Michael Edge's workbench

• RMweb Premium
On 04/08/2020 at 07:56, Michael Edge said:

378819947_testtrack08-20.jpg.0abc3b98fbf3e584b7ead24b8a52f21c.jpg

Leeds United might get finished this week. 

I wouldn't mind seeing a photo of this loco when you've finished it please, Mike, is it from your own etchings ? A kit for this loco has been mentioned recently by another 3mm Society member but I don't know what the origins of it will be, it may well be of his own design.

Regards,

Ian.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'll put some more on when it's finished ready to paint, it is all etched but the bits aren't all in the same place. I did the original etch to build some for Andrew Comben but had to juggle about to get enough for this one - I did the etches for the GE style tender as well.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

TT B17 now finished.

IMG_0973.JPG.21da26c679205a98fce1d5e43093c06e.JPG

It's powered with a motor and gearbox from High Level, this is the 10x20 motor Chris is selling now in place of the Mashima, works very well in this on a Roadrunner gearbox.

IMG_0970.JPG.ea5c7563078c802aecf61437261caeb8.JPG

Driving wheels are old Romfords, flangeless on centre axle to cope with TT curves, bogie wheels Markits and some unidentified disc wheels on the tender. The motor is all in the firebox.

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

• RMweb Premium

Marvellous, thanks for the photos and information Mike .....and I can't think of a better name to adorn it with ! ;)

Regards,

Ian.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Back on page 5

I have so many locos needing power bogies due to age or design. (Lima EE or Mainline Peak)

I did build a Lowrider but not suitable for a loco but fine for DMU.

Was thinking of a couple of spare Hornby EE bogies under a Lima 50 but those 40 bogies are nice.

• RMweb Premium

Fitted a couple of the new "DGs for deep bufferbeam locos" Mike gave me on my Ruston

on the front

pusher_coupling_on_Ruston.JPG.73d67f8f44454c86e36bd08042056e14.JPG

and  on the rear

Rear_coupling_on_Ruston.JPG.2721badc30a606d63f3e5c4fd0ce4073.JPG

Easy to make and fit.. and they work!

Baz

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, MJI said:

Back on page 5

I have so many locos needing power bogies due to age or design. (Lima EE or Mainline Peak)

Was thinking of a couple of spare Hornby EE bogies under a Lima 50 but those 40 bogies are nice.

They do look very good, I have the silver fox Sr 10201 and 10203 kits and they look ideal. Perhaps Mike might design an etch for them? 

• RMweb Gold
On 08/08/2020 at 13:00, Michael Edge said:

TT B17 now finished.

IMG_0973.JPG.21da26c679205a98fce1d5e43093c06e.JPG

It's powered with a motor and gearbox from High Level, this is the 10x20 motor Chris is selling now in place of the Mashima, works very well in this on a Roadrunner gearbox.

IMG_0970.JPG.ea5c7563078c802aecf61437261caeb8.JPG

Driving wheels are old Romfords, flangeless on centre axle to cope with TT curves, bogie wheels Markits and some unidentified disc wheels on the tender. The motor is all in the firebox.

Looks good Mike. I'm intrigued by the wheels, are they standard Romford on special axles or did Romford do a specific 3mm/TT wheel at one time. I've built several 3mm locos with a few more in the queue (just about to start a batch of S&D 7Fs) and whilst I use them I have to say I'm not a huge fan of the 3mm society wheels.

Jerry

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, rka said:

They do look very good, I have the silver fox Sr 10201 and 10203 kits and they look ideal. Perhaps Mike might design an etch for them? 

I'd have 3 or 6 at EE sizes and 3 or 6 at Peak sizes (may do 6 with 3 unmotored)

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, MJI said:

Don't dismiss the Lowrider.

I installed one in a Judith Edge Clayton and it romped quite happily around Retford with the (not too light) fish train in tow.

What issues did you have?

