Michael Edge's workbench

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, Michael Edge said:

It's a long time since but my usual method then was to make the splasher tops from brass sheet of the appropriate thickness, leaving it standing proud of the splasher face. Solder up the splashers, clean up the joint and sand it to the thickness of the beading. All these were built before I got into etching but I did do some etched splasher faces for the L&Y Atlantic in 4mm and 7mm.

Thanks Mike. That was one of my possible choices. The bit I haven't worked out yet is the beading that goes onto the cab side on the 4-4-0. I have cut the cab side and the splasher sides in one bit. Would you have made the splashers as a separate part and added the cab to the top of the splasher afterwards? 

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, Michael Edge said:

I would have made the cab sides in two pieces, either side of the splasher top.

Thanks Mike. That certainly gives me a way forward. I had at least 4 different potential ways to go but having seen how well your method worked on the 4 4 0 which has almost identical beading, I thought it was worth asking.

The D9 isn't on your list of GCR locos to do an etch for is it? A cab side and splasher with beading etched in brass would make it so easy!

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, Michael Edge said:

Not yet but I would like one. Locos for Wentworth Junction are taking precedence at the moment though, next on the drawing board will be the Q4 and I've really got to get moving with the EM1.

I already have a Q4 and that is all I need. It is a much modified Millholme kit. You mentioned a J10 some while back. Is that getting near the top of the list yet? That would sell plenty in both 4mm and 7mm. There is a new 7mm kit out there but it doesn't  fill me with confidence!

Giving it more thought, your D9 will be the rebuilt one with the big boiler. The cab front and splasher widths will be wrong for my early one in new condition. So I shall carry on with the scratchbuild. I enjoy that sort of modelling and don't do it often enough.

• RMweb Gold
  • RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, t-b-g said:

I already have a Q4 and that is all I need. It is a much modified Millholme kit. You mentioned a J10 some while back. Is that getting near the top of the list yet? That would sell plenty in both 4mm and 7mm. There is a new 7mm kit out there but it doesn't  fill me with confidence!

Giving it more thought, your D9 will be the rebuilt one with the big boiler. The cab front and splasher widths will be wrong for my early one in new condition. So I shall carry on with the scratchbuild. I enjoy that sort of modelling and don't do it often enough.

Quite so. The J10 is still stalled on the absence of end view drawings with particular reference to the cab spectacles. The variety of MS&L tenders for this is a bit problematical as well.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Michael Edge said:

Quite so. The J10 is still stalled on the absence of end view drawings with particular reference to the cab spectacles. The variety of MS&L tenders for this is a bit problematical as well.

The GC Society have a "large detailed Class 9H drawing" listed in their archives. I haven't seen it so I don't know if it has an end view but it might be worth an ask. I am a member of the GCRS so if you would like me to ask on your behalf, I would be happy to do so.

Edit to add they also have tender drawings for 3250 and 4000 gallon tenders for the J10.

Edited by t-b-g

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Staffordshire said:

Mike, 

Is the SR  C14 finished ?   or the status of the Ashford Diesel Shunter 15202 ?

Just to pile on the requests 

Cheers,  Ian

C14 is nearly finished but work came to a halt when I found that I'd got the wrong HL gearbox for it. The right one turnec up yesterday so it won't be long now. No further work on the Ashford DE.

• Like 2

Mike,

I Never knew a great deal about pre-Robinson locos.  When I did investigate the J9/10 I was quite surprised to read that there were at least three types of cab and who knows how many tenders. Seems to be a bit of a mine field!

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Michael Edge said:

Cadbury No.9 back from Dave Studley superbly (and very quickly) painted.

IMG_6090small.jpg.77ae66dae4180acefad00c4eb7b30c57.jpg

Safely delivered to Don this afternoon, only  a little late for his birthday.

t.jpg.0b910896fdbee7e74fc02f35ff6b3ab5.jpg

t1.jpg.edbcc137a05cf504484f0aa622b81d2e.jpg

t3.jpg

That, to carry on the chocolate theme, looks sweet! Cracking good model and the paint job really brings out the best in it. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Pebbles said:

Mike,

I Never knew a great deal about pre-Robinson locos.  When I did investigate the J9/10 I was quite surprised to read that there were at least three types of cab and who knows how many tenders. Seems to be a bit of a mine field!

I think the answer with such problems is to choose one version and base the etch on that. The J9/10 were made up from several different GCR/MS&LR classes and trying to do an etch that provides all the variations is very difficult. If other variations can be easily included, such as a tender with or without the coal side raves, then go for it. I don't think that anybody would refuse to buy an etch because it is a slightly different version of a J9/10 to the one they want. I certainly wouldn't and I can be very picky!

21 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

Cadbury No.9 back from Dave Studley superbly (and very quickly) painted.

IMG_6090small.jpg.77ae66dae4180acefad00c4eb7b30c57.jpg

Safely delivered to Don this afternoon, only  a little late for his birthday.

t.jpg.0b910896fdbee7e74fc02f35ff6b3ab5.jpg

t3.jpg

Thanks Mike, excellent job.  Cadbury No.9 was on the inspection pit at Hunslet ready to be sent off on the day that Dad visited the works as a prospective apprentice, so it has a special memory for him.

Regards,

Christopher

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Arthur Keen's cab more or less finished now.

IMG_0921.JPG.5b8d4697755427fd72e6830b0f19492f.JPG

IMG_0922.JPG.4e50a896860439da5b8531f945c0ef31.JPG

Buffer beams are wood, sandwiched between two steel plates - the fancy coupler pocket is etched on the outer face, pivoted coupling hooks on this loco.

The reverser is a bit speculative, it's a modified version of our Hunslet etch, fretted out to an open configuration. I can see this in another contemporary GKN loco so it may be correct. One of the snags with the photos of these locos is that there is someone standing in the cab doorway in every one.

The roof overhangs what I take to be a locker on the cab back, beading added round the opening with 26swg soft brass wire. The handbrake is what is shown in the T. L. Jones drawing - they are usually pretty accurate and I certainly don't have anything else.

• Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

The handbrake is what is shown in the T. L. Jones drawing - they are usually pretty accurate and I certainly don't have anything else.

It's in a very awkward place!

• RMweb Premium

It certainly is - I wouldn't have put it there! However Mr. Jones was usually right as far as I know. I don't know why they put the reverser partly in the doorway either but I can see this in other GKN locos.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Arthur Keen has moved on quite a bit today.

IMG_0923.JPG.739ff8527e2123b0a276d35d8bd0d41d.JPG

It always seems major progress when the boiler goes on, this one rolled from .010" brass as usual. It looks a bit strange in the firebox area but this loco had a raised round top one, the half etch in the cab front is the shape of this. As usual I had no photos of the top of the tanks so this is also a bit speculative. The fancy plating in front of the smokebox is two layers of etch, interesting how it overhangs the wooden part of the buffer beam. Tank front steps added before the boiler while I could still get to the inside, I put the front handrail on before fitting the boiler as an aid to getting it horizontally aligned. The leading springs are on as well, made up from etched layers, these are on the frames but I wanted to make sure they came through the footplate and looked right under the boiler.

More on the peculiar motion of the LSW C14 - looking at the lifting link the reverser will lift the radius rod when the lever is pushed forward so that might be why it was done the opposite way to conventional. Comparison with the slightly larger S14s shows the lifting link in front of the expansion link - and this time the return crank points the way you would expect.

• Like 14