Michael Edge's workbench

• RMweb Premium

Same both ends, it won't have anything else to do. I've also got photos of a 47 with 9G97 (with what looks like a spoil train off the colliery branch) and also a 47 showing 9G91 in the colliery siding - although that might be the other end of the same loco. Any movement on the down line involved at least two locos and/or some shunting.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, Michael Edge said:

Same both ends, it won't have anything else to do. I've also got photos of a 47 with 9G97 (with what looks like a spoil train off the colliery branch) and also a 47 showing 9G91 in the colliery siding - although that might be the other end of the same loco. Any movement on the down line involved at least two locos and/or some shunting.

Leave it with me.

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/10/2020 at 11:53, Michael Edge said:

Latest workbench photo from yesterday.

IMG_0330.jpg.2b83904035d653effa25afb12b6c0825.jpg

The GKN 0-6-0T has moved on a bit now, in the centre the next loco for Wentworth Junction - a Q4 - and on the right my current 7mm job is well under way now - GW 1361 0-6-0ST. […]

Those all look very nice indeed. Is the Q4 from your own etches, and is there any chance they'll be available?

Mike,

I'd be thinking seriously of shipping the buildings to France before 1st January.  I wouldn't like to be responsible for the duty payable, let alone the paperwork that will probably be involved.  I took delivery of wine direct from a co-operative in south-west France today just to avoid any duty that will probably be payable in 2021.

HTH,

Stan

On 04/11/2020 at 19:16, Michael Edge said:

The Q4 is from my etches but there were quite a few errors and omissions in it - for example I'd forgotten to draw the footplate angle. I think I was compiling this test etch in a considerable hurry.

That's a shame, the Q4 is on my list of locos I'd like to build one day. 

Do you get any noise through that method of restraining the gearbox with the cross pieces Mike?  I would have put a thin piece of foam either side myself - but perhaps I have a tendency to over think things!

The buildings from Kiev are both beautiful and remarkable, given that they are done by folk who've never seen anything like the real thing.

I think I'd be terrified to open the crate if I were you. The thought that some idiot might have dropped it the wrong way up or something like doesn't bear thinking about.

John.

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, 5050 said:

Do you get any noise through that method of restraining the gearbox with the cross pieces Mike?  I would have put a thin piece of foam either side myself - but perhaps I have a tendency to over think things!

It doesn't move much - and I like to keep everything simple!

3 hours ago, John Tomlinson said:

The buildings from Kiev are both beautiful and remarkable, given that they are done by folk who've never seen anything like the real thing.

I think I'd be terrified to open the crate if I were you. The thought that some idiot might have dropped it the wrong way up or something like doesn't bear thinking about.

John.

Apparently the baggage handlers in Cyprus were observed to be extremely careful and it looks as though they were just as good at Heathrow - I will admit to being a bit nervous when I took the lid off though. 

The Ukrainians didn't know anything about UK buildings when they started (and only one of them speaks English) but they have learned very quickly - they are architectural modellers and seem to understand the information I send them very well. They now quite frequently spot things in the photos that I've missed myself!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 05/11/2020 at 19:15, Stanley Melrose said:

I'd be thinking seriously of shipping the buildings to France before 1st January.  I wouldn't like to be responsible for the duty payable, let alone the paperwork that will probably be involved.  I took delivery of wine direct from a co-operative in south-west France today just to avoid any duty that will probably be payable in 2021.

It isn't just the fact that duty - and VAT - will become payable on all but the tiniest consignments, every shipment will face Customs' delays and, even if they decide that duty/VAT isn't payable, there will still be a charge to cover the cost of their examination. However, that is just buying goods and books, what is, in many ways worse, is that exhibiting British layouts in Europe and European layouts in the UK will become unaffordable because the owners will need to obtain a Carnet de Passage en Douane, basically an insurance policy guaranteeing the payment of duty/VAT if the layout isn't, for some reason, returned to its home country after exhibition. Like many one-off insurance policies these don't come cheap, I've heard suggestions of charges of the order of £ 1.000 or more. Similar problems apply to musicians and their instruments, but at least there their representatives have some muscle and the EU seems to have put in place a scheme which avoids such costs - but it doesn't apply to model railways.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

Completed photo of Arthur Keen.

93909815_17-06fl.jpg.f3aa53ec809cc09ffc5d0ad34b860f8a.jpg

272472062_17-06framescompleted.jpg.9f73d0f8a599d3d93abf0c48498a625a.jpg

Frames with Slater's motor and gearbox fitted, two bars soldered across the top restrain the gearbox while still allowing the wheelset to rise and fall.

That will be on its way soon so back to the 7mm 1361.

IMG_0370.jpg.a32f30eecddb7eb0a0f0e29669d21179.jpg

Saddle tank locos do tend to look a bit strange without the tank. This will be built separately and pegged to the front of the cab in the same way as our JE saddle tank kits, although in this case the boiler is soldered on to the footplate. The cab roof will be removable this time, it overhangs all round so presents no problem.

Beautiful looking loco!

1 hour ago, bécasse said:

It isn't just the fact that duty - and VAT - will become payable on all but the tiniest consignments, every shipment will face Customs' delays and, even if they decide that duty/VAT isn't payable, there will still be a charge to cover the cost of their examination. However, that is just buying goods and books, what is, in many ways worse, is that exhibiting British layouts in Europe and European layouts in the UK will become unaffordable because the owners will need to obtain a Carnet de Passage en Douane, basically an insurance policy guaranteeing the payment of duty/VAT if the layout isn't, for some reason, returned to its home country after exhibition. Like many one-off insurance policies these don't come cheap, I've heard suggestions of charges of the order of £ 1.000 or more. Similar problems apply to musicians and their instruments, but at least there their representatives have some muscle and the EU seems to have put in place a scheme which avoids such costs - but it doesn't apply to model railways.

If so that will have a major impact on shows like the annual IPMS Show at Telford. I suspect a goodly proportion of the trade stands and 'special interest displays' are from across the Channel.

12 hours ago, Arun Sharma said:

If so that will have a major impact on shows like the annual IPMS Show at Telford. I suspect a goodly proportion of the trade stands and 'special interest displays' are from across the Channel.

It isn't just Customs' that will form an impediment from January to visits by Europeans to the UK for exhibitions, etc. It has been announced by the Home Office that they will no longer allow Europeans to enter the UK using their identity cards on the spurious grounds that they are less secure than passports (really, do you now have to have a police visit in the UK before you can get a passport - or move home?). The majority of Europeans don't possess passports, because the ID cards replace them for travel within Europe, and I think it unlikely that they will go to the trouble, and expense, of getting one just to travel to the UK. They will just forgo that "pleasure" instead.

Personally, I should still be able to enter if I so wish as I retained my UK citizenship (one has to pay a substantial sum to revoke it) and the British Ambassador in Bruxelles assures me that British citizens don't actually need passports to enter the UK.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Test etch for the SR 0-6-0DE is on order, etchers are a bit slow at the moment. C14 may wait until I've built another one, Ian Rathbone has the first one for painting now. ED1 isn't in my list, that's an 80hp Fowler, ED2-6 waiting to see if I can find drawings or dimensions. Plenty of other stuff on the way though - I can't just work on one project at a time!

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1