Mike.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, rka said:

The etch will fit those anyway since couplers are on the bogies. I've sent a pair to Andrew for him to have a look at, one or other of us may put this into production. I'm thinking of modifying the latch to be a fold over the peg, this will look more like a Dingham latch.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, rka said:

Obviously I've answered the wrong question there! 10201 and 10203 have the same bogies as the EE type 4 - easy enough to etch what I've already done. I probably would have done but I thought I didn't have time - turns out I had months to spare....

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Michael Edge said:

Obviously I've answered the wrong question there! 10201 and 10203 have the same bogies as the EE type 4 - easy enough to etch what I've already done. I probably would have done but I thought I didn't have time - turns out I had months to spare....

What about Peaks (all those old Mainline models?)

• RMweb Premium
59 minutes ago, queensquare said:

Looks good Mike. I'm intrigued by the wheels, are they standard Romford on special axles or did Romford do a specific 3mm/TT wheel at one time. I've built several 3mm locos with a few more in the queue (just about to start a batch of S&D 7Fs) and whilst I use them I have to say I'm not a huge fan of the 3mm society wheels.

Jerry

The wheels are old Romfords, machined down to 20mm. They may well have been 21mm ones but they came out of my 3mm spares box, already turned down a bit. This needs doing with care as the heat from machining can get the tyre to come off the insulated ones if you go too quick or take too deep a cut. Romford did make 3mm wheels at one time but I've not used many of them. Depending on the wheel you want Gibson wheels are OK for TT but there are sometimes problems with excessive crankthrow or not enough spokes. I've only built two locos (14.2mm gauge) with the society wheels and I didn't like them at all.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Michael Edge said:

Hi Mike, if mji is interested as well and is happy to share the cost would it be possible to get some made please? 

Kind regards Richard 

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

The wheels are old Romfords, machined down to 20mm. They may well have been 21mm ones but they came out of my 3mm spares box, already turned down a bit. This needs doing with care as the heat from machining can get the tyre to come off the insulated ones if you go too quick or take too deep a cut. Romford did make 3mm wheels at one time but I've not used many of them. Depending on the wheel you want Gibson wheels are OK for TT but there are sometimes problems with excessive crankthrow or not enough spokes. I've only built two locos (14.2mm gauge) with the society wheels and I didn't like them at all.

Thanks Mike that's useful. I did a Brighton Atlantic in 14.2 earlier this year with Association wheels and it was a pain to get the wheels on true.

The S&D 7Fs (three are 12mm and one 14.2) have much smaller wheels so should pose fewer problems but, like you I don't rate the 3mm Association wheels at all.

jerry

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I am getting very despondent on RTR mechanisms, I have two Bachmann steamers to fix, I know a few of my Diesels are on limilted time (MAZAK). It seems anything not big pancake (Lima / Hornby) or X04 is life limited,

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Barry O said:

Fitted a couple of the new "DGs for deep bufferbeam locos" Mike gave me on my Ruston

on the front

and  on the rear

Easy to make and fit.. and they work!

Baz

Doesn't the peg need to be vertical Baz? Otherwise it might cause the next vehicle to ride up when pushing.

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Doesn't the peg need to be vertical Baz? Otherwise it might cause the next vehicle to ride up when pushing.

The backface is ..it has a slight angle on the front..but it works fine..

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

The peg (it's not a hook) isn't vertical, it has to be angled back slightly to let the loop ride up over it. I had to guess this angle on the etch but it seems to work perfectly - the peg is parallel by the way, anything else is an illusion.

15 hours ago, rka said:

Hi Mike, if mji is interested as well and is happy to share the cost would it be possible to get some made please? 

Kind regards Richard 

No reason why not, the drawing is all done, just not for etching. It would be later in the autumn now though at the earliest.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Michael Edge said:

No reason why not, the drawing is all done, just not for etching. It would be later in the autumn now though at the earliest.

Hi Mike, 

That sounds fine to me. 

Best regards Richard