Kato Unitrack third-party power and points connectors

Gremlin

Hi All

I am looking for some connectors to use when wiring Kato Unitrack power and points.  Kato use a connector that is similar to but not quite the same as some others on the market, specifically the Mini Tamiya Kyosho Battery Connector.

I have bought four "different" third-party brands of the mini Tamiya/Kyosho connector and none quite fit, the problem is the square part of the male plug is always to large for the female Kato plug.  And I can't find a source of the genuine Kato plugs as I guess that they are not sold separately.

Any suggestions, apart from sanding the plugs?

• 1 month later...

Hi,

A little late to reply on this I suspect, the connectors used by Kato are very similar to mini-Tamiya (sometimes called Airsoft) types, but sadly not identical.

What I've always done is to sacrifice a Kato cable where I need to put my own in and put a mini-tamiya on the end then I can use my own cabling all the way until I need to convert back to Kato.  One Kato cable can supply both a male and female end for such extensions.  This is fine for most of my usage, especially on N Gauge layouts where I use a low power feed on DCC (such a NCE Powercab uses).  If you're using a larger amount of power in O or OO gauges there is a possibility they can fail to handle the power and they can fail horribly (never happened to me on a 10 amp DCC system yet, but the possibility does exist).  Hope that helps a little.