Michael Edge's workbench

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Michael Edge said:

There weren't many clean Q4s about and this one is a Mexborough loco....

Barnsley (36D) I thought. Still filthy though!

Simon

6 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

Three locos finished this week, first Hecate.

IMG_1209.JPG.c29e0a478cbe1c8a3a2df4e09abb90a6.JPG

IMG_1211.JPG.d03dd8e8b9eddd3decadfe52fa3aacca.JPG

Next, one of our Sentinel 0-6-DH kits built as the RMC one with compressor, additional air reservoir and hinged cab doors.

IMG_1204.JPG.72bc6339643428bcb7e118ec6fc295f5.JPG

IMG_1206.JPG.504b3029082a87fd72d17fa8f01995d0.JPG

Finally my own Q4 for Wentworth Junction.

IMG_0586.jpg.4acc58c89c31e1f8c6ca11a7e239cca9.jpg

Seen here fresh out of Gorton on will be its usual job, the colliery trip to Barnsley Junction.

IMG_0587.jpg.6b316c3a7ddb2dea73bfaf51d3d73ba5.jpg

Superpower at the back today, 69999 was the next loco available at the junction - this is the twin motored one of the two available on the layout at the moment.

63200 won't stay clean for very long, after testing on the layout it will off to Barry for a thorough weathering job.

Love the 'Tiny' Mike.
Lovely job.
Regards,
Chris.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, 65179 said:

Barnsley (36D) I thought. Still filthy though!

Simon

Yes you're right but I don't think theirs were any cleaner. I think this trip was usually worked from Barnsley although the WJ bankers came from Mexborough.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 17/05/2021 at 17:58, Michael Edge said:

Yes you're right but I don't think theirs were any cleaner.

You've probably seen it Mike, but for Barry's benefit when he comes to do the weathering, there's a shot of 63220 on Barnsley shed in the colourrail.co.uk collection (reference 96797 - sadly only b&w). Most other  photos I've seen of 63220 are after withdrawal.

Simon

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Glad it's useful. In that case this one confirms that the buffers have straight shanks rather than the stepped ones fitted to some O4s:

https://thetransportlibrary.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=93053&search=63220

Both photos show a lowered top lamp bracket as well.

Simon

Edited by 65179
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Michael Edge said:

Bu66er!

Yes, they are GC buffers, I got that right at least. I'm not  going to put that bend in the footplate though, that's more characteristic of 2-8-0s.

The postal service might put the bend in for you...

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Mol_PMB said:

The postal service might put the bend in for you...

No Ican do that while weathering is in progress :jester:

Baz

• Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

63220 all ready for a coat of filth now.

IMG_0589.jpg.df32b321c99a4895ab78b024a157408d.jpg

If there's anything else wrong about it I don't want to know.....

The only thing wrong with it is that it isn't in the glorious lined out GCR black livery!

Apart from that, she looks great.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
57 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

The only thing wrong with it is that it isn't in the glorious lined out GCR black livery!

I am only weathering it.. not lining it :jester:

Wouldn't say you would see the lining once the weathering is applied....

Baz

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, Barry O said:

I am only weathering it.. not lining it :jester:

Wouldn't say you would see the lining once the weathering is applied....

Baz

I will just leave this here....

https://transportsofdelight.smugmug.com/RAILWAYS/LOCOMOTIVES-OF-LNER-CONSTITUENT-COMPANIES/LOCOMOTIVES-OF-THE-GREAT-CENTRAL-RAILWAY/i-r5C5npq/

Note the polished steel smokebox door handle and the handrail plus the original and much better looking chimney.

Not all freight locos were always filthy all the time.

I have a much modified Millholme kit in this livery but mine is a bit muckier than the photo. Mine even made the front cover of MRJ (No. 193)!

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, t-b-g said:

I will just leave this here....

https://transportsofdelight.smugmug.com/RAILWAYS/LOCOMOTIVES-OF-LNER-CONSTITUENT-COMPANIES/LOCOMOTIVES-OF-THE-GREAT-CENTRAL-RAILWAY/i-r5C5npq/

Note the polished steel smokebox door handle and the handrail plus the original and much better looking chimney.

Not all freight locos were always filthy all the time.

I have a much modified Millholme kit in this livery but mine is a bit muckier than the photo. Mine even made the front cover of MRJ (No. 193)!

Where's the vacuum ejector pipe on that one Tony? Later the Q4s had it tucked behind the handrail on that side.

Regards,

Simon

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, t-b-g said:

Not my era, I like (and remember) the grubby 1950s - and don't forget this is going to be working on "Britain's new electric railway". This was supposed to be the future when I was a young trainspotter.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 65179 said:

Where's the vacuum ejector pipe on that one Tony? Later the Q4s had it tucked behind the handrail on that side.

Regards,

Simon

I am struggling to remember where I saw it but I once read that the  Robinson boilers had internal ejector pipes when they were saturated but that the pipes were put on the outside when the boilers were superheated. I certainly have photos of J11s with no visible pipes in their early years. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Michael Edge said:

Not my era, I like (and remember) the grubby 1950s - and don't forget this is going to be working on "Britain's new electric railway". This was supposed to be the future when I was a young trainspotter.

I appreciate that Mike and I quite understand your preferences. I don't have the 1950s memories to base my modelling on, or indeed any significant memories of steam at all as I wasn't around. So I just chose a period when I thought they looked at their best to model.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Latest test track photo, just before Hecate and the Sentinel left.

1599138921_testtrack16-05-21.jpg.c1a5b22a7bbc5fd25435df14cd2d14ef.jpg

Not much change with what's in the background, the J10  is in for a possible motor change - it has a D11 which is a bit feeble and a wobbly wheel somewhere. 7050 is still waiting for its proper wheels.

• Like 10

• 2 weeks later...

Mike

A further loco here built from your etches. As you say, much better than "maturing" in a cupboard.

1880's Hunslet contractors ST (minus firebox, currently being painted). I've cheated here and there by incorporating a few bits from the MRJ Manning Wardle F class detailing pack, but I won't tell if you don't...

IMG_20210602_131509.jpg.c680452ced02e7b62c1daf7c52f4e159.jpg

Thanks again, 

Paul A. 

Edited by rope runner
  • Like 18
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1