Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Flying Pig said:

Someone will eventually work out how to get a pacific with outside rear frames round trainset curves, probably using quantum technology so that the rear truck can be simultaneously on the track and between the frames.  That will require a complete retooling of all existing models.  Owners with derailment problems will be told to adjust their complex amplitudes via CV 255+255i. DC users will moan bitterly on RMweb. 

The return crank will still point the wrong way and the motion bracket will still look like something made by Triang, so presumably at some stage those will be fixed with another retooling.  The above mentioned closing of the Pacific Ocean will delay production of these models, as Chinese factories are subducted into the Earth's mantle.  Would-be purchasers will not be happy and will vent their frustration on RMweb.

The ski slope problem will inevitably continue to worsen, probably due to dark energy as the universe expands and hence beyond Hornby's control.  DCC concepts will sell small self-adhesive black holes to fix the problem by bending spacetime locally. RMwebbers will moan that they cause derailments on 1st radius curves.

In some distant future epoch, people will stop buying new A3s, the seas will boil away and the Sun will engulf the Earth. A modern spec V2 will come to market.  RMweb users will moan about the price.

Whatever happens, we’ll moan about it...

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, tomparryharry said:

Forget all that malarkey, what about Middle Chrome Green? 

Here's the dreadsome tale of how that foul shade was revealed in all its awful park-bench dullness*.  Only the hero Varnishe could restore it to a moderately attractive hue, but he had been banished to the Land of Mordon beyond D'ol Ffynn and none could find him since the evil Necromancer Te'm Z'da'un changed all the bus routes  (I mean, it's 5 now? Really?).

*It's true.  I saw some poor Manor cast away outside the food court in Swindon Outlet Centre once in plain unlined green and it looked so dreary it even took my mind off the hideousness of the surroundings.

Edited by Flying Pig
  • Like 1
  • Funny 1

7 hours ago, Flying Pig said:

Here's the dreadsome tale of how that foul shade was revealed in all its awful park-bench dullness*.  Only the hero Varnishe could restore it to a moderately attractive hue, but he had been banished to the Land of Mordon beyond D'ol Ffynn and none could find him since the evil Necromancer Te'm Z'da'un changed all the bus routes  (I mean, it's 5 now? Really?).

*It's true.  I saw some poor Manor cast away outside the food court in Swindon Outlet Centre once in plain unlined green and it looked so dreary it even took my mind off the hideousness of the surroundings.

Hi Flying Pig,

Should that be Hi[gh] Flying Pig ?

That's all I had to say really so here is some garble about paint,

"Whilst the basic colour pigment remained the same, what varied was the number of coats of varnish applied. Since the varnish imparted a brown tinge,........................" 

Paint shades are in the main a nonsense that awful pedants get themselfs in dreadful knots about. I went on a Crew Works open day in 1975 and remember that there were various shades of BR Blue on the wall where the painters had tested out their spray guns, none of which had a brown tinge ! 

Its fair to say that BR Blue and GWR green are up there in the Pantheon of dull colours, though not as dull as the linked article and to be fair this posting of mine.

Gibbo.

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

Crew Works 

Gibbo.

I (very) nearly wrote a highly inflammatory quip then, but it's Sunday, and I can't find my tin helmet, and the taxi can't get away fast enough.....

Yours faithfully,

Mal. A. Chite.

29 minutes ago, tomparryharry said:

I (very) nearly wrote a highly inflammatory quip then, but it's Sunday, and I can't find my tin helmet, and the taxi can't get away fast enough.....

Yours faithfully,

Mal. A. Chite.

Hi Tomparryharry

I wouldn't worry overly much, I'm a Horwich man myself despite my locomotive being sent to Crewe to have a boiler fitted.

Gibbo.

16 minutes ago, tomparryharry said:

Hello Gibbo, your post has me slightly confused. Are you working in 1:1 scale? If so, I'm very impressed!

Cheers,

Ian.

Hi Ian,

I'm not that daft !  Fifteen inch gauge.

