Michael Edge's workbench

• RMweb Premium

I don't have any photos of the inside of the cab looking backwards - so what do any lockers look like? I originally thought that there might be a large locker in the centre and etched this but it clearly fouls the handbrake. Drawings of this area are not at all clear on this,240753097_ScreenShot2019-10-17at09_43_01.png.3da7bcab422ab141b775381e2b041539.png774865809_ScreenShot2019-10-17at09_42_37.png.a0b2953c311e47d48e3d2c1c0f0b42b4.png

• RMweb Premium

It's a Slater's GB30 with a Canon motor. All my 7mm locos have had Slater's gearboxes for some time now, they are easy to fit, very reliable and readily available. A big advantage of this type of gearbox (and also ABC) is that the skew gear drive is reversible, the Canon motor seems better than the Mashima which used to be fitted to these.

The driven axle is compensated with the leading one, movement of the gearbox is restrained by the footplate bracket in front of it and a plate at the rear of the motor. This allows up and down movement and a little forward and backwards rocking.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, AlfaZagato said:

It looks commendably straightforward.   What, two sides with overlays, with the the cabs & hoods being a single piece each end?

The NER electrics are quite straightforward, no difficult forming needed but the pantographs on this one are a bit more complicated - see next week's instalments.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, PAD said:

Hi Michael,

The Stanier 3P looks very nice.  Will it be available as a kit on your range, or is it a one off just for yourself? 

Cheers, 

Peter

The 7mm version is a one-off at the moment but it has thrown up a large number of errors and corrections for the 4mm version which is a priority for production. The 7mm one is spread across more than one sheet so not really possible to run it again in its present form.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Guest Lyonesse

I have a long time aim to build a 4mm LMS compound, in memory of my father who travelled behind them a lot pre-war, so I'd be interested in the kit if it ever appeared.  I have a 2P 4-4-0, based on the Gibson kit (again, one of Dad's familiars).  The hardest part with the 2P is to model the cutout in the boiler lagging for the reversing rod.  Most kits pretend it isn't there, but I think it adds to the character.  As far as I can see, the cutout wasn't there on the Compound --- Midland or LMS version.

I also need a Jubilee, and I have one of the Korean brass ones, purchased on ebay.  It's surprisingly crude, but that, as they say, is another story.

• RMweb Premium

This isn't a kit, it's mostly cut from sheet although some of the parts were etched. Most of the unique tender will be etched. The compounds didn't have the reach rod recessed into the boiler cladding.

Is the Jubilee one of the gold plated ones? I have no. 063 somewhere, never could decide what to do with it - it's an accurate and well detailed model but the wheels/motor etc. are rather poor by model standards and I think Larry Goddard said they were pig to paint.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Michael Edge said:

This isn't a kit, it's mostly cut from sheet although some of the parts were etched. Most of the unique tender will be etched. The compounds didn't have the reach rod recessed into the boiler cladding.

Is the Jubilee one of the gold plated ones? I have no. 063 somewhere, never could decide what to do with it - it's an accurate and well detailed model but the wheels/motor etc. are rather poor by model standards and I think Larry Goddard said they were pig to paint.

If you do the sides for the tender, if you have any spares, please could I buy one ? BTW are you at Warley this year?

Guest Lyonesse
1 hour ago, Michael Edge said:

Yes, it's gold plated.  I'd bought a spare tender before the Jubilee.  That was gold painted.  When I stripped off the gold paint I found the brass was gold plated. Explain that!

As you say, they're quite detailed.  The handrails are very chunky and rather spoil thinks.  Presumably chosen in the interest of robustness.