Michael Edge's workbench

1 hour ago, Michael Edge said:

Now for something different, another C14 but from a different railway.

IMG_0753.JPG.b66fb1a40884b95012220bcf60afa7f8.JPG

This is the LSW C14 0-4-0T, converted from 2-2-0T railmotor locos. I have two of these to build for customers and so etched most of it, Nick Toix has already built the 7mm version of this etch.

Lovely work Mike - Is this ever likely to be made widely available either as etches only or a complete kit? I hung on for years waiting for the CSP one but don't think that will now see the light of day, nor it's 7mm enlargement that (I think) Dave Hammersley of Roxey was considering. I'm aware of the currently-available Connoisseur Models 7mm one being a 'simplified' version.

Keep us posted with this build please.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, Nicktoix said:

I haven't built up the courage yet to line it out.

Now then Nick, a couple of pints and it'll be a piece of cake - just like Wednesdays in Headingley all those years ago.

• Funny 3

On 03/04/2020 at 23:31, Barry O said:

Finish your roadrailers???

Baz

Roadrailers, do I hear?

RRV.jpg.5136e7f2476b2a9f73288fee6a241c2a.jpg

You know where to come to for the transfers.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

PS. The vehicle numbers now come, correctly, in red.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

He has some of my transfers , I had two roadrailers so has some of your transfers "spare". I now have another 14 roadrailers so will need to buy another sheet  when you reopen.

Anyone want any of the "tug" lorries which came as part of the kit???

Baz

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Barry O said:

He has some of my transfers , I had two roadrailers so has some of your transfers "spare". I now have another 14 roadrailers so will need to buy another sheet  when you reopen.

Baz

8 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

I've got about the same number, for some inexplicable reason.

Panic buying??

Mike.

• Funny 3

12 hours ago, Barry O said:

Baz

Just a thought - I've a feeling that this design of artic. tractor was produced for the military as the prime-mover for the Blue Streak missile.

How about painting some in RAF colours and using them as loads on LOWMACs or WARWELLS ?

John Isherwood.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

Just a thought - I've a feeling that this design of artic. tractor was produced for the military as the prime-mover for the Blue Streak missile.

How about painting some in RAF colours and using them as loads on LOWMACs or WARWELLS ?

John Isherwood.

From the pictures I've seen of the model, I'd say it's a slightly iffy rendition of a perfectly normal AEC mk V Mantador tractor unit. They were used by literally hundreds of operators and have been done (better) by EFE and Road Transport images among others. That said, if Barry has a stock of them, I would certainly have use for a handful of the chassis/mouldings.

Adam

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Adam said:

From the pictures I've seen of the model, I'd say it's a slightly iffy rendition of a perfectly normal AEC mk V Mantador tractor unit. They were used by literally hundreds of operators and have been done (better) by EFE and Road Transport images among others. That said, if Barry has a stock of them, I would certainly have use for a handful of the chassis/mouldings.

Adam

When the kits came out it was described as a Mandator.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

When the kits came out it was described as a Mandator.

That's right - I couldn't remember the spelling (and as far as I can tell, AEC made the word up).

Adam

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, Adam said:

That's right - I couldn't remember the spelling (and as far as I can tell, AEC made the word up).

Adam

They most definitely didn't, a mandator is someone who mandates.

The use by AEC of 'm' words is worthy of study as a subject on its own!

Mike.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

In the early 1970s I worked at British Leyland HQ in Berkeley Square.  One day we discussed offering a Morris version of the Austin Allegro.  We contemplated using a musical term complementing "Allegro" but following the alliteral example of A A.  I went to Cassell's shop in Bond Street one lunchtime and bought a copy of Cassell's Dictionary of Musical Terms.  Unfortunately, all words beginning with an Em were inappropriate, e.g. Moderato.  Needless to say we decided not to proceed with that naming policy and eventually the product dropped off the plan as well.

Stan

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Nicktoix said:

That lathe is also seriously heavy. I know cos I've moved it.

Nick

Yes, so did I. I seem to remember me in van holding one end of the lathe...then I got angry with it...lathe was then in van.  :)

Baz

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 27/12/2019 at 07:09, MarkNJ said:

I use a Paasche air eraser with their aluminium oxide grit or Badgers.

Does one need a sophisticated sandblaster to clean metal kits? Paasche recommend 65psi for their air eraser, which is beyond the capability of many airbrush compressors. Badger's cheaper mini sandblaster works from an aerosol can but is it up to the job?

Edited by dpgibbons

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, AlfaZagato said:

I avoid the issue of pressure with a workshop 1/2HP compressor.   They tend to be cheaper than the hobby compressors.    Large tanks, too.   I think mine has a 10 gallon reservoir.

I use an Aldi £60 special

On 18/04/2020 at 21:38, dpgibbons said:

Does one need a sophisticated sandblaster to clean metal kits? Paasche recommend 65psi for their air eraser, which is beyond the capability of many airbrush compressors. Badger's cheaper mini sandblaster works from an aerosol can but is it up to the job?

You will not get much blasting done using aerosol cans with the Badger.

It will work perfectly satisfactorily with a small airbrush compressor.

I now use a, presumably, Chinese made blaster, similar to the one sold by Axminster as “Spraycraft”. It is also cheaper than the Badger.

Jim P

On 18/04/2020 at 13:38, dpgibbons said:

Hi there,

I have used a full size sand blaster, but find it is a little too aggressive for the finer model sections.

The Paasche works well from 30 psi upwards. The secret is to eliminate any moisture from the blasting medium.

Also resist any temptation to reuse the medium any impurity will result in a blocked nozzle.

I have used a 3/4 hp contractors compressor with tank for the last 30 years. I found the aerosols to be totally useless.

I started with the Badger unit until it wore out then upgraded to the Paasche which I find does the job admirably.

Hope this helps.

Mark

• Informative/Useful 3