Michael Edge's workbench

1 hour ago, decauville1126 said:

Also available from here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/Leisure-and-Hobby?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

I've used them for many years for delrin chain supplies.

The link is very non-specific

This one is better but is still ambiguous https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Delrin-Chain-Sprocket-Drive-System-for-4mm-7mm-16mm-7-8-Scales-S-O-SM32-45mm-G/161623046587?hash=item25a17bf9bb:m:mDzUX9VC23BSJ-udGOILQBA

Edited by PenrithBeacon
Link added

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, Michael Edge said:

40936 has been painted and numbered, just waiting for lining now.

IMG_0710.JPG.4d4d732e2455175721be0ce941a17e7b.JPG

Meanwhile another job under way

IMG_0704.JPG.e6b72e9f116a45183b8c059876f75d53.JPG

Any guesses as to what this might be? (BarryO keep out!)

More later.

36 minutes ago, innocentman said:

Something 1Co-Co1 and EM gauge (judging by where its sitting in your test track)?

So an EE Type 4 for Carlisle?

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

So an EE Type 4 for Carlisle?

You win 1st prize John - can't think what that might be though!

There is a requirement for a powerful EE type 4 for the West Coast TPO which is extremely heavy and none of the rtr diesels can move it. We did have the LMS 10000/1 on it but they aren't really right and have been giving quite a lot of trouble lately. I think the heaviest Duchesses would cope but I can't get back there for the time being - should have been there most of April.

I'll put the rest of the photos on later when it's finished.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

You win 1st prize John - can't think what that might be though!

There is a requirement for a powerful EE type 4 for the West Coast TPO which is extremely heavy and none of the rtr diesels can move it. We did have the LMS 10000/1 on it but they aren't really right and have been giving quite a lot of trouble lately. I think the heaviest Duchesses would cope but I can't get back there for the time being - should have been there most of April.

I'll put the rest of the photos on later when it's finished.

How about:

- Hunslet outside-cylinder 0-6-0ST 1685/1931 (you can look up the name...)

- Bagnall Port of Par 0-4-0ST

- Class 2021 0-6-0PT that really doesn't belong at Cwmafon

- all of the above

No rush!

PS I will share the prize with Fred because I didn't spot the gauge myself.

• Friendly/supportive 2

The Mabuchi motors look promising, although I've yet to locate one small enough for most of my projects. Still I have a couple I took out of a busted car door mirror, waiting for a larger loco to put them in. They seem quite slow, smooth running jobs. Can I ask what gear ratio you used? 

• RMweb Gold
On 18/03/2020 at 09:52, Michael Edge said:

40936 has been painted and numbered, just waiting for lining now.

IMG_0710.JPG.4d4d732e2455175721be0ce941a17e7b.JPG

Meanwhile another job under way

IMG_0704.JPG.e6b72e9f116a45183b8c059876f75d53.JPG

Any guesses as to what this might be? (BarryO keep out!)

More later.

Hi Mike

are these an etch which could become available to buy? I have the three silver fox sr protoypes to build one day and these would be perfect for them.

Kind regards-richard

22 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

Continuing with the EE type 4

IMG_0706.JPG.5801dd25c2ccfdf285df8ece479869e1.JPG

From the top with the bogie frame attached. The inner frames are 0.015" steel on my standard etched spacers, attaching them in the more or less ungluable Lima plastic wasn't easy. The wheelbase doesn't fit the chain length very well, just slightly too long but running it over something like this doesn't seem to do any harm. The motor is the Mabuchi I've been using in bigger locos for a while now, on a High Level Roadrunner gearbox driving the inner axle.

IMG_0705.JPG.21c9f80664360cb157629a0a6150d43b.JPG

From below showing the chains. Wheels are Gibson 4844D which are on 1/8th axles to suit the smallest available sprockets (8T). The pony truck is arranged on a pivot point calculated with Baldry's rule, the lack of a gear wheel in the centre of the outer axle makes this possible. Incidentally this demonstrates why the full size loco's pony trucks are pivoted on swing links from the buffer beam - the traction motor occupies the space where the pivot should go. The Lima frames are far too wide but will be narrowed later.

IMG_0708.JPG.3af461afc25c7b7c75766dcdacec8053.JPG

Both bogies together on the test track, they ran at almost exactly the same speed, although this isn't actually vital it helps.

IMG_0707.JPG.a42ef236476a60cbf36ab190db882dbd.JPG

Unlike a lot of modern rtr the Lima loco comes apart very easily leaving this moulded floor pan. Strips of .015" n/s (handy scrap etch for this) glued into the sides and hefty (1/16" brass) pivot plates soldered in.

IMG_0711.JPG.dc4c9fefea11ab7fe714dcb2777d5f3a.JPG

Bogie frames narrowed (by cutting and shutting the stretchers) and buffer beams replaced. The motors bolt on to the High Level gearbox at an angle but they have plenty of room to swing in the floor. I have put the centre steel weight back but lead sheet will be added between it and the motors, also in the nose ends - there will still be plenty of room for the DCC and sound gubbins.

IMG_0712.JPG.73ed97e594e0c6ba5cfd9d12f6a4fa14.JPG

All finished (apart from the bodyside window glazing) on the test track, it weighs 777g with all the lead in, can still spin its wheels and pulls my dynamometer spring out to a record 100mm. 1M44 is the southbound TPO, the other end has 1S09 for the northbound one.

Good to see someone else chain-driving a 4mm diesel model. Dad's done a couple (he may have mentioned to you it at some point for all I know), a  Western and a Warship, though with single centre motor in each case. I'd reckon that your type 4 hauls better though...

Adam

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I've used chain drive before in 4mm models - even in 00 with a narrow gearbox. On order from PPD is an etch for driving our 6wh Steelman kit which was designed round the now defunct Bullant. One option reproduces the Bullant drive, the other uses chains which will allow some compensation.

It might be some time before I find out how well D334 works but it's had a quick trial on the dual gauge part of my fiddle yard (20ft or so). The pony trucks seem to track accurately and it runs round the 3'6" curves quite happily.

• Like 6

On 19/03/2020 at 10:44, PenrithBeacon said:

Interesting! When I was looking to re-wheel my Bachmann Type 4, the AGW wheels didn't seem to fit the bill; so I went to Ultrascale

Regards

I remembered last night night during a wakeful period, that I bought the Ultrascales because the AGW wheels were unavailable and I got the impression, on asking at a show, that there wasn't a plan to make them re-available. It's good that you can buy them again.

4 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

I've used chain drive before in 4mm models - even in 00 with a narrow gearbox. On order from PPD is an etch for driving our 6wh Steelman kit which was designed round the now defunct Bullant. One option reproduces the Bullant drive, the other uses chains which will allow some compensation.

It might be some time before I find out how well D334 works but it's had a quick trial on the dual gauge part of my fiddle yard (20ft or so). The pony trucks seem to track accurately and it runs round the 3'6" curves quite happily.

Hi Mike,

I would love to have given D334 a test run for you on my EM track and pointwork, but sadly I am isolated on the other side of the hills.

Lofty

• Friendly/supportive 2