Michael Edge's workbench

• RMweb Premium

You wouldn't like to see what I have to do to some of the operating mechanisms to get them in place......

This layout isn't exactly the unobstructed flat baseboard that the signal mechanisms are designed for and in many places I'm struggling with a 6in deep sub framework as well.

David is talking about doing some video in the next few weeks, I tried a couple of short clips the week before last but not all that successfully. I was there on my own and it really needs a camera operator and someone to drive the trains as well - the light isn't very good either. A driver's eye view would be good if we can get a camera fitted to some rolling stock.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Mike,

This is from a post on the Lime Street topic in 2019.

During the day we managed to find time to play with a miniature WIFI Video camera which we mounted on a flat truck propelled by the Station Pilot.

I've put together this video, of three short clips. 

https://youtu.be/XVXTxqeYplk
Clip 1 is a conventional "drivers view"
Clip 2 is an angled view as a passenger might experience
Clip 3 sees the train held at the signal gantry until it gets the road to Platform 6. This view provides some unique views of the station roof and the surrounding buildings.

The camera was like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/slredirect/picassoRedirect.html/ref=sspa_dk_detail_1?ie=UTF8&adId=A02854581ERBSEYD8N4N9&qualifier=1634646291&id=8697971528262898&widgetName=sp_detail&url=%2Fdp%2FB09B3WD86L%2Fref%3Dsspa_dk_detail_1%3Fpsc%3D1%26pd_rd_i%3DB09B3WD86L%26pd_rd_w%3DNlem0%26pf_rd_p%3D828203ef-618e-4303-a028-460d6b615038%26pd_rd_wg%3DdKyqX%26pf_rd_r%3DWEGP98BY8VRAWVWG9AYR%26pd_rd_r%3De2beb580-87fa-4ccc-a0bf-c1527673562e

Not exactly this model, but things move on over the years........

Good luck.

Steve.

• Like 1

Hi Mike,

Wow, lovely to see these views of the Layout, nice to see Eric Treacey with camera, it is the work of Karen Rush.

I had forgot about Curruck Box, I remember building this now, unusual roof tile/slate pattern.

Thanks for sharing the photos.

• RMweb Premium

I think he just liked the look of it, he certainly didn't know where to put it on the layout. Looking again at the diagrams the box is at the operational equivalent of Currock Junction on the layout - it's Forks junction which doesn't exist on our model because the building wasn't wide enough to get the curve from Bog Junction in.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

It's been a while since I put a test track photo on here so there has been some movement.

IMG_0957.jpg.a376ccce39461794fbc97f8d88ee6a1a.jpg

The Barry 0-8-2T hasn't changed but the second 1361 is well underway. I started on a 7mm EE1 this week as well, we've sold a few of these but this is the first time I've built one and I'm taking the opportunity to do all the pattern making for it - so in future this will be a kit, not just "etches only". Two finished Sentinel steam locos now, production etches on order. The Compound is in for some weight adding to it, it couldn't pull a train on Chapel en le Frith last weekend - the experimental tender is now going on a production etch so there will be a small supply of these. I wasn't going to but the loco was on Herculaneum at the Leeds show and I got quite a few enquiries about it. NZ Eb genset loco is nearly finished but still waiting for some pattern making and the shunter's steps/cowcatchers.

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium
59 minutes ago, New Haven Neil said:

OOohhhh 13 in 7mm  - temptation get thee behind me.

go on, go on!  you know you want one.. in fully lined out NER green.. or BR steam loco lined blue.. or.....

Baz

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

This one is going to be in fully lined out NER green, whether it ever actually carried this livery is open to considerable doubt but a painting diagram exists. The only photos which exist show it painted for the Stockton & Darlington centenary in 1925 and it was never repainted after that, just renumbered twice. There are photos of No13 working test trains but these are in works grey finish, not proper paint.

It will be powered quite prototypically with three n20 motor/gearboxes, one on each axle, I'm experimenting with different gear ratios at the moment, the ones I have are a bit slow and I've ordered some more.

2 hours ago, Sandhole said:

Great to see the Dormans Sentinels are getting closer to being a kit.
Looking forward to getting two of those, Mike.
Regards,
Chris.

All being well we should have this early next year, just the instructions to write now.

1 hour ago, New Haven Neil said:

OOohhhh 13 in 7mm  - temptation get thee behind me.

We don't have any in stock now but there will be some in our next order.....

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

It's been a while since I put a test track photo on here so there has been some movement.

IMG_0957.jpg.a376ccce39461794fbc97f8d88ee6a1a.jpg

The Barry 0-8-2T hasn't changed but the second 1361 is well underway. I started on a 7mm EE1 this week as well, we've sold a few of these but this is the first time I've built one and I'm taking the opportunity to do all the pattern making for it - so in future this will be a kit, not just "etches only". Two finished Sentinel steam locos now, production etches on order. The Compound is in for some weight adding to it, it couldn't pull a train on Chapel en le Frith last weekend - the experimental tender is now going on a production etch so there will be a small supply of these. I wasn't going to but the loco was on Herculaneum at the Leeds show and I got quite a few enquiries about it. NZ Eb genset loco is nearly finished but still waiting for some pattern making and the shunter's steps/cowcatchers.

that compound is far too clean!!

:jester:

Baz

I'd imagine you're aware of this, but a lot of very old electrics I've been inside will have surprisingly exposed machinery.   One preserved dump motor I've seen had a bank of rectifiers (I think) right behind the driver's stand, protected by chicken wire.

• RMweb Premium

I certainly am aware of this - the open knife switch (changes overhead/shoe beams)  in the preserved ES1 is frankly terrifying. Even more scary is thisP8120200small.jpg.3c959ff24e5d84ebe6b4a3306c56740f.jpg one in Dresden museum.

The whole loco is presumably live to the overhead and the handrails are on insulators.

A lot of No13's electrical equipment was inside No2 end and I think the air reservoirs may have been in there as well, I can't see any anywhere else in the diagram,

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 7