will re-attach to the wagons left on the running line and shunt them back into the 'conventional' siding

- The guard then normalises the ground frame, locks it up and returns the One Train Working Staff to the loco crew, returns to his van and gives 'Right Away'

 

Now, all of that would be rather tedious to the actual staff, but much more interesting and fun for:

 

- the layout operator

- exhibition viewers

- anyone taking a photo for a future magazine article

- The Arts Council

 

What's not to like?

 

  • Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Thinking about this, you wouldn't have to get a contemporary photo of the actual cottages, in order to impart a good flavour of the real place. The cottages are probably modernised almost beyond recognition now, anyway, so perhaps a more generic type could be used on the backscene, or even in part relief. I have some ideas if you are interested!

 

These Scalescenes terraced cottages are very good - https://scalescenes.com/product/t022a-terraced-houses/

 

You could couple the above kit with the alternative rendered cottage finishes - https://scalescenes.com/product/t022a-terraced-houses/

https://scalescenes.com/product/t022b-additional-wall-finishes-t022a-terraced-houses/

 

I think that could provide something of the atmosphere of the cottages behind the station rather well.

 

If you had the cottages at a slight angle, you could vary the depth of the part-relief (which is something I have done on Callow Lane).

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • RMweb Gold

The cork on the right hand board was cut and stuck down this morning. I left it for several hours, with several heavy railway books plonked on top. 

 

While that was happpening, I took the opportunity to build a trio of kits. 

F727D621-B122-445D-A190-3CBC5AF9C3EF.jpg.6dc53d5268597df41ecd4318e67e28d0.jpg

Two lamp huts: Wills kits. I removed the chimney on both and the side awning on one.

 

IMG_2112.jpg.afedb5729324cbe9303e092022f5a701.jpg

Another Wills kit: ground frame hut. I'm not sure if I'll use this or not. I don't want to clutter the scene. 

 

IMG_2114.jpg.abffbcc6772d1938c77632beb26912ce.jpg

IMG_2115.jpg.77be14bae3294ab18dbc20ee12defcc2.jpg

Last kit, the Wills country station kit. This is similar to the structure at Horrabridge, so I think I can get away with it.

 

All of the buildings will be primed and painted in due course, most likely into BR Western Region chocolate and cream.

 

Regards,

 

Nick.

 

 

  • Like 12
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • RMweb Gold

Thanks again for all the comments and 'likes' everyone.

 

Following on from Phil's comment, I re-jigged the entrance to the siding. Essentially, it's based on Starverton's track plan, which I prefer, it seems to make the layout appear longer. 

 

The track isn't fixed currently. I still need to fettle the lengths, but I think it is starting to come together.

 

IMG_2116.jpg.f89c8bc02a2b476353b07d105d49edf3.jpg

Looking towards Plymouth.

 

IMG_2118.jpg.d62b11d809c4a0181d08e65e88648540.jpg

Looking towards Tavistock. 

IMG_2117.jpg.e2e903bd1f5e1504d5ed66f143d16f3e.jpg

Quite a nice flow I think. 

 

Regards,

 

Nick.

 

 

 

  • Like 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, wiggoforgold said:

Tavistock South has possibilities.. Where might I go from Yelverton? Tavistock South, Shaugh Bridge and Princetown all come to mind.. and the other day I saw a picture of Clearbrook...

Alex

 

 

Tavistock has a lot going for it, if I were into 00, it would certainly rank highly.  Overall roof, three track station, goods yard, even a turntable plus the usual facilities.:)  As a matter of interest, what size was the T/T, presumably for the 4-4-0s that plied the line early on.

      Brian.

Edited by brianusa
add
  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I like this a lot!

It is very similar to a plan I have mulled over for a long time* and never got around to doing anything with yet.

I added an extra siding though, to act as either as one end of a loop or a refuge siding to add to the operational potential.

 

Incidentally my plan to shunt the opposing sidings was to do one as the goods train went Down to the terminus, and the other on the way back Up. NO complicated shunting for the train crew there, just draw forward with the wagon(s) and then set-back into the correct siding.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Brinkly said:

 

ground frame hut. I'm not sure if I'll use this or not. I don't want to clutter the scene. 

 

I think it's highly likely that a ground frame at a location like this would simply be levers in the open air, locked by an Annetts Key on the One Train Working Staff or released by the electric token.

 

  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • RMweb Gold

Two suggestions:

It might be better to have the points off the running line more central so that a loco and one or two wagons remain on scene when preparing to set back into the siding.

If you flexed the running line near the centre of the layout then the curves would naturally send the siding diverging away from the running line and the whole plan would have a natural arc to it.

 

Something like this:

136224016_Brinkly1.png.72470a56e6fa267175bd7265916f6f68.png

  • Like 7
  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Captain Kernow said:

I think it's highly likely that a ground frame at a location like this would simply be levers in the open air, locked by an Annetts Key on the One Train Working Staff or released by the electric token.

 

 

 

Any particular Annette? ...........and how  will we know if her key will fit? 

  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

I think it's highly likely that a ground frame at a location like this would simply be levers in the open air, locked by an Annetts Key on the One Train Working Staff or released by the electric token.

 

 

Totally agree with you there for reality - But sometimes, on a model. a little shed may be "prettier" or serve some scenic trick, like breaking up a scene or taking the viewers eye from something else.

A working Annetts Key in 4mm scale would be some achievement, though I have often wondered if something similar using a real key and lock would add an amount of operational interest to such small layouts.

Maybe something like a small frame in a box that had to be unlocked to operate?

  • Informative/Useful 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, islander said:

 

 

Henstridge is a great location with its eclectic mix of buildings but would need a good length of baseboard to convince. Don't forget it was on a line which featured double - headed passenger workings. 

