A Tabletop Track Plan

Bob S

I’m working on my “Freelance OO9 Layout” (another topic here) and as I was browsing the Internet, I saw a micro layout using Kato N Scale track that looked fun.  I mapped it out using Anyrail software and developed the track plan.  It should fit on a 34” by 15” board, that one can put on a table.  For me, it allows running various rolling stock, to see if they can negotiate the tight curves, and just watch trains while my other layout is in construction.

I have some of the track segments, so I did some preliminary tests.  The smaller curve radius is 6”/150mm.  My Bachmann Rheneas and Skarloey handle them.  My Bachmann 10-12-D can also, but complains a bit.  The latter also cannot make the curve of the turnout, so it goes straight.  Some n scale trains can run on this too, small ones anyway.

There appears to be a lot of OO9 product in development, so I hope to use this layout for test and demonstration purposes.

You may notice a tiny gap on the outside curves.  I’m not sure if it’s real or an artifact of the software.  At any rate, it’s just a couple of millimeters, so ther should be enough flex in the track to compensate.

Feel free to try this!  Let me know what you think if you do.

DF21EF9E-AFCD-47B7-A94C-D14652C880FA.jpeg

• Like 2

I'd suggest that 6" radius is likely to be too tight for most of the commercially available 009 stuff. It really limits you to short 4-wheeled locos and stock - for reasons of coupling as much as whether you can get the things to stay on the track. The smaller Minitrains stuff should be OK.

If you can I'd suggest going for 9" radius. It still won't take a Heljan 2-6-2, but a Baldwin should get round (possibly not coupled to anything!), the planned Hunslets and RNAD diesels probably will too, and Minitrains stock will have no issues. Peco make 9" radius 009 set-track and it looks much better than the Kato N-gauge track too, should you decide to make it scenic. I'd recommend sticking to live-frog points in 009 for good running, sadly the Peco set-track 9" radius points are dead frog, maybe that won't be an issue on a test track but something to be aware of. 

I'm guessing the Kato points and diamond crossing are dead frog too. I bet that crossing causes 4-wheel locos to stall - personally I'd avoid it to save frustration. 

Edited by mjcampbell

I’ve put mine together, minus a point.  The Bachmann Skarloey 0-4-2, Rheneas 0-4-0 and 10-12-D 4-6-0 have no problems negotiating the route.  The 90deg crossing doesn’t stall any of the locos, unless you bring them to a stop right on it.  I’m building a green cloth felt slab for it to sit on, when all is done I’ll post a YouTube video and leave a link here.

(I also run n scale stock on it.  Don’t tell anyone!)

• Like 2

Here’s my final setup; the two points are remotely operated with Kato mechanisms.  The base is just some 1/4” plywood with green felt glued over it.  The wiring is threaded through holes in the wood and cloth under the points  and power hookup.

52F02A1A-BDD3-4862-A644-A1F3B3C1B0A2.jpeg

• Like 4

• 6 months later...

The only thing constant is change! I enlarged the space for my tabletop train board to 18" by 36". Four turnouts, and a slightly larger radius oval for running all sorts of OO9 and N trains.

IMG_0210.JPG

• Like 8

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Ahhh the pleasures of a true roundy-roundy trainset.

Can anyone have any more fun, with their clothes on?

Small boys will faint from the excitement.

Wives lift their eyes to the heavens, and complain about the distraction.

All male dinner guests abandon the ladies to go and play trains...

Is anything else needed?

A passing loop/headshunt so you can run end to end would be good but need a wider 3'x'2' or longer 4' x 1'3 baseboard.

22 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

And this is Kato Unitrak?

Remarkably affordable for what it is.

Which by the usual muddler standards, I could build it at home with tin foil and a small aubergine, too expensive!

But it is available down to 6" radius so useful for tramway operations. 

There are a couple of affordable EuropeaN-scale to go with the track so you can set up a train-set for about £120. So it does have it's attraction and it is possible to disguise the nature of the moulded track with a deep scenic dressing...on a permanent line.

Remember many Japanese only have a table top on which to model and no space for dedicating to a full scenic treatment. So everything has to pack into storage boxes. Realistic moulded ballast and 80code rail providing a ready to run set that looks the part.

• Agree 1

Looks to have a lot of potential for H0e 'industrial' fans like me who now have dodgy eyesight, so struggle with proper fine-scale (<Code 60) track. I sold all my H0e stash due to not being able to cope with the finesse of proper track.

Are the points "live frog"?

2 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Looks to have a lot of potential for H0e 'industrial' fans like me who now have dodgy eyesight, so struggle with proper fine-scale (<Code 60) track. I sold all my H0e stash due to not being able to cope with the finesse of proper track.

Are the points "live frog"?

As I understand it, sadly the KATO Unitrack very sharp radius points are not live frog. Larger radius are.

CP

Edited by cp409067
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 3 weeks later...

Kato's N gauge 'European Train' uses a power module in the first coach, the loco is a push around model.

So it may be the coach that stalls on the 6" radius points not the loco.

BUT the coach has quite a long wheelbase so there may be no issue...

Whilst the track is mounted on a fairly thick base some 5mm mounting board may make that less of an issue once incorporated into the chosen scenic treatment.

knock on this door for affordable Kato supplies

https://www.traintrax.co.uk/