Michael Edge's workbench

• RMweb Gold
On 23/04/2021 at 16:24, Michael Edge said:

I don't know what the fitting is on the smokebox though.

It's possible they might be lubricators. The LMS 3F tanks originally had similar looking devices fitted on the smokebox, albeit slightly lower down, referred to as Furness lubricators.

• RMweb Premium
On 26/04/2021 at 19:37, Nickey Line said:

It's possible they might be lubricators. The LMS 3F tanks originally had similar looking devices fitted on the smokebox, albeit slightly lower down, referred to as Furness lubricators.

Not the lubricators, they are on both sides, the fitting I mean is on the LH side only with a rod from the cab.

On 26/04/2021 at 20:34, Jack P said:

Mike, 

I've seen you mention how you make 'Rivets' before, but I can't seem to find the specifics. Could you enlighten me please?

Hecate looks fantastic by the way!

Rivets are made with Plastic Padding Super Steel epoxy, mix in small amounts (it goes off very quickly) and apply with a cocktail stick. Try to get the same amount on each time, it shrinks to a hemispherical shape as it goes off,

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

I suspect the fitting on the LH (Fireman's ?) side is a "Blower valve" to enable a positive draught when the regulator is shut and the vacuum ejector - RH side - is not ejecting. It stops the cab getting filled with smoke or a blow-back - the later being most unwelcome especially if you are cooking lunch, but you don't want too much draught or the best parts of the pig end up cremated on the tube-plate.

regards

Chris H

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

9 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

Rivets are made with Plastic Padding Super Steel epoxy, mix in small amounts (it goes off very quickly) and apply with a cocktail stick. Try to get the same amount on each time, it shrinks to a hemispherical shape as it goes off,

Thanks for that, I haven't been able to locate it in NZ yet (not online anyway).. I might give JB weld a go, seems like a similar product.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Metropolitan H said:

I suspect the fitting on the LH (Fireman's ?) side is a "Blower valve" to enable a positive draught when the regulator is shut and the vacuum ejector - RH side - is not ejecting. It stops the cab getting filled with smoke or a blow-back - the later being most unwelcome especially if you are cooking lunch, but you don't want too much draught or the best parts of the pig end up cremated on the tube-plate.

regards

Chris H

Yes - but the control is from the fireman's side, unusual for the blower.

4 hours ago, Jack P said:

Thanks for that, I haven't been able to locate it in NZ yet (not online anyway).. I might give JB weld a go, seems like a similar product.

I've not seen it anywhere outside the UK but it's the only epoxy I know with this property and there's one with the same name sold by Loctite which doesn't do it. I originally bought it for something else, only discovered the "rivet" possibility by accident. It is possible to do something similar with PVA glue though, I've seen it done on wagons built from Plastikard.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 24/04/2021 at 00:54, Michael Edge said:

Hecate is now complete.

IMG_0543.jpg.57c85d6ed31edd083d2c511e4d688588.jpgIMG_0544.jpg.111c7b071cfb17773ac3958b13edf9eb.jpg

Two photos this morning with the frames painted black - the control rod on the LH side needs straightening, I don't know what the fitting is on the smokebox though. One more last minute job when I noticed that at some time it had acquired extensions to the cab steps, the lifting links on the tank tops were another last minute addition. I can only see two of these in the photos so I'm not sure how they would have been used.

IMG_0545.jpg.998242858c89c92a26fc11e17195670d.jpg

Coupling and connecting rods fitted, it still hadn't been run under its own power at this stage.

IMG_0546.jpg.925e5652660caf2ef8cbefbea06c7f34.jpg

All complete, pickups and wiring added and it's now running, out ot the shed for a proper test on Wentworth Junction then a good scrub and grit last, buffers fitted and it will be ready for painting.

That is drop dead gorgeous.

Rgds........Mike

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

Yes - but the control is from the fireman's side, unusual for the blower.

I....................

My experience differs, The blower generally being on the Fireman's side - he is the one who needs to open the fire-doors and ensure the generation of steam to meet the needs. The Driver just uses the steam to go and stop - and if he is any good he also supervises / teaches / coaches the Firemen, but I have met Drivers who would say that is not their job!

I still think it is the blower valve.

Regards
Chris H

• Like 1

Whilst it may be in this case (I'm not familiar enough with Hecate to be sure) most LMS locos had the blower valve in the middle of the backhead above the firehole so it could be reached by either crew member. On the BR standards it was on the pedestal by the driver's right hand.  The driver had to have control of the blower for when he shut off or on entering a tunnel to prevent blow-backs.

Ray.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Metropolitan H said:

regards

Chris H

That might be the case on some locos. On the LMS it was in the middle of the cab, GW and BR locos are on the drivers side as it is the case on the LNER and SR locos I have been on . There are of course exceptions like the West Countries where the linkage goes across the cab.  

As you say it is down to the driver when they shut off, and it is drilled in that before you shut the regulator for the driver to make sure the blower is on to prevent a blow back.

However I am not up on Industrial engines. In the case of this one it looks very much like the blower pipe is on the fireman's side.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Gentlemen,

Some more digging has revealed that the fitting on the LH side of Hecate's smoke-box from November 1939 onwards, was the blower valve.

Locomotives of the Southern Railway (Part 1) by D L Bradley (Page 50), says that Hecate’s fiebox failed in November 1939 and a replacement boiler was fitted at Eastleigh. This was a spare Marsh D-tank boiler (BE803) which had its barrel lengthened by 2ft 4in - presumably by inserting an extra barrel ring between the dome and the clack valve blanking plates just back from the smokebox (?). The LB&SCR was a LH drive railway.

Mike is aware of this information.

Regards

Chris H

Edited by Metropolitan H
Correction to read "Blower valve".

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Metropolitan H said:

Gentlemen,

Some more digging has revealed that the fitting on the LH side of Hecate's smoke-box from November 1939 onwards, was the blower valve.

Locomotives of the Southern Railway (Part 1) by D L Bradley (Page 50), says that Hecate’s fiebox failed in November 1939 and a replacement boiler was fitted at Eastleigh. This was a spare Marsh D-tank boiler (BE803) which had its barrel lengthened by 2ft 4in - presumably by inserting an extra barrel ring between the dome and the clack valve blanking plates just back from the smokebox (?). The LB&SCR was a LH drive railway.

Mike is aware of this information.

Regards

Chris H

That fits with the position of the dome which looks curiously far back, cladding bands seem to be in the same positions though. The clack valve fittings must have been on the LBSC boiler, Hecate never had clacks here.

• Agree 1

On 29/04/2021 at 17:41, Michael Edge said:

I've not seen it anywhere outside the UK but it's the only epoxy I know with this property and there's one with the same name sold by Loctite which doesn't do it. I originally bought it for something else, only discovered the "rivet" possibility by accident. It is possible to do something similar with PVA glue though, I've seen it done on wagons built from Plastikard.

I've had a friend in the UK pick me up two packets and send them over, looking forward to giving it a go.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
36 minutes ago, Michael Edge said:

Finally my own Q4 for Wentworth Junction.

Wonderful work Michael. Particularly liked "Hecate".

Pleased to see that the Q4 has the correct shaped firebox cladding......

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

yes it is far, far too clean.. not done a proper filthy Mexborough loco for a while.. might treat my Robbie 04 to a lot more grot...

Looking forwards to it!

Baz

• Like 1