Michael Edge's workbench

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

The owner's father was one of the very early pioneers of EM gauge in the 1940's and this terminus is part of his work.

10 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

It still needs some fettling of the pointwork and wiring but it does run. I'll atke some photos next time I go over there.

Sounds like you just need to press on with it.

Am I getting warm?

On 19/08/2021 at 16:56, polybear said:

I'm also looking at the Greenwood product, which seems to be a very nice piece of kit;

What is it about turntable kit producers? I too am very interested in Greenwood's kits; I have left several phone messages and sent emails - but have received zero response.

I am a potential purchaser of a not inexpensive kit, but Greenwood Models seems to have no interest in selling it to me!

Soon - it'll be back to adapting an Airfix turntable kit, if I can't make contact.

As a small trader myself, I cannot understand why producers ignore communication.

John Isherwood.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, cctransuk said:

What is it about turntable kit producers? I too am very interested in Greenwood's kits; I have left several phone messages and sent emails - but have received zero response.

How does it go now - ah yes - Book, Play, Film, T-shirt....

Oh, hang on....still trying to buy the T-shirt.....:banghead:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

I can't understand it either, we do point out that we aren't always here to answer the phone (only a landline) but we always answer emails from wherever we are - and usually every day even when we are on holiday.

Precisely - I post a bold notice on my website, in advance, when I am going to be away for more than a weekend.

Even then, if I get e-mail enquiries, I reply the same day - including from Australasia!

It only takes a couple of minutes, after all.

John Isherwood.

• Like 3

Mike Greenwood is a busy man at present so I suggest you try to reach him by phone.

Unfortunately small traders failing to respond to email enquiries is commonplace. It would be a benefit all round if more of them took John's advice to advertise their contact status.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

16 hours ago, dpgibbons said:

Mike Greenwood is a busy man at present so I suggest you try to reach him by phone.

Unfortunately small traders failing to respond to email enquiries is commonplace. It would be a benefit all round if more of them took John's advice to advertise their contact status.

I am increasingly coming to the conclusion that many 'small traders' prefer the design and production of their products to the hassle of selling them, and having to deal with customers.

That being the case, one has to wonder why they bothered to develop those products - other than for their own use.

All such 'can't be ar*ed' operations achieve is frustration and bad feeling.

If you're too busy, say so ; all it needs is a note on the website to the effect that no orders can be taken for ???? months.

Potential customers can then decide whether to wait or not.

CJI.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium

Perhaps the most charitable interpretation is a 'biting off more than they can chew' one - people start off with good intentions but events take over, time disappears and next thing you know, enquiries go unanswered...:mellow:

Edited by Chas Levin

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Michael Edge said:

Can we please get back to my workshop now.

O4/5 63745 finished and ready to paint now.

IMG_0787.jpg.5293e76f9510372a0bff3d4c122e0602.jpg

There's plenty of variety among these GC 2-8-0s, O4/5 is one we haven't had before, a rebuild with a Gresley boiler and new smokebox on a saddle. The reversing screw had to be moved outwards on these resulting in the small step out in the cab side. 63745 ran with an ex ROD tender, no water scoop and the coal plate moved back on this JE tender. The loco uses some of my own etches with a brass boiler and steel cab and smokebox..

I now have to work out how to paint the frames since the original builder made no provision for the crossheads to pull out back past the motion bracket. I can get the coupling rods off but not the connecting rods so they might have to be masked. I've had these frames for more than 30 years, it's taken a long time to get round to using them but it does run very well.

Thats lovely Mike, I do like a good, rugged eight coupled freight loco

Jerry

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

Can we please get back to my workshop now.

O4/5 63745 finished and ready to paint now.

IMG_0787.jpg.5293e76f9510372a0bff3d4c122e0602.jpg

There's plenty of variety among these GC 2-8-0s, O4/5 is one we haven't had before, a rebuild with a Gresley boiler and new smokebox on a saddle. The reversing screw had to be moved outwards on these resulting in the small step out in the cab side. 63745 ran with an ex ROD tender, no water scoop and the coal plate moved back on this JE tender. The loco uses some of my own etches with a brass boiler and steel cab and smokebox..

I now have to work out how to paint the frames since the original builder made no provision for the crossheads to pull out back past the motion bracket. I can get the coupling rods off but not the connecting rods so they might have to be masked. I've had these frames for more than 30 years, it's taken a long time to get round to using them but it does run very well.

another GC loco to cause consternation when in Brunswick Shed on Herculaneum Dock....

