Has a short killed my Dapol 66?

I put my non-DCC Dapol 66 Blue Lightning on the track the other day, but one of the bogies was not completely on the rails. It set off OK, but at the first point it jumped the track and there was quite a noticeable flash from the resulting short. Since then it only moves very reluctantly for a split second or two before dying. The lights are still working normally in both directions, so I assume the pickup is good.

I wonder if I have damaged the electrics in some way and if there is an obvious test/fix? I have removed the body for the first time and could see no obvious problem, though the wiring is clearly more complex than my Poole-era stuff. I bought the 66 a while ago on ebay and it has run ok if a little noisily since then. I believe it is an early version.

I have not had any such problems with my other stock which is a mix of old Farish and Minitrix and brand new N-gauge from Farish and Dapol.

A bit of a basic question, I know. I am not a newbie, but I am stuck, so any ideas would be gratefully received.

Check the blanking plug if there is one, if it's loose it can play merry hell with the engine, had a similar problem with my Hymek recently

Thanks for that, will begin investigations when work allows.

Archived