Gibbo.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Flying Pig said:

Nope - it can all be decoded, though you'll struggle if you live in Westmorland.

Hi[gh] Flying Pig,

Fortunately I'm an 'Off Comer' to Westmorland, and so it is unlikely that the lead in the water/ergot in the grain supply has affected me to the extent it has the natives of the parish !

Gibbo.

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, Gibbo675 said:

Hi[gh] Flying Pig,

Fortunately I'm an 'Off Comer' to Westmorland, and so it is unlikely that the lead in the water/ergot in the grain supply has affected me to the extent it has the natives of the parish !

Gibbo.

More a question of local knowledge than mental deterioration.

The gist  of my argument is simply that mcg is an awfully lifeless shade of green (not sure what that colour had to do with this thread in the first place however). 

To get back to the subject, in my not-so-original view The Great Bear is quite likely and Thompson Pacifics an outside possibility, particularly if changes in manufacturing continue to make smaller runs more viable (and guess what colour they would all be - yuk). Continuing reworkings of the usual suspects are pretty much a certainty however as new tweaks become possible, per my first post and probably to the detriment of other worthwhile prototypes.  Not Prince of Wales tanks and their Brighton equivalents, though - they really are left-field.

3 hours ago, Flying Pig said:

To get back to the subject, in my not-so-original view The Great Bear is quite likely and Thompson Pacifics an outside possibility, particularly if changes in manufacturing continue to make smaller runs more viable (and guess what colour they would all be - yuk).

I  like all the Thompsons but some more than other.

The wedge shaped cab was tried around WW1 in Denmark,Sweden and Germany and dropped again as drivers complained over reflections.

Was that ever an UK-issue?

Hopefully not as I think A2/1 and A2/2 looks best.

Are there some informed oppinion on their value to mankind?

• RMweb Gold

I can't see any particular value to mankind in them, except for streamlining, but there's no doubt that they give a loco a bit of style.  Nobody here to my knowledge complained about reflections, presumably of sunlight, and there were, towards the end of steam, a good number of locos with wedge shaped cabs or at least angled windows, including the LMS pacifics, Bullieds, and most of the BR standards, including one of the tanks...

8 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Nobody here to my knowledge complained about reflections, presumably of sunlight, and there were, towards the end of steam, a good number of locos with wedge shaped cabs or at least angled windows, including the LMS pacifics, Bullieds, and most of the BR standards, including one of the tanks...

I seem to remember that it was night time opperations that was endangered,but i do not remember where I read it.

Ligth from open firedor maybe?

On 11/08/2019 at 20:58, The Johnster said:

I can't see any particular value to mankind in them, except for streamlining, but there's no doubt that they give a loco a bit of style.  Nobody here to my knowledge complained about reflections, presumably of sunlight, and there were, towards the end of steam, a good number of locos with wedge shaped cabs or at least angled windows, including the LMS pacifics, Bullieds, and most of the BR standards, including one of the tanks...

And the King and Castle. Not the pub....

Jason

• RMweb Gold
On 11/08/2019 at 15:25, Flying Pig said:

More a question of local knowledge than mental deterioration.

The gist  of my argument is simply that mcg is an awfully lifeless shade of green (not sure what that colour had to do with this thread in the first place however). 

To get back to the subject, in my not-so-original view The Great Bear is quite likely and Thompson Pacifics an outside possibility, particularly if changes in manufacturing continue to make smaller runs more viable (and guess what colour they would all be - yuk). Continuing reworkings of the usual suspects are pretty much a certainty however as new tweaks become possible, per my first post and probably to the detriment of other worthwhile prototypes.  Not Prince of Wales tanks and their Brighton equivalents, though - they really are left-field.

'Tis me, playing the fool. Naturally, I quite like Middle Chrome Green, as we used to make thousands of tons of chrome in my early days in foundrywork. However, my colleagues would have different words to say, as the stuff was highly corrosive to the nasal passages, rotting away the nose & upper roof of the mouth- nasty stuff!