For anyone who wonders what I mean.. try picking out the correct loco when looking down through the shed beams ..with no side way view available!

Baz

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Barry O said:

another GC loco to cause consternation when in Brunswick Shed on Herculaneum Dock....

For anyone who wonders what I mean.. try picking out the correct loco when looking down through the shed beams ..with no side way view available!

Baz

At least it's got a ROD tender!

Simon

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Well, if you see an ROD tender at least you know it's a 2-8-0.

IMG_0788.jpg.0884266ad00a6c79cc751748249a6cb6.jpg

The thick brass frames look a bit antiquated, also the coupling rods filed up from bullhead rail but it all works and "if it ain't broke don't fix it" - it even has n/s pickups!

The 15mm square motor has more than enough power fitted to the High Level Roadrunner +, it's fairly slow but that hardly matters for its duties on WJ and Herculaneum Dock. On test this morning on WJ it was quite happy on the Northwich - Barrow coke empties (23 + brake) and in the up direction it pulled the heavy mixed goods which defeated the B7 last week. That was at its current light weight of 235g and it not only got to the starting signal but halfway up the hill before it slipped to a standstill. On the dynamometer rig it pulled quite well, adding a 388g V block on the boiler top increased this to a ridiculous length but the wheels were still spinning.

So at lighter weight than the B7 it pulls much more (the B7 couldn't get the Barrow empties out of the fiddle yard) and they are both on Romford wheels, the theoreticians always tell us that adhesion is only related to weight, the number of driving wheels is irrelevant but in my experience more wheels means better adhesion.

• Like 16
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

4 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

the theoreticians always tell us that adhesion is only related to weight, the number of driving wheels is irrelevant but in my experience more wheels means better adhesion.

Definitely!  I have hefty, powerful, well-balanced 0-4-0's that can be easily out-hauled by comparatively light, moderately-powered 0-6-0's.

• RMweb Premium

A new job this week, I've had this test etch for a while now.

IMG_0790.jpg.7d7a9cfe1f9f7086fc8b801c7448e015.jpg

Back to New Zealand in 1:48 scale, this is an Eb Genset loco which will run on an NWSL Stanton drive. I had to lay an extra rail on the test track (nearest) for this gauge.1009767526_ScreenShot2021-09-17at07_43_24.png.b0d2a3c608cc8db8d133002505e700cf.png

This is a preserved one in Auckland, they were rebuilt from the original battery electric by adding an AEC powered genset and conventional cab. The very noticeable gap under the engine part makes construction a bit awkward to say the least.

1397222860_ScreenShot2021-09-17at07_59_49.png.8f768fe0f9a7e7d62e3401dbace79d90.png

The original looked like this.

296694468_Eb26BEoriginal.jpg.3852ff0b8b16f48539b97bf040d50c51.jpg

I'll get round to this version later, the platform and running gear were more or less unaltered.

• Like 10
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

5 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

Back to New Zealand in 1:48 scale, this is an Eb Genset loco which will run on an NWSL Stanton drive. I had to lay an extra rail on the test track (nearest) for this gauge.1009767526_ScreenShot2021-09-17at07_43_24.png.b0d2a3c608cc8db8d133002505e700cf.png

This is a preserved one in Auckland, they were rebuilt from the original battery electric by adding an AEC powered genset and conventional cab. The very noticeable gap under the engine part makes construction a bit awkward to say the least.

1397222860_ScreenShot2021-09-17at07_59_49.png.8f768fe0f9a7e7d62e3401dbace79d90.png

I'll get round to this version later, the platform and running gear were more or less unaltered.

Is this beast 4mm or 7mm Mike?
Chris.

• RMweb Premium

It's 1:48 which gives 3ft 6in gauge with S scale track - S scale is commonly used in New Zealand with 00 gauge track but it is also the O gauge scale used in the USA.

I am now doing work for the Kiwis in 9mm scale (uses O gauge track), 1:48 and 1:64, we've also done some at 1:120 but bizarrely the only commercial scale which exactly correct for 3'6" gauge is not used at all in NZ - so called HOm is too wide for 1000mm but just about spot on for 3'6" in 1:87 scale. We have done a few NZ diesel etches in this scale - sold to a customer in Canada!

I don't choose all this, the customers do, I would personally pick the scale I wanted to use and change the gauge to suit - that's the easiest bit to alter.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

14 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

Hi Mike,

What an unusual and quirky prototype.  I believe that the NZ track gauge is 3' 6" so what track gauge are you working to in model form?

Regards,

Frank