 

I have two S&DJR stations I would like to do. 

 

A variation on Midford whereby the station is moved back before Long Arch Bridge to the area of the goods yard. 

 

And Edington Burtle on the branch. 

 

The key is making sure it works for you. Combpyne provided the inspiration behind Mutton for me. However Combpyne track layout by the time I was looking to model was too basic for me, hence the adding of a loop.

 

 

Rob. 

  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • RMweb Gold

Sorry, I'm not trying to push my idea at you but if you're interested, I managed to improve it a bit:

 

504338647_Brinkly3.png.b02eca3ca2ead924be74b212653b3889.png

 

Moving the point in the running line 30mm to the right allows things to open up: the siding is more curvy, more flowing and the platform is longer and squarer.

 

  • Like 5
  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, brianusa said:

 

Tavistock has a lot going for it, if I were into 00, it would certainly rank highly.  Overall roof, three track station, goods yard, even a turntable plus the usual facilities.:)  As a matter of interest, what size was the T/T, presumably for the 4-4-0s that plied the line early on.

      Brian.

 

It's one of those stations, due to the overall roof, that one could just model part of, with the roof being the scenic break at one end.

 

I will look up the turntable size later.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

 

 

Henstridge is a great location with its eclectic mix of buildings but would need a good length of baseboard to convince. Don't forget it was on a line which featured double - headed passenger workings. 

 

 

 

But on a model you could just run the short trains and not bother with the long ones.

  • Agree 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Definitely, definitely more interesting.

 

So here's an example:

 

- Wagons are in 'headshunt' part of the siding and other wagons are in 'conventional' part of siding, behind the station platform.

- Goods train approaching, requiring to pick up and set down wagons from the 'headshunt' part of the siding (approaching from the fiddle yard at the same end of the layout)

- Train stops on running line, loco detaches and guard screws down brakes, then hastens to undertake the shunting

- Loco has to first attach to the wagons in the 'conventional' siding and remove them to the running line (at the other end of the station). The guard has to screw brakes down on this portion and return to shunt the 'headshunt' siding.

- The wagons from the 'conventional' siding are protected on the running line, because the loco crew (of course) have the single line One Train Working Staff, on which the keys to the Ground Frame are attached, so any wagons can be safely left on the running line (brakes and gradients permitting, of course)

- Shunting in the 'headshunt' siding is complete and the goods train is reformed. The loco (probably now attached to it's train) will re-attach to the wagons left on the running line and shunt them back into the 'conventional' siding

- The guard then normalises the ground frame, locks it up and returns the One Train Working Staff to the loco crew, returns to his van and gives 'Right Away'

 

Now, all of that would be rather tedious to the actual staff, but much more interesting and fun for:

 

- the layout operator

- exhibition viewers

- anyone taking a photo for a future magazine article

- The Arts Council

 

What's not to like?

 

Sheer poetry.

  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • RMweb Gold

NIck - I really like Phil's (Harlequin) ideas and would personally make the headshunt siding a bit longer, as per his dotted lines.

 

But think for a moment - who's this layout actually for? Who's going to get the most enjoyment and interest out of it? Hopefully, the answer to that is - YOU!

 

So, thinking about operational interest, why not add a second siding?

 

Otherwise, you're just running passenger trains from fiddle yard to fiddle yard and shunting occasional goods trains in what is effectively one siding with a short headshunt. A second siding at least doubles the potential shunting interest for goods traffic.

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • RMweb Gold

Hi everyone,

 

Thank you for your comments: lots of food for thought. 

 

Phil @Harlequin - thank you for your plan, it really is what I'm trying to achieve. I prefer the curve in the middle, it looks far more convincing that my effort!

 

Tim @Captain Kernow- would you put another siding behind the current one? Would that become a mileage siding/coal yard? 

 

I'm going to re-jig the track in a bit (very glad I didn't glue it down!) and see if there is room for a second siding, following Phil's latest plan.

 

Of course, the kettle needs to boil first and I need to make another pot of tea before tackling such a task! 

 

IMG_0440.PNG.df9dbe255c13c6fdb68ae824554a971e.PNG

 

Anyone for a cup of English Breakfast? 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Joseph_Pestell said:

 

It's one of those stations, due to the overall roof, that one could just model part of, with the roof being the scenic break at one end.

 

I will look up the turntable size later.

 

My long-term goal is to have a room large enough to include Horrabridge, Tavistock South and either Lydford or Launceston. Operationally, you have the charm of a country branch line, but the option to run some longer 'main line' trains if Lydford was included, not to mention exchanging wagons between the two lines. 

 

I've always liked the ex LSWR lines in the South West. My late grandfather made a model of Bere Alston, which I used to love playing with. I'll have to see if we have a photo somewhere.

 

Regards,

 

Nick.

  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • RMweb Gold
Just now, EMUsLEE said:

How much was the Tim Horn baseboard pack that you ordered for your layout , look forward to seeing this project develop :good_mini:

 

Hi Lee,

 

Thanks for for your interest. 

 

I bought these about 3 years ago now. At the time, I seem to remember £110 including postage. I think they have gone up a bit (and understandably so as the price of everything has gone up material wise) since then. 

 

Orginally, they were a set of 3 left, middle, right (LMR); although, I'm only using the left and right boards for this project. I suspect the middle board will have the back scene removed and become part of the fiddle yard. 

 

As a side note, Tim's service for standard products is very quickly and the boards went together very well. You might want to invest in a couple of sash clamps, but, bar basic tools, you don't need much else. 

 

Regards,

 

Nick.

 

 

  • Informative/Useful 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.