sem34090

Morning All -

I am trying to compile, for my own reference, a list of what options are available for the modelling of all SR EMU Types and some of the BR Types. I have got so far, and have yet to complete it by a long stretch, but here is what I'm up to so far:

Any help in completing this to its fullest extent would be very much appreciated.

SR and BR(S) EMU Modelling

SR 2-BIL

• Hornby RTR (From >£70)
  • Ian Kirk Plastic Kit – (£45 - Requires Wheels and Power Unit to complete)
  • Ajay Models Resin Kit (£135 Unpowered, £184 With wheels and Power Unit)

SR 2-HAL (Also 2-PAN)

• Hornby RTR from >£80
  • SR 2-HAL (‘Tin HAL’)
  • Ajay Models Resin Kit (£135 Unpowered, £181 With wheels and Power Unit)

SR 2-NOL

• Roxey Mouldings – Etched Brass (£129 Per Unit, Requires Wheels and Power Unit)

SR 2-SL

• Rue D’etropal 3D Print

SR 2-WIM

• Rue D’etropal 3D Print

SR 3-SUB

• Roxey Mouldings – Etched Brass (£189 Per Unit, Requires Wheels and Power Unit)
  • Rue D’etropal 3D Print
  • Ajay Models Resin Kit Previously Available.
  • Possible home 3D Print?

SR 3-SUB (ex-LSWR)

• Roxey Mouldings (Etched)
  • Rue D’etropal 3D Print
  • Possible home 3D Print?

SR 4-BUF

• BSL/Phoenix Kit - Aluminium

SR 4-COR

• Silver Fox Models Conversion (Approx £80, excluding Bachmann Bulleid Coaches)
  • Marc Models RTR (£950 – Kit slightly cheaper)

SR 4-DD

• Ajay Models Resin Kit

SR 4-GRI

SR 4-LAV

SR 4-RES

SR 4-SUB (4101-4110)

• Some parts available through No Nonsense Kits.

SR 4-SUB (4111 Onwards)

• Some parts available through No Nonsense Kits

SR 5-BEL

• Hornby RTR Available (>£250)
  • Golden Arrow RTR Previously Available.
  • Wrenn RTR Previously Available.

SR 6-CIT

• Cabs available from Silver Fox.

SR 6-PAN

• Cabs available from Silver Fox.

SR 6-PUL

• Cabs available from Silver Fox, Pullman could be from Hornby BEL.

SR W&C 1940 Stock (Class 487)

• Roxey Mouldings kit previously available.

BR MLV (Class 419)

• Bachmann RTR >£50
  • DC Kits Plastic Kit - £12 (Body Only)
  • Southern Pride Models Kit
  • MJT Etches and Castings Available

BR 2-EPB (Class 416 – Bulleid)

• Some parts available from No Nonsense Kits.

BR 2-EPB (Class 416 – BR)

• Bachmann RTR >£100
  • Replica Railways Bash

BR 2-HAP (Class 414 – Also Class 413 4-CAP and Class 418 2-SAP)

• Forthcoming Bachmann RTR >£150
  • Replica Railways Bash

BR 2-HAP (Class 414, Bulleid)

• Ajay Models Resin Kit Previously Available

BR 4-CEP (Class 411)

• Bachmann RTR >£150
  • Replica Railways Bash

BR 4-EPB (Class 415 - Bulleid)

• Some parts available from No Nonsense Kits.

BR 4-EPB ( Class 415 – BR)

• Bash from 2x Bachmann RTR Motor Cars and 2x Bachmann Suburbans. >£250
  • Replica Railways Bash

BR 2H (Class 205)

• Bachmann RTR >£100
  • Replica Railways Bash
Edited by sem34090
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Worsley works offer a number of etches for southern units. Those not listed in the 4mm section can be found on their 3mm section and they will likely be able to provide 4mm versions (for instance 3mm dd is offered,  will produce 4mm version on request).

• Informative/Useful 2

A fairly comprehensive list, but here are a few more for you, sem34090:

SR-style 2 HAP from Ayjay Models

SR 4 SUB (4111 onwards) was also available from Blacksmith Models. I wonder how many of these etched brass kits have actually been built - my own has not!).

5 BEL from Hornby (you mentioned the possibility of one of these Pullmans going into a 6 PUL , but forgot to mention the Brighton Belle itself! :) )

4 VEP from Hornby

4 TC from Kernow Model Railways

• Informative/Useful 1

Silly me... I'll add the BEL.

I haven't included the later units, nor the 4-Car BR ones, as they are of limited interest to me personally. However, if this is seen as a useful resource I shall add them.

• Friendly/supportive 1

On another note, would anyone be able to supply drawings for any the following - I have ranked them by desirability:

• SR 2-NOL
  • SR 3-SUB
  • SR 3-SUB (ex-LSWR)
  • SR 4-COR
  • SR 4-LAV
  • SR 4-SUB (4101-4110)
  • SR 4-SUB (4111 Onwards)
  • SR 6-PUL
  • SR 2-SL
  • SR 2-WIM
  • SR W&C 1940 Stock (Class 487)
  • SR 6-CIT
  • SR 6-PAN
  • SR 4-BUF
  • SR 4-GRI
  • SR 4-RES

Obviously if you have access to the drawings that'd be preferable, but links to sources are also appreciated. And references to books. Somewhere I have drawings for a 4-COR, in a 1970s edition of Model Railway Constructor but I don't know where that's gone.

