Michael Edge's workbench

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Still not been out to the big lathe but another job started - and halted.

2117864161_19-03framesandfootplate.JPG.89644b2289f9eb0f45f8c4685d89f260.JPG

This looked a nice interesting job, a London Road (ex George Norton) kit for a Kirtley 0-4-4T. Slightly complicated by being built in P4 but there proved to be just enough room in the splashers for the Sharman wheels, which are somewhat unusually, absolutely perfect. However it's going to be No. 793  in original condition and it became more and more apparent that the kit doesn't really cater for this. I had to add the compensating beam but that wasn't too difficult, problems came above the footplate. The original cabless configuration has the spectacle sheet at the back end of the firebox with shorter side sheets as well - and there simply isn't enough boiler since it stops where the later cab front goes. I don't have a photo of the front of 793 either and I don't know what sort of smokebox door(s) it should have. If anyone knows any more about this please let me know.

I was pleased with the way the frames went together though, I don't usually use hornblock systems but this was designed round them - not with springs but a simple compensating beam inside each frame plate. The bogie axles are compensated  in the same way and it works really well.

So with that stopped I needed something quick and easy.

1454965947_18-14partslaidout.JPG.426f3bce880bbb2695d18b94a0e816d5.JPG

This is the excellent Craftsman kit for the YE 02 0-4-0DH. A few hours work sees all the component parts here laid out - the engine casing and cab back peg neatly into the footplate, the cab interior builds up on the floor and drops in after painting and glazing. The cab roof will be glued on last. It's powered by an n20 motor and spur gearbox, driving the trailing axle through plastic bevel gears, the final drive gear already fitted to the Gibson axle. As an experiment I've scribed the cab back with the lines for the wasp stripes - I'll see how well this works when I paint it. 

1208089978_18-14enginecasingoff.JPG.ff03f54a86ae6a5d00e0c255ac764c73.JPG

With the casing off the motor fits in much the same position as the full size loco's Rolls Royce engine. This view shows the rebates to take the glazing formed by the two layers of the cab ends, window glazing has already been cut for these. The white metal buffers in the kit aren't very good, replaced by some turned ones with our large heads fitted.

1786130834_18-14completedframe.JPG.166a2c1d1e76407c819eb5de43fb8045.JPG

The bevel gears are a push fit on the axle and gearbox shaft after boring out to 1/8th" and 3mm respectively. To disengage the drive, as seen in the above photo, the first bevel gear is simply slid back along the shaft. Nothing fancy about the motor fitting, the gearbox frames are the same width as the frame and are simply soldered in place.

1360643495_18-14br.JPG.6175ba32a950d2e882385ad200d0661d.JPG

Everything together, some handrails, lamps and the radiator grille to be fitted after painting which it is now ready for - after a good clean and grit blast.

It's a shame Craftsman kits aren't available at the moment (I don't know who has them now) because they are all excellent and very easy to build. Some ideas from these kits went into my own designs a long time ago, starting with the use of .015" brass instead of the usual .012" or less - fitting casing doors separately was another good idea from these.

• Like 15
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium

I have the Midland 0-4-4T (or one of them) that George Norton built from the kit. We used to borrow it to run it on Narrow Road at shows and I bought it from the family when George died.

In EM, the clearances in the splashers are almost non existent. I guess the narrower P4 wheels help slightly. After running it for a while, it developed a short, which turned out to be from the wheels wearing the insulating layer of paint off the inside of the splashers.  The bearings had worn slightly allowing the wheels to move around just too much. There isn't room for a layer of 10 thou plasticard or even a layer of paper between wheel and splasher each side without it catching.

I really don't fancy stripping it down to replace the bearings or just painting again but I think a smear of epoxy might work. I was so frustrated with it that it went back in a display case and has been there for years.

Good luck with yours. They are a really unusual and lovely loco.

Edited by t-b-g
  • Like 2

I have two DJH whitemetal examples, one an un-built kit the other a built example of eBay which the vendor thought was EM but it is actually P4 with turned up Romfords!

Research showed that the vertical pillar on the side windows is actually the rearmost edge of the front window which has a protective metal or plastic bead on it. Further  research showed that only the BR examples (either in BR or private hands) had the footwell commode handles the machines built for private service not having these features.