However, back to topic. Green or otherwise, I can't see The Great Bear coming out in RTR anytime soon. The lack of measurable examples, or parts thereof, make it a bit of a no-go. That said however, I did publicly post that Hornby would never-ever make the prairie, so what do I know?

The last time I saw parts of The Great ear was in the summer of 1985, when Tysley laid out a set of Great Western 4-cylinder valve gear. A great number of those parts were stamped 111.

Cheers,

Ian.

• RMweb Premium
On 14/08/2019 at 09:23, tomparryharry said:

I can't see The Great Bear coming out in RTR anytime soon. The lack of measurable examples, or parts thereof, make it a bit of a no-go.

Lack of something to measure didn't stop Heljan making Lion, Falcon, Kestrel, class 16 or class 128. Or Hornby the P2, 38xx (4-4-0) or Class D16/3. Or Bachmann the V3, J11

Steven B.

Edited by Steven B

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Steven B said:

Lack of something to measure didn't stop Heljan making Lion, Falcon, Kestrel, class 16 or class 128. Or Hornby the P2, 38xx or Class D16/3. Or Bachmann the V3, J11

Steven B.

Well, I sort of agree with that. The 38xx (Hornby) is a direct descendant of the 28, and there is one in preservation. Because of the time & generation gap, I'd be inclined to think The Bear a bit difficult, even though there would be a lot of desire to own one. 

There again, I did post earlier that I thought Hornby would never-ever make the big prairie......

5 hours ago, tomparryharry said:

'Tis me, playing the fool. Naturally, I quite like Middle Chrome Green, as we used to make thousands of tons of chrome in my early days in foundrywork. However, my colleagues would have different words to say, as the stuff was highly corrosive to the nasal passages, rotting away the nose & upper roof of the mouth- nasty stuff!

However, back to topic. Green or otherwise, I can't see The Great Bear coming out in RTR anytime soon. The lack of measurable examples, or parts thereof, make it a bit of a no-go. That said however, I did publicly post that Hornby would never-ever make the prairie, so what do I know?

The last time I saw parts of The Great ear was in the summer of 1985, when Tysley laid out a set of Great Western 4-cylinder valve gear. A great number of those parts were stamped 111.

Cheers,

Ian.

Hi Ian,

The etymolgy of the word chrome is form the Greek Khroma which simply means colour, compounds of the element chromium are very often colourful which is the very reason the element was named chromium after its discovery.

The question being, is middle chrome green called what it is because it is a colour or shade of green, or does it contain a compound of chromium that makes it green ?

Does any one know ?

Gibbo. 

16 minutes ago, brack said:

Chromium (iii) oxide is a very commonly used green pigment, I'd assume it was named for that.

Chrome oxide is quite widely used in pottery stains to create shades of green, and also as one of the pigments in some blacks, that will withstand high firing temperatures. This can be interesting when the stain supplier doesn't tell you it's in there and you use it to pigment a glaze that also contains tin oxide and the whole lot goes pink when fired. Not only that, but chrome oxide will fume at high temperature and the fumes impregnate the walls of your kiln, meaning that anything you subsequently fire with tin in it will also go pink. Yes, I have found this out empirically :D. I rather dislike chrome oxide, but it's a bit late now. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, tomparryharry said:

Cheers,

Ian.

It was mostly made of standard parts and the drawings apparently exist. It's virtually a stretched Star. And we know they all look the same....  ;) 

Personally I would be happy with finding a reasonably priced unbuilt M&L kit.  Often they go for well over £200. I think the highest I've found for sale was £400.

Maybe the best bet is hope that Brassmasters do it in the future. It would fit right into their range. Wouldn't be cheap, but it would be a modern state of the art kit.

Jason

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tomparryharry said:

Well, I sort of agree with that. The 38xx (Hornby) is a direct descendant of the 28, and there is one in preservation. Because of the time & generation gap, I'd be inclined to think The Bear a bit difficult, even though there would be a lot of desire to own one. 

There again, I did post earlier that I thought Hornby would never-ever make the big prairie......

I think he meant a 38XX County 4-4-0 rather than the 2-8-0.

Jason

• Agree 1