• RMweb Gold
On 31/07/2019 at 10:20, sem34090 said:

SR 6-PUL

• Cabs available from Silver Fox, Pullman could be from Hornby BEL.

Here's my effort at cut'n'shutting a Belle trailer done a while ago. There are one or two measurement inaccuracies!

6-CIT Pullman 1.jpg

6-CIT Pullman 2.jpg

6-CIT Pullman 3.jpg

6-CIT Pullman 4.jpg

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

May I suggest that if you have not done so already you make contact with Colin Duff, modelling officer of the Southern Electric Group, who may be able to provide more support and detail.  Email modelling@southernelectric.org.uk  The Group itself may be worth joining if the interest is wider than simply modelling.  

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I am assuming this thread is about 4mm.

MARC Models do, or did, all the variations of the 4-COR family - RES, BUF. GRI etc and many other SR EMU's including the 6-PAN and 4-DD; these were, or are, available as kits or RTR as preferred. These are all of brass / nickel silver construction which, in my opinion, is likely to give an eminently superior finish over more recent resin cast or 3-D printed models.

My caveat is that due to the proprietor's advancing years, availability is now very variable, but there will be models out there in the market, and a telephone call to Mike Radford at MARC Models may well produce results.

Tony

Unfortunately I don't have that sort of money for a kit I'm unlikely to be able to build. Worth adding to the list though. 

Modern resin 3D prints offer a perfectly smooth finish with no preparation, so probably result in a better model for me than a first attempt at brass would.

4 hours ago, sem34090 said:

Another query -

Does anyone know where I might obtain replacement sides to convert a Hornby 2-BIL into one of the 1935 batch? 

Branchlines do detail etches and conversion etches for the Kirk 2bil. The Kirk kits now available as individual parts from Phoenix paints. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, sem34090 said:

Unfortunately I don't have that sort of money for a kit I'm unlikely to be able to build. Worth adding to the list though. 

Modern resin 3D prints offer a perfectly smooth finish with no preparation, so probably result in a better model for me than a first attempt at brass would.

Understood - although I am not sure I agree with the 'no preparation' bit; a lot of resin printed coaches have problems around the window frames, with areas either needing removal or building up due to issues with the casting process, but they are certainly going to be easier to build!

Tony

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Tony Teague said:

My caveat is that due to the proprietor's advancing years, ....................

Tony

Indeed Tony, It is regrettable that my order was never fulfilled after several direct phone calls with Mike and also two letters and as a result I've written off my £38. A sad and unfortunate state of affairs when illness strikes.

P.S.

I shall now be going down the route of ordering etches from Allen Doherty at Worsley Works. He does them for the 4-COR in 4mm and also does the 6-PUL albeit in 3mm but I'm hoping that he'll 'shoot them up' to 4mm. as he did for me with the 3mm 4-LAV which now is in his list. 

Edited by Re6/6

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, Re6/6 said:

Indeed Tony, It is regrettable that my order was never fulfilled after several direct phone calls with Mike and also two letters and as a result I've written off my £38. A sad and unfortunate state of affairs when illness strikes.

P.S.

I shall now be going down the route of ordering etches from Allen Doherty at Worsley Works. He does them for the 4-COR in 4mm and also does the 6-PUL albeit in 3mm but I'm hoping that he'll 'shoot them up' to 4mm. as he did for me with the 3mm 4-LAV which now is in his list. 

Very sorry to hear that things have reached that state; he had such an excellent product range and one can only hope that it gets picked up in due course by someone who can take it forward.

Tony

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

4-LAV roof question.

Can anybody help me with identifying these three roof vents(?)/covers please and are they available as whitemetal castings. I have a feeling that I've seen them by somebody somewhere before!

Many thanks.

4-LAV DMBT roof detail.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 06/08/2019 at 21:42, Re6/6 said:

4-LAV roof question.

Can anybody help me with identifying these three roof vents(?)/covers please and are they available as whitemetal castings. I have a feeling that I've seen them by somebody somewhere before!

Many thanks.

The 4 LAVs, apart from 2954 and 2955 had Metropolitan Vickers cab mounted equipment (power resistances contactors etc). Much heat emanated in these cabs and I would think these roof appendages were ventilators for cooling. Later SR muliple units had (English Electric) underframe mounted equipment with the noticeable large resistance grids clearly visible beneath the motor coaches.

The first ten 2 BIL units also had cab mounted equipment but if I am not mistaken, only had two of these ventilators.

The cable from the power jumper connection block (not the receptacle) on units with cab mounted equipment runs upwards past the RH cab window to the roof, whereas on units with underframe mounted equipment, it runs downwards from the jumper connection block.  In both cases it feeds the Power (positive) Junction Box via the jumper line fuse.

fromthe power

Edited by Right Away
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• 6 months later...

I recently acquired some Bachmann 2EPBs to hopefully recreate a mid 60's Caterham train. Would someone please advise as to what additional and/or replacement coaches would be needed to make a Bachmann 2EPB into a 4 EPB.  I'm hoping some Bachmann BR standard suburbans would be appropriate. And if so, would the colour be the same?

TIA Andy