Michael Edge's workbench

• RMweb Premium

Back to work last week with the next job, an LMS 2P from Gibson and Comet parts - plus a fair bit of scratchbuilding to compensate for what was missing.

IMG_0641.jpg.df8ec590c9fcd6796d9f077cd2cceb02.jpg

This is mostly the Gibson etch but the frames were missing so I've cut new ones from .020" steel, the ashpan sides are used as compensating beams connecting the driving axles. The incorrect outside frame round the vertical windows has been filed off - these frames are on the inside of the cab.

IMG_0642.jpg.bce10dca0638b64ede5f9bafad2fc12b.jpg

These brass etches have obviously been stored for many years and are very tarnished - however no attempt was made to clean them and they solder together perfectly well with phosphoric acid flux.

• Like 14
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

With my one time apprentice over from Jersey this week the big lathe gets some more unusual use.

IMG_0640s.jpg.407c1dee32494b75fce1722ad1b46353.jpg

One of four Hillman Imp brake drums being machined on a hub fitted in the 4 jaw chuck - this is only a medium sized job for the venerable Milnes lathe. Makes a change from its usual work of machining gauge 1 boiler fittings.

David has also been busy back home with a 7mm loco, pictures on the Judith Edge kit thread.

• Like 10
  • Funny 1

3 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

Back to work last week with the next job, an LMS 2P from Gibson and Comet parts - plus a fair bit of scratchbuilding to compensate for what was missing.

IMG_0641.jpg.df8ec590c9fcd6796d9f077cd2cceb02.jpg

This is mostly the Gibson etch but the frames were missing so I've cut new ones from .020" steel, the ashpan sides are used as compensating beams connecting the driving axles. The incorrect outside frame round the vertical windows has been filed off - these frames are on the inside of the cab.

IMG_0642.jpg.bce10dca0638b64ede5f9bafad2fc12b.jpg

These brass etches have obviously been stored for many years and are very tarnished - however no attempt was made to clean them and they solder together perfectly well with phosphoric acid flux.

Any particular reason for not cleaning them up whilst nice and flat on the etch?

Edited by doilum

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, doilum said:

Any particular reason for not cleaning them up whilst nice and flat on the etch?

Not required for soldering, mike gives locos a quick sand blast before painting (or a similar technique)

Baz

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, doilum said:

It's a waste of time - that was my point here, I do this for a living as well as for fun. It will get scrubbed and grit blasted before painting but there's no need to polish the surface.

• Informative/Useful 2

20 minutes ago, Michael Edge said:

It's a waste of time - that was my point here, I do this for a living as well as for fun. It will get scrubbed and grit blasted before painting but there's no need to polish the surface.

Another reason I should have bought a blast cabinet years ago. Brake calipers, inlet manifolds..............

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, JeffP said:

OK, this is probably a daft question, but surely leaving the etches tarnished will help the paint stick?

I've often wondered that. And wasn't there something in Model Rail years ago by a bloke who prepared his loco for painting by deliberately tarnishing it as much as possible - albeit chemically rather finger-printically. The model was a J94 if I remember. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

39 minutes ago, JeffP said:

OK, this is probably a daft question, but surely leaving the etches tarnished will help the paint stick?

22 minutes ago, Daddyman said:

I've often wondered that. And wasn't there something in Model Rail years ago by a bloke who prepared his loco for painting by deliberately tarnishing it as much as possible - albeit chemically rather finger-printically. The model was a J94 if I remember. 

Tarnishing is like a scab, so you are spraying onto a loose surface, and chemically tarnishing is another word for etch primer I would have thought?

Mike.

• RMweb Premium

I wouldn't say that tarnish on brass is a loose surface - it would be a lot easier to get off if it was.

Most painters will tell you that shiny polished brass is much harder to paint on, according to Larry Goddard the most difficult of all were the gold plated Jubilees which came from Hong Kong in the 1980s.

• Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

I believe Beeson preferred painting onto a tarnished surface. Seems like a good recommendation to me.

Also I find no need to polish surfaces up before soldering unless excessively tarnished. Your flux is acid and does a great job of cleaning. That's what it's for.

Nick

• Informative/Useful 3