Michael Edge's workbench

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Pebbles said:

Hi Mike,

Many years ago Iain Rice advocated using steel strapping for 4mm frames. I was always dubious and bothered about the possible effect  on the open frame motors. On one engine I built with a steel cab pins and small nails become attached to the cab.

I've been using this steel sheet for 44 years now, never had any magnetic problems.

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

Phosphoric acid flux and keep the steel clean. The acid tends to produce a crusty layer on it which is why I mentioned that repeated cleaning up is required. The steel shim is very nice material to work with though, stays flat even ta these thicknesses and presses out into neat rivets.

Interesting that, my steel joining has been either fixings or welding, Ithought it was judt too hard to solder, but then I had forgotten I have braised it at school.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Too much on the test track for one photo today.

IMG_0492.jpg.37ac8fb2fd47a75bc918bed2aacd7d87.jpg

The Midland 2F is well on the way to completion now, probably next week. The Peckett 0-6-0ST was a minor repair job (brush gear drowned in oil - not completely dead as the customer thought), the S&D 4-4-0 is another repair.  I built this back in 1989 (scratchbuilt) and Larry Goddard painted it. No movement on the locos in the background at the moment.

IMG_0493.jpg.7d55febaa84dc618b91d0ce5e119e572.jpg

Yet another O4, Hecate and the B7 complete today's line up - more on the Maltby wagon (just poking in at the left) in the Wentworth Junction thread.

• Like 19

3 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

SR Ashford 350hp, work on class 11 was abandoned when an rtr model was announced.

But you are still intending to do a kit for SR Shunter 15201 -15203 ??   PLEASE ....   

Also a shame the Class 11 has been abandoned ... I would always have a couple ....

Ian

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

That's what it is - Ashford's version of the early EE twin motor design, the LMS, WD and GW ones were built by Hawthorn Leslie. These big DEs involve a lot of work, not much point when the rtr announcement (they don't even need to actually produce one) destroys much of our market.

• Friendly/supportive 4

25 minutes ago, Michael Edge said:

That's what it is - Ashford's version of the early EE twin motor design, the LMS, WD and GW ones were built by Hawthorn Leslie. These big DEs involve a lot of work, not much point when the rtr announcement (they don't even need to actually produce one) destroys much of our market.

Apologies don't understand your reply ...  so you are still going ahead with 15201 - 15203 ?

Excuse if I have missed the obvious ...

Ian 

• RMweb Premium
On 13/03/2021 at 21:23, Michael Edge said:

15201 - 3 were the three Southern 350hp twin motor 0-6-0DEs (SR 1, 2 & 3) built at Ashford in 1937 - i.e that's what you see in my photo. There'll be more on the kits thread as and when I get back to it.

Are there any more steam ones you are planning to do?

• RMweb Premium

Next steam loco is likely to be the LSW C14 but these aren't usually planned as such - more a case of spin off from my own work. There is an overall plan for diesel and electric locos but it is likely to change at any moment depending on all sorts of circumstances.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1