sem34090

Bachmann suburban coaches are 57ft, you need 64ft versions,  which you can get as parts from replica railways. 

Iirc,  thinking off top of my head you would need two of the coaches with luggage compartments each end with a pair of 64ft suburban coaches in the middle. But you will need to remove the buffers and fit centre buffing plates and a few other things. 

Strictly the 4EPB should have a DMBSO at each end.  Whereas the 2EPB has a DMBSO and a DTO (or DTC).  The DTO has no guard/luggage compartment making the 2 vehicles noticeably different.

I'm having a go at a 4EPB at the moment using the Replica cut'n'shut approach.  Alternatively you can still get the Southern Pride kit (I think) but other kits are out of production.

Good luck with it.

Vernon

Some used Bachmann MK1 suburbans arrived here in California from the UK this month, but I was surprised that the windows were not the moulded inset type used on the MK1 corridors and the 2EPB.  I thought Bachmann's  MK1 suburbans were introduced after the Mk1 corridor coaches. 

I'm going to have to do some experimenting with making substitute individual inset windows at least, even before worrying about adding  7 extra feet to the length. 

Andy

A little bit o/t, but I think still relevant? What about the units north of the river? I've already nearly completed a slope-front 304 4-car, and fancy a "SR look-alike" 302 or 307,308. Are they close enough to the SR designs to use anything available? (probably thinking Replica more than anything).

Stewart

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, stewartingram said:

A little bit o/t, but I think still relevant? What about the units north of the river? I've already nearly completed a slope-front 304 4-car, and fancy a "SR look-alike" 302 or 307,308. Are they close enough to the SR designs to use anything available? (probably thinking Replica more than anything).

Stewart

Only two Bachmann EMU coaches that are any good are the DTC(L) from the 2 HAP for a Southend Stock/AM7/class 307 DTS(L). The other is the DTS of the 2EPB, it is suitable for the DTS of Southend Stock, this coach was rebuilt to DTBS, with pantograph and transformers on conversion to 25KVa therefore the Bachmann model is not suitable for AM7/class 307.  Rebuilding the cab of these two coaches, they could form the basis of the DTS(L) of class 302, 304/1, 305/2, 308/1 and 308/3.

I did use Bachmann 57ft non-gangway stock to make my AM2. I have used Replica non-gangway stock for all my other GER EMUs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

My number 1 on the wish list  pole for many years has been a 4-Sub for my memories of visiting my grandparents house in Penge just down Mossley Road from Penge East station. It will be a plate rail long model.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, wainwright1 said:

Are the Bachmann suburbans the right length ?

I have a feeling that it was the Replica ones which were the appropriate ones.

Ray

To answer that anyway - Bachmann Suburbans are only really any good for doing the Watford DC (Cl. 501) stock, or so I thought. I don't think they've tooled for 64ft stock?

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...