Barrow Hill has a splendidly restored example and when I was there a year last December they were in the process of re-engining another with lots of huffing and puffing. Not an easy job with very limited access. The NRM's example, which once served at Newton Heath and Salford Docks I believe, is generally not available for viewing.

I'll try dig out the pictures

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Edited by PenrithBeacon
Pictures added
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, PenrithBeacon said:

I have two DJH whitemetal examples, one an un-built kit the other a built example of eBay which the vendor thought was EM but it is actually P4 with turned up Romfords!

Research showed that the vertical pillar on the side windows is actually the rearmost edge of the front window which has a protective metal or plastic bead on it. Further  research showed that only the BR examples (either in BR or private hands) had the footwell commode handles the machines built for private service not having these features.

Barrow Hill has a splendidly restored example and when I was there a year last December they were in the process of re-engining another with lots of huffing and puffing. Not an easy job with very limited access. The NRM's example, which once served at Newton Heath and Salford Docks I believe, is generally not available for viewing.

I'll try dig out the pictures

Thanks for the photos, YE  specifically designed the 02 for BR, it isn't the same as any of the standard industrials. The RR C6 engine location is a little unusual, sloping steeply down towards the final drive on the trailing axle but YE followed this in the last two 0-6-0s they built (one of these preserved at Elsecar). The loco at the NRM isn't so much preserved as still working - it was acquired for shunting duties there which it still does as far as I know.

In answer to Down Under we have no immediate plans for any YE 0-4-0s but design work on the DE2 0-6-0 is advancing.

• RMweb Premium
19 minutes ago, Michael Edge said:

The RR C6 engine location is a little unusual, sloping steeply down towards the final drive on the trailing axle

How did they get the oil to stay in the right place Mike?

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, PenrithBeacon said:

The running number is in-appropriate for a green engine

They were only ever green in BR days so the number is ok, unless you mean that this particular loco wasn't renumbered into TOPS whilst in BR service?

Mike.

• RMweb Premium

Marvelous work on this topic Mike, very impressive.  One quick question:  Just how many locos have you got on the go at any one time?

All the best, Dave.

• RMweb Premium

I can see seven on the test track shelf just now.... (but three are actually finished and waiting for the paintshop)

There will be more tucked away in boxes in what one of my customers refers to as the "European kit mountain". It is complicated because some are for me, some are prototypes for Judith while others are just work but I do always have plenty on the go at any one time - it's the variety that keeps me going.

Don't forget the layout under construction out in the shed either - and at the moment I can't get to the two layout building jobs underway. I don't suffer much from boredom most of the time.

• Like 9
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 19/06/2020 at 09:01, Enterprisingwestern said:

They were only ever green in BR days so the number is ok, unless you mean that this particular loco wasn't renumbered into TOPS whilst in BR service?

Mike.

It's a bit clean compared to how it looked in BR condition, but the livery is definitely right for this particular engine. 

02003 - YE Class 02 0-4-0DH Shunter - built 10/60 by Yorkshire Engine Co. as D2853 - 1973 to 02003 - withdrawn 06/75 - preserved - seen here at Allerton TMD.

• Like 10
  • Agree 1

I have very vague memories of them at Allerton. 

At Southport we had one of the industrial versions masquerading as a BR one.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/76178881@N07/7074371887/in/pool-shunters/

It came from Pilkingtons and is now at Preston.

https://ribblesteam.org.uk/exhibits/diesel/yorkshire-2677-1960-d2870/

Jason

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

There used to be a daily pick up goods that originated at Southport and travelled up the Liverpool /Southport line shunting the sidings at each station- long gone obviously but after the end of steam the 02s worked it for a while. I lived at Ainsdale at the time . It would trundle up about lunchtime, usually only 2 or3 wagons in tow.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 19/06/2020 at 09:01, Enterprisingwestern said:

Mike.

I understand that 02001-4 were painted blue on renumbering in the TOPS system. I'd be grateful for photos of them in BR service as 02001-4.

EDIT photo above shows 02003 in green, thanks for that.

Cheers

Edited by PenrithBeacon

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, PenrithBeacon said:

I understand that 02001-4 were painted blue on renumbering in the TOPS system. I'd be grateful for photos of them in BR service as 02001-4.

Cheers

None were ever painted blue whilst in BR service, the nearest to that is one of the Pensnett ones was repainted by the new owners.

A Google search will throw up pictures of the locos you seek.